Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corned beef brisket - gotta cook today but how ?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
sorry for being lazy (search function i know) but thawed this guy 5 days ago, so out of time, HAVE TO COOK TODAY . . . I started the BGE already early this AM so hoping to avoid a long SV but a boil is possible I guess, I dont know . . what should I do ?? 
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• depends on how you like it. The steam instructions on the label will give you traditional corned beef. Rub it down with coriander/black pepper/salt/sugar and smoke it and you will have pastrami.

I like pastrami.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2020
    Here is the pastrami rub. This makes a lot so you could cut it down by 50-75% and have plenty.

Grind together the following ingredients to make the coating for the outside of the pastrami: 

Salt 150g

Sugar 150g

Black peppercorns 144g

Coriander seeds, toasted 84g

Juniper berries 20g

Chilli flakes 13g

• NDG
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker excellent - Im going smoke this B . . so remove from package, dry off brine & remove brine seasonings . . then rub down with this fresh coating of seasoning (thanks for blend) & smoke at 250ish until IT of 200F ??
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2020
    NDG said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker excellent - Im going smoke this B . . so remove from package, dry off brine & remove brine seasonings . . then rub down with this fresh coating of seasoning (thanks for blend) & smoke at 250ish until IT of 200F ??

That's the way I would do it. I would give it a very good rinse and pat dry before adding the rub.

Keep in mind that the rub recipe I gave you is enough for probably 2 whole briskets. Since you are clocking in at 2lbs, you could cut it WAY down. like 90%

Also since its a small piece of flat, I would give it a quick 15 minute steam after the smoke. That will soften it up even more.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i would cover in cold water, bring to a boil, shut it down and let it cool some. its uncured but salty for a smoke so get atleast some salt out, ideally its best to just soak overnight in the fridge. then skip the salt in whatever rub you use, salt will resurface during the cook. i like to finish them in a pressure cooker, 15 minutes makes a huge difference
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    edited September 2020
    awesome thanks guys - this forum . . it just makes me happy  :)
    Columbus, OH

• I smoke them at 250 for 3 to 4 hours then pull them off put them in a pan with water diced onions and garlic cover with foil and into the oven until tender.
  • NDG
    thanks, I like the finish w/ pressure cooker idea . . but if I serve this like pastrami, I will lose the crust . . hmm I guess I can steam like Cen Tex said and still keep some crust.
    Columbus, OH

• NDG said:
    thanks, I like the finish w/ pressure cooker idea . . but if I serve this like pastrami, I will lose the crust . . hmm I guess I can steam like Cen Tex said and still keep some crust.

it will keep some crust in the steam. I've never pressure cooked but I imagine it would hold up there as well.
  • NDG
    edited September 2020
    NDG said:

it will keep some crust in the steam. I've never pressure cooked but I imagine it would hold up there as well.
    thanks - its smoking now - made the rub (found juniper berries DEEP in the spice cab!) . . After I plan to add cup of h20 to pressure cooker and lay beef on raised rack (so its not sitting in h20) and go high pressure for 15 mins (thanks @fishlessman for PC idea) and see what we got . .  
    Columbus, OH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    NDG said:
    NDG said:

thanks - its smoking now - made the rub (found juniper berries DEEP in the spice cab!) . . After I plan to add cup of h20 to pressure cooker and lay beef on raised rack (so its not sitting in h20) and go high pressure for 15 mins (thanks @fishlessman for PC idea) and see what we got . .  

read this about pressure cooker times, im at sea level so my times may be different

this one was small and pressure cooked

Image result for pastrami fishlessman

this one was cured with kosher salt only, more a local thing, great with a good mustard, notice its not red from the curing agents. i did not pressure cook this one

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I know it's too late, but since that is corned (salted), it has a shelf life of many weeks, if not months outside the freezer in the fridge.  The nitrite doesn't extend the shelf life like the salt.
    NDG said:
    Woah it’s very good, and most important . . Tender!!  First i soaked in cold water then brought to boil as Egg got settled.  Dried, cooled, applied coat of canola oil and new fresh Pastrami Rub.  

Then On the smoker for 5 hrs, with 3 chunks of post oak at 250F - crust looked excellent, internal temp was still only 180 or something.  

Pulled off BGE and slight rest before 15 mins in pressure cooker raised (not touching h20) with cup cold h20 below, high pressure for 15 mins, natural release.  

Smelled great, let it cool and cut thin against grain, and DAMN it’s tasty !! Will make some world class sandwiches no doubt.  Thanks for helping me along the way.

i like how the beet powder got it that red. next time try the overnight soak, i boil a cup of water with smashed garlic and add that to the soak
    fukahwee maine

• NDG
    Lighting is a little odd, but your right color is nice 
    Columbus, OH

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Congrats on the great cook @NDG   I'm going to give it a go soon.  And thanks everyone for their contribution as well.  Love the forum!
    Los Angeles, CA
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Last St. Patrick's Day, I followed this dude's technique and it turned out great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWw8cFve4E

Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• nolaegghead
    Update:  red beet powder can contain 1 to 3% nitrate.  When it is fermented, some of that nitrate is converted to nitrite.  So that explains the color

yes, but it's uncured!

People who afraid of nitrates and nitrites had better never eat green leafy vegetables again. spinach, kale, beets, and celery all contain way more nitrate/nitrite than bacon.

I love how Boar's Head advertises that all of their meats (including salamis, Coppa, etc) are now "uncured". The first non meat ingredient is usually celery powder.
  • and every meat at the deli counter (including charcuterie) at Whole Foods is miraculously "uncured" as well. They are taking a ton of liberty with that. They are getting nitrate and nitrite through other sources than  Cure 1 or cure 2 but it's the exact same result. Shady AF, but that is the world of commercial food.
  • nolaegghead
    Why O why are we living in a world of such dishonesty? 

(Answer: greed)
    Why O why are we living in a world of such dishonesty? 

(Answer: greed)

I believe your answer is correct but the question should read "why are we living in a world where the USDA requires misleading labeling". 
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • NDG
    The uncured BS gets me so mad, I have had discussions with so many ppl who fall for the marketing BS.  In Ruhlman we trust.
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Centex lol I got your message, pic def looks like I cut with grain hahah.  I’ll check Sunday when I get home.  I was drinking heavy watching the battle of Ohio (burrow is a superhero) and decided to get it out and slice at 11:30pm.  It was tender tho !
    Columbus, OH

• NDG said:
    Centex lol I got your message, pic def looks like I cut with grain hahah.  I’ll check Sunday when I get home.  I was drinking heavy watching the battle of Ohio (burrow is a superhero) and decided to get it out and slice at 11:30pm.  It was tender tho !
    it happens 😂 
  • NDG

Columbus, OH