Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: "Free" Donations To Charitable Causes (smile.amazon.com)

dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,061
edited September 2020 in Off Topic
Received a quarterly report from Amazon today.  If you shop Amazon and are not currently aware, 0.5% of your purchase price can be directed to various charities.  In our case it is a Beagle rescue organization.  The results below are an aggregate from all users that have designated Midwest BREW as their charity, $6,500. to date for the hounds.
If you are interested the free money is easy to get, just shop at smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com  You can get the details here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/homepage/
This is your quarterly AmazonSmile donation notification to inform you that Midwest Beagle Rescue Education And Welfare Inc received a new donation of $431.03.

Thanks to customers shopping at AmazonSmile, everyday purchases generated over $200 million in donations to charities worldwide so far.

See AmazonSmile's impact to date:
  • $6,485.87 to Midwest Beagle Rescue Education And Welfare Inc
  • $198,636,544.70 to all charities in the US
  • $215,721,458.97 to all charities worldwide
Track your AmazonSmile impact at any time.

Thanks for supporting Midwest Beagle Rescue Education And Welfare Inc and continuing to generate donations by shopping at smile.amazon.com or with AmazonSmile ON in the app.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited September 2020
    I've been using it for a few years.  I used to donate to the local PAWS shelter, but now it goes to my daughter's school PTO.

The mobile apps do it too, but you have to "turn it on".
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I've used it for many years to help support my local library.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    OhioEgger said:
    I've used it for many years to help support my local library.

I've done the same for the Maryland Food Bank. 

I'm also thankful they finally adjusted the phone app so you can set that to shop through Smile.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Same. 

This is your quarterly AmazonSmile donation notification to inform you that The Nature Conservancy received a new donation of $298,480.16.

Thanks to customers shopping at AmazonSmile, everyday purchases generated over $200 million in donations to charities worldwide so far.

See AmazonSmile's impact to date:
    • $4,335,966.13 to The Nature Conservancy 
    • $198,636,544.70 to all charities in the US 
    • $215,721,458.97 to all charities worldwide
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I didn't know this thanks for the heads up.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
  • I do the same. I'll hold off stating which non-profit I donate to. I don't want people's heads to explode :).

I am big fan of beagles and nature though. Excellent choices.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    edited September 2020
    I do the same. I'll hold off stating which non-profit I donate to. I don't want people's heads to explode :).

This just begs speculation and wagering.

me first:

https://www.classy.org/campaign/save-the-squirrels/c83608

or 

https://banditranchrehab.org/donation
  • I use it to donate to St. Jude Children's hospital, but I recently learned they are worth 5 billion. Think I will find a charity a little more in need.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I do the same. I'll hold off stating which non-profit I donate to. I don't want people's heads to explode :).

100% it is the Greater Austin Raccoon Rescue and Rehabilitation Foundation.
    Las Vegas, NV

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I use it to donate to St. Jude Children's hospital, but I recently learned they are worth 5 billion. Think I will find a charity a little more in need.
    I changed from Operation BBQ relief to St Judes . . . I'm with you on changing to a different charity more in need.
    Thank You for the info!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Got my kids' school on there.  They get a surprising amount of money for a relatively small school. 

Funny thing, you can select the NRA Foundation.  Bet that burns Amazon every time they cut that check.  One thing to note though, the NRA Foundation just provides grants to firearm safety education, shooting sports, and range upgrades....no lobbying, politics, etc.  Still gotta hurt though.
  • I use it to donate to St. Jude Children's hospital, but I recently learned they are worth 5 billion. Think I will find a charity a little more in need.
    If ever there was a charity that deserves it. 

You can also look up charities and what % go towards the actual cause. Amazing how low some are. 
    Boom
  • I've been using it for a few years.  I used to donate to the local PAWS shelter, but now it goes to my daughter's school PTO.

The mobile apps do it too, but you have to "turn it on".
    Thanks. Didn't know that about the app. Just enabled. 
    Boom

You can also look up charities and what % go towards the actual cause. Amazing how low some are. 
    Charitynavigator.org

Charitywatch.org

One big offender was Wounded Warrior Project.  They took a LOT of liberties with how they spent them money.  Board meetings in the Caymans, big bucks for the execs, etc.  After it finally went public, I think 60 minutes did a story on them.......after all that BS stopped.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Got my kids' school on there.  They get a surprising amount of money for a relatively small school. 

Funny thing, you can select the NRA Foundation.  Bet that burns Amazon every time they cut that check.  One thing to note though, the NRA Foundation just provides grants to firearm safety education, shooting sports, and range upgrades....no lobbying, politics, etc.  Still gotta hurt though.
    The only thing Amazon cares about is that they hope folks will spend more money on the Amazon site if the buyer feels their purchase is helping a cause they support.

That's the whole point of "smile" and "affiliate links" - more sales for Amazon.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

If I remember correctly, at least 95% goes to actually helping the kids. Great cause, and a properly run organization. But I believe that a charity that is sitting on that much money, if invested properly, can never receive another nickel, and keep doing what it is doing.
    Seriously considering switching it to Nuke The Baby Whales For Jesus.
  • Legume
    HeavyG said:
    Got my kids' school on there.  They get a surprising amount of money for a relatively small school. 

The only thing Amazon cares about is that they hope folks will spend more money on the Amazon site if the buyer feels their purchase is helping a cause they support.

That's the whole point of "smile" and "affiliate links" - more sales for Amazon.
    Hahahaha - manufactured conflict.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I use it to donate to St. Jude Children's hospital, but I recently learned they are worth 5 billion. Think I will find a charity a little more in need.

If I remember correctly, at least 95% goes to actually helping the kids. Great cause, and a properly run organization. But I believe that a charity that is sitting on that much money, if invested properly, can never receive another nickel, and keep doing what it is doing.
    Seriously considering switching it to Nuke The Baby Whales For Jesus.
    Just taking a look at their 2019 financial statements they spend about 1.5 billion dollars per year to run their joint. Having assets of just 3 or 4 times their annual budget doesn't seem too outrageous to me as that gives them some cover in case of the lean years when the economy isn't doing so well and they perhaps don't get the annual donations they historically receive.

I mean, we live in a world where a place like Harvard University with an endowment of over 40 billion dollars still have the balls to charge students about $80K per year.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume said:
    HeavyG said:

Hahahaha - manufactured conflict.

After reading the book you recommended it is very clear: 'tis the way of the online world these days.
  • Legume said:

This just begs speculation and wagering.

me first:

https://www.classy.org/campaign/save-the-squirrels/c83608

or 

https://banditranchrehab.org/donation

ha ha- Bandit Ranch Rehab: "Dedicated to the brave 2nd raccoon in"
  • Such a great way to donate!  I've been doing it for years, but just switched to World Central Kitchen this year:
    • $6,986.79 to World Central Kitchen, Inc.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Such a great way to donate!  I've been doing it for years, but just switched to World Central Kitchen this year:

Think I need to make a change as well. We donate every year but this is a great cause to stack on top of that.

Think I need to make a change as well. We donate every year but this is a great cause to stack on top of that.
    Great to hear, John. To me, Jose Andres, and the work that he does, deserves a Nobel Prize. When no one else shows up, or when everyone leaves, he's THERE.  My hero!!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.