Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

J Leonardi’s Brisket Technique

Options
My dad who is an airline pilot was flying on a trip with another pilot who, while on layover in Austin, visited J Leonardi’s BBQ Trailer, which is right by Franklin. He said that how they smoke their brisket is by slow cooking it until it reaches 200-something internal, wrapping it in butcher paper, shutting down the smoker, and letting the brisket rest overnight in the smoker. Has anyone else heard of this technique? I’m planning on trying it soon.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is the first I’ve heard of them but they have great reviews. I’ll have to check them out. 

This process is pretty common, especially with the trailer guys. They cook all day, go home at midnight and show back up Early to prep the next day. It’s the only way they can get any sleep and be ready for service the next day. 

Franklin pulls his briskets at midnight and puts them In CVAP warmers  for 11 hours until they open. Same process but fancier equipment. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Wilbers_Fan_1997
    Options
    This is the first I’ve heard of them but they have great reviews. I’ll have to check them out. 

This process is pretty common, especially with the trailer guys. They cook all day, go home at midnight and show back up Early to prep the next day. It’s the only way they can get any sleep and be ready for service the next day. 

Franklin pulls his briskets at midnight and puts them In CVAP warmers  for 11 hours until they open. Same process but fancier equipment. 
    Overnight, as in closer to 8 hours, or closer to 12 hours?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2020
    Options

Overnight, as in closer to 8 hours, or closer to 12 hours?

Depends on when they start and end service. Most start around 11 am and serve until sold out (could be 1-2pm or a little later depending on how busy they are). The briskets served at 11am have been holding for 10-12 hours, or longer, depending on when they were done. The briskets served at 1-2pm or later have been holding that much longer. The briskets you see on the pits when you are there for lunch today are going to be pulled much later that night, held overnight somehow, and served tomorrow. Some shut down the pits and hold that way, others have CVAP warmers that add moisture. Depends on your budget and how much space you have. Most trailer guys don't have the space or budget for  large CVAP ovens so they use the pits. Some cook offsite in commissary kitchens and have more options. The guys just getting started usually just have a trailer and pit or 2 so they have to use what they have.

This model is for the traditional lunch-only type places that serve until sold out then close for the day. For the guys who serve dinner as well, they cook around the clock but most still hold for a period of time. Those who do not hold at all make crappy brisket. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I would never leave a brisket inside my Egg overnight, which cools down completely in about 4 hours; I'm surprised they can keep a bunch (hmm, that mass may be the key) of brisket warm for 8 hours in a metal tube.  :confused: 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    I would never leave a brisket inside my Egg overnight, which cools down completely in about 4 hours; I'm surprised they can keep a bunch (hmm, that mass may be the key) of brisket warm for 8 hours in a metal tube.  :confused: 
    It’s probably not 8 hrs without supervision. They have people come in at 4-5 am to light the fires for ribs for that day’s service. They can throw some coals in the brisket smokers to keep them warm until service if they don’t have holding ovens to transfer them to. 

For those who care, when the ribs come off for lunch, tomorrow’s briskets go on. And round and round we go. 

Keep in mind that most of these trailers do 4-5 briskets a day. 20 a day would be a very successful trailer operation so most can use coolers to hold if they need to. Franklin does 110 a day which is a while other animal.