Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Timbertech / Trex deck

Options
Does anyone have any experiences with either of these products. I'm at the point to where I HAVE to re-do my back deck..
I had my heart set on sucking up and going with one of the above..but reviews online are either love or hate..

Real world users out there ? 90% of porch will be non-covered 

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    We have it on our covered porch at the family lake house. It’s awesome. Biggest downside is what it costs. We’re eventually doing the whole walkway and swim deck on the pier in it. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    When we recently did our deck and covered porch I wanted to use Trex but as I am 64 years old I couldn’t justify the price as it would outlive me😂😂 However it is a great looking product and cool locking/fastening system 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't do TigerDeck.  For $7/ft, that stuff was a huge disappointment.   Was pretty like in this pic for about 2 months, then it turned gray.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Have 16 year old trex at the lake. It has held up and retained its color well.  It’s also virtually maintenance free.  

For negatives- it does get pretty hot in the sun and you can't pressure wash it. 

For the house- I am thinking about using something like an environmentally friendlier version of Ipe. Roughly the same cost as trex and long lifespan with a little maintenance. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    4 years ago we had ours resurfaced and expanded in Fiberon.  Still loving it.  Just starting to see a minor scratch here and there - likely from my wife dragging furniture...otherwise there's no sign of wear.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We can barely get ground contact lumber here in west Michigan.  Prices are up 40 percent.  The maintenance free manufactured composite stuff is hard to come by too. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    We can barely get ground contact lumber here in west Michigan.  Prices are up 40 percent.  The maintenance free manufactured composite stuff is hard to come by too. 
    Building materials are becoming scarce in the mid-Atlantic, too.  Prices for some materials (plywood) have tripled.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Have 16 year old trex at the lake. It has held up and retained its color well.  It’s also virtually maintenance free.  

For negatives- it does get pretty hot in the sun and you can't pressure wash it. 

For the house- I am thinking about using something like an environmentally friendlier version of Ipe. Roughly the same cost as trex and long lifespan with a little maintenance. 
    @Wolfpack

I'm looking to replace my deck next summer but I haven't done any serious research yet. I'm curious why you can't pressure wash your Trex deck?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Agreed. Being on a Trex deck in the summer with direct sun is almost unbearable. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • JohnEggGio
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Re temp.  Back when I was evaluating choices I took 3 samples of fiberon ranging from the dark (which we chose) to a grayish.  Using my infrared thermo, I found there wasn't a lot of variation in temp in direct summer sun.  The real surprise came when checking the temp of the cedar decking I was replacing - it was about 6 degrees hotter than the hottest fiberon!  All that said, yes, it does get hot.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Wolfpack said:

@Wolfpack

I'm looking to replace my deck next summer but I haven't done any serious research yet. I'm curious why you can't pressure wash your Trex deck?
    Well I stand corrected- when it was installed the contractor told us not to as it would ruin the surface. Reading the Trex website is says it’s safe to do with very light pressure settings. They recommend a deck cleaner option though.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    WeberWho said:
    Wolfpack said:

@Wolfpack

Well I stand corrected- when it was installed the contractor told us not to as it would ruin the surface. Reading the Trex website is says it’s safe to do with very light pressure settings. They recommend a deck cleaner option though.  
    I can attest to only light pressure.  High pressure starts to make deck look like a plastic cutting board after a while. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Wolfpack said:
    WeberWho said:
    Wolfpack said:

@Wolfpack

I can attest to only light pressure.  High pressure starts to make deck look like a plastic cutting board after a while. 
    Most people figure this out in the first minute or two.  But some, strangely but not surprisingly, don't. 
    I’m so glad you started this. I’m having to make this decision next week. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Was the 30 years the lumber lasted not long enough?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Value added when you sell the home with composite deck? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @alaskanassasin not so much value added for me..as it is ease of care, less maintenance and long term durability...my wooden deck has only lasted about 5 years..pretty sure P.O. didn't use treated lumber though 
    I work too hard and too long to pay that kind of money to have to re-do or have it fall apart, or not be able to sit outside due to heat issues. I want this to be a one and done project...
    For the brain trust..this porch Is about 15 feet up in air if that matters.
    so trying to really research...and I sincerely appreciate everyone's posts. Hope more will comment and help with the decision process.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2020
    Options

Added this vinyl deck in 2017.  No hidden fasteners, it was put down using stainless steel nails with a pneumatic nail gun. Built over PT wood framing. Still looks good as new. Wash off with a hose when it needs it.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DuckDogDr
    Options
    @SamIAm2 what brand is that 
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I have Trex. It’s great . I got the gray color which wasn’t as expensive as some of the fancier colors . It’s holding up well. My dad built a deck 5 years ago and the decking rotted already, and yes it was all treated lumber . He replaced it this year with brownish Trex and it looks great . Worth the expense for it to last forever . Only downside is you need shoes to walk on it on a hot sunny day it will burn you. 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• SamIAm2
    edited September 2020
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @SamIAm2 what brand is that 
    DuckDogDr - I don't remember if the manufacturer was ever mentioned but I will call the installer tomorrow to find out. Heck, I got the year the deck was installed wrong in my post. It was actually installed in 2016. I did do some research and found a manufacturer offering a similar product - VIKAdeck.

Just took a photo of two pieces leftover from the original installation which shows different grain patterns for the top and bottom sides. 

The VIKAdeck literature here http://vekainc.com/expert/olp/2020-DeckBrochure-WEB.pdf does not mention having two grain patterns.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Wolfpack said:
    WeberWho said:
    Wolfpack said:

@Wolfpack

Most people figure this out in the first minute or two.  But some, strangely but not surprisingly, don't. 
    Well meaning children.  . . 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    DuckDogDr - got a reply from the installer today. Deck was from a company named Interplast Building Group. Information can be found here: https://www.inteplastbuild.com/products/deck.html
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • DuckDogDr
    Options
    Thanks for the link