Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basket wings, 2nd try

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited September 2020 in EggHead Forum
My first batch, to much smoke and not cooked long enough.
This was another family pack, and they were large wings. 14 wings, so 28 pieces. Filled the basket pretty well.
My first batch went about 90 minutes at unknown temp on Weber Kettle.
This batch went almost 2 hours at 350-400. Last 15 with dome off.
I seasoned with MC Gospel and a little corn starch. Most of the seasoning gets tumbled off.
skin getting close to crispy and meat was tender close to perfect.
I think another 15-20 minutes or slightly higher temp would crisp the skin much better.
But honestly, still not as good as normal, raised direct or even raised indirect.
The seasoning, being caramelized onto the food during grilling, for me, is better. But the basket is stupid easy and every piece looks evenly cooked.

I think if you’re a sauce after grilling person, you might really like spinning in a basket.
Im going to try other things besides wings. Little potatoes, asparagus, sausage pieces, shrimp and then come back for wings one more time. I do have a 3 speed motor coming. So maybe that will help.
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Photo Egg
    On a side note. My first basket cook was very little seasoning but basket still looked rough. We scrubbed it pretty good in the sink before putting into dishwasher and it came out super clean. Ok, wife scrubbed it pretty good before going into dishwasher.
    This time it went straight into dishwasher like others have recommended. We have a pretty good Bosch unit. Well, it’s not good enough. What a mess inside. I Just had to pull out the strainer and wipe out the gunk, and clean out the drain. Then scrub the basket in the sink. Basket now looks super clean but sure wasn’t worth the hassle. I will never use seasoning again besides salt and pepper, butter and oil.
    Re-running dishwasher again to hopefully clear out the rest of the gunk off the other dishes.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Photo Egg said:
    But honestly, still not as good as normal, raised direct or even raised indirect.
    The seasoning, being caramelized onto the food during grilling, for me, is better. But the basket is stupid easy and every piece looks evenly cooked.
    Thank you for sharing the details.  I have looked a this big round basket and wondered if exactly what you said would happen... how would the seasoning stay on the outside with all that bouncing around? I was tempted to get one because I have a flat basket which will hold a 4lbs bag of frozen wings.  I was hoping with a basket maybe I could cook 8 lbs. at a time, which is better for a party.

So, in terms of the JoeT on the BGE, I have to say my flat basket is awesome.  The wings stay in a fixed position and they come out perfect every time.  Crisp with all the seasoning I want still on it.  You can even baste them while cooking if you want.  Honestly, my only complaint was I wanted to cook more at one time.

By the way, those wings look great and I'd agree, they are a perfect texture for a post-cook sauce.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    I tried wings in the basket and it wasn’t crispy, had the lump push to sides. Cleaning wasn’t too bad after overnight soak. More practices needed  :)
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg said:
    I seasoned with MC Gospel and a little corn starch. Most of the seasoning gets tumbled off.
    I think another 15-20 minutes or slightly higher temp would crisp the skin much better.

How long did you air dry before cooking?  The last batch I did, I tossed the wings in corn starch, then let air dry in the fridge for about 6 hours.  They turned out perfect.

For cleaning - I spray the basket and spit rod with Pam before using.  Afterward, I knock off most off the crud and toss into the dishwasher.  No need to clean the DW filter and it comes out clean.
    Raleigh, NC
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited September 2020
    Nice cook, very Interesting . . bc my experiences using joetisserie w/ same basket for Wings has been nothing short of phenomenal.  I have good reference point as I have made wings 30+ times (direct, raised direct, raised indirect, etc) and document most my cooks.  Spining them in basket has been night & day better.  Yours look very similar to mine, so I guess its "to each their own"  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Photo Egg
    rekameohs said:
    Photo Egg said:

How long did you air dry before cooking?  The last batch I did, I tossed the wings in corn starch, then let air dry in the fridge for about 6 hours.  They turned out perfect.

For cleaning - I spray the basket and spit rod with Pam before using.  Afterward, I knock off most off the crud and toss into the dishwasher.  No need to clean the DW filter and it comes out clean.
    Your perfect and my perfect might not be the same. 
    A greasy, shiny wing with no caramelization from grilling or seasoning is not what I like. To me, basket wings look like they went through Derm abrasion treatment to remove all the good things I like in a wing.
    I did spray but the spice seasoning, after cooking, was only nicely caramelized to the basket. Most released in the dishwasher as fairly tough stringy strands. A thorough cleaning needed to be done in sink even after one pass in dishwasher.
    If you were using no seasoning, I could understand why you had less. My note was just a warning to others who might like seasoning on their wings. But honestly, it’s nearly a waste of time to season as basket just scrapes it off with surgical skill.
    I’m truly happy you like the results you are getting. That’s what it’s all about. Learning and finding what you like.
    But all the points I made are valid even if they are not a concern to you, they might be to others.
    But if I didn’t have the knowledge to pull the drain filter out of my dishwasher and clean it out, I would be waiting for a repairman right now.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    NDG said:
    Nice cook, very Interesting . . bc my experiences using joetisserie w/ same basket for Wings has been nothing short of phenomenal.  I have good reference point as I have made wings 30+ times (direct, raised direct, raised indirect, etc) and document most my cooks.  Spining them in basket has been night & day better.  Yours look very similar to mine, so I guess its "to each their own"  
    I love how easy it is after set up.
    The wings are cooked very even.
    But the final outcome is just not what I like in a wing, or any part of a chicken.
    They are basically plain, un breaded wings with little to know seasoning.
    I know many like this plain style tossed in their favorite flavor sauce. But I’m not a sauce fan.
    Its all good. And I’m happy many like their wings this way because it’s damn easy once it’s set up and cooking. Pretty much set up and walk away for 90 minutes. Agree, it’s just personal preference.
    Can’t wait to try other foods in the basket.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Thanks for the honest review.  Hadn't considered that the rotating basket would knock off the seasoning.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    To be honest, those wangs look mighty tasty.

But, I understand quests. And am looking forward to the final result that satisfies you. Then I can just steal it, and enjoy some damn awesome wings =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    One of the features of a ceramic cooker is even, radiant heat from all directions, once you let it get up to full temperature.  You shouldn't have to "flip" any protein, if yer doing it right.  
    I've been intrigued with the Joe-tisserie, and the baskets, but the cleaning/storage issues have given me pause; this thread has helped me make a decision.  I'm going to continue to cook indirect, after a good long pre-heat.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:
    One of the features of a ceramic cooker is even, radiant heat from all directions, once you let it get up to full temperature.  You shouldn't have to "flip" any protein, if yer doing it right. 
    Isn't the side closest to the fire hotter than the side away from the fire?  If not, why is there a distinction about dome temperature vs grate temp ?
    Raleigh, NC
  • Photo Egg said:
    Your perfect and my perfect might not be the same. 
    A greasy, shiny wing with no caramelization from grilling or seasoning is not what I like. To me, basket wings look like they went through Derm abrasion treatment to remove all the good things I like in a wing.

Not sure how a plain wing with only cornstarch would be more greasy than one with seasoning.

Glad we have each found a method we like. 

Raleigh, NC
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    I like joetisserie wings. I do sauce though. I don't think I've ever went 90 minutes at 400 though. I would prefer a well cooked wing to an overcooked wing with crispy skin though. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    rekameohs said:
    Botch said:
    Isn't the side closest to the fire hotter than the side away from the fire?  If not, why is there a distinction about dome temperature vs grate temp ?
    If you have REALLY EFFECTIVE blocking of the rising heat, the egg works more like an oven and it is hotter in the dome than on the grid - except in the small spaces where the heat is rising around the heat blocker.  

However, one layer of ceramic doesn't usually accomplish this in my experience - so even when I cook wings indirect the bottom of the wing cooks faster than the top.  This is probably because of the fire sitting right under the platesetter getting it very hot and the radiant heat from the ceramic cooking the underside of the wings.

If I add another layer such as an air gap and then a layer of foil or a drip pan - THEN the wings cook evenly, or maybe a little faster on top than they do on their bottom surface.  When they are high up in the dome they can get some radiant heat from the ceramic up there to their top side as well.  

Does that make sense? (I'm not sure that I'm describing things adequately).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    Botch said:
    I've been intrigued with the Joe-tisserie, and the baskets, but the cleaning/storage issues have given me pause; this thread has helped me make a decision.  I'm going to continue to cook indirect, after a good long pre-heat.  
    Noooooo!  Don't discount the JoeT.  PhotoE was just saying that the particular basket he bought does not work for his desired results. Makes sense to me and is why I have resisted getting a basket that bumps them around loose.

There are so many great things you can do on the JoeT (including wings) that cannot be achieved to the same quality sitting motionless on a rack.  I put so many things on it, you don't have to worry about hot areas, the meat self bastes, you can cook right over the charcoal where to get similar results without a JoeT you would be cooking indirect to prevent charring. It is simply an awesome accessory for our eggs.

My flat basket cleans up easily.  In fact, I put the JoeT spit, the spikes, the basket... all of it on the top rack of my dishwasher with no wiping. I run it on the pots and pans setting and it comes up glistening.  I don't actually know how it does it, but it works great on my end. (and the screen at the bottom of my washer is clean as well)

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Photo Egg said:
    ...To me, basket wings look like they went through Derm abrasion treatment to remove all the good things I like in a wing.
    =) this comment cracked me up.  Makes perfect sense, just comically stated.
    LBGE/Maryland