Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doing beef ribs on the BGE

Options
Don't know why, but I've never cooked beef ribs on the Egg before. But when I saw a mention a couple of weeks ago about a sale from Creekstone Farms, I went ahead and ordered some.  Beautiful looking ribs!

Rubbed with mainly SPOG, with some Bovine Bold mixed in. Took about 6 hours at 250°F, then wrapped in butcher paper and rested in the cooler for about half an hour. Just fantastic! Melt-in-your-mouth tender and full of flavor. Looking forward to doing this again.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great cook right there.  Brisket on a stick.  Congrats. Nailed it.  
    And yes, beef ribs beat their pork cousins every time.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You did good right there!!  All there beefy rib post are gonna make me give my guy a call. Darn the luck. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    NICE COOK!

Love the smell of beef ribs doing their thang!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Actually, I had one question. Removing the membrane from the back of the ribs was a lot harder than with pork ribs. Any tricks I should know about that?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Very, very nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options
    Looks like a winner in my book! Nice cook!

Brandon - Ohio

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Actually, I had one question. Removing the membrane from the back of the ribs was a lot harder than with pork ribs. Any tricks I should know about that?
    I plan on smoking some short ribs this weekend and am curious about the same thing 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Regarding the membrane - I have not found much difference in the removal process regardless of beef or pork.  In most cases I find it easier to get the beef membrane going.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Dude!!!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Great job!  My favorite cook, I think. Re: membrane - sometimes easy, sometimes not.  My most recent was not.  Had to get it started with a knife then grabbed with paper towel - took multiple efforts.  The previous came off in one easy sheet.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I"m guessing it won't be your last time doing them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I"m guessing it won't be your last time doing them.

That's what I was going to say.  But not in Foghorn's quote box, but vanilla. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Nailed it, I’m sure it was delicious!
    LBGE
    AL
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Nice. For some reason you don't see these around here much. I did one for the first time a few months ago. I need to get another.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    gorgeous
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I picked up 3 packages of these during the sale. I never removed the membrane until these. I think it was much easier than pork. I'm looking forward to cooking these in time. 

• carrda04
    Options
    Beautiful! Creekstone is one of the two beef suppliers I use, and have had good luck with the short ribs. Hoping the pack I got from he recent sale is the same!

I removed the membrane once and for all other cooks haven't. I've honestly not noticed much of a difference. You'd get more rub and smoke on the meat if you remove it, but I haven't noticed it harms the eating experience one bit. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Cowsickles!  Nailed it!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding the membrane - I have not found much difference in the removal process regardless of beef or pork.  In most cases I find it easier to get the beef membrane going.  FWIW-
    I agree.  I find it much easier to remove than pork rib membrane as it is so tough it does not rip apart.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Gilabert
    Options
    this looks amazing, well done sir!