Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Weekend Crabfest

Options
marcdc
marcdc Posts: 126
edited September 2020 in EggHead Forum
warning, minimal BGE content ahead... although we did cook the corn on the BGE lol

a buddy of mine owns a wholesale seafood company and got us a bushel of crabs from a waterman on Maryland's eastern shore, as well as some beautiful shrimp. I picked up some corn from the farmers market, made some Old Bay French fries, and made a large vat of Orange Crushes (official summer drink of the Maryland beaches/shore). ended it with a nice fire. great people, great food, good times

hope everyone here had a great LDW

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is how you do it! Very nice.
    Stillwater, MN
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Awesomeness 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Jealous!!!  Crabs look great!  What town/river are they from?
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Dang!! That is how you do it!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Great stuff.  Love that kind of gathering.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    And nice beer by the way.
  • marcdc
    Options
    Jealous!!!  Crabs look great!  What town/river are they from?
    These ones came from the wye river. So tasty, nice and sweet, caught that morning 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man what a feast.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother that is simply fantastic all the way around. This cook more than deserves the Cesar Hernandez and Guy Gronquist salute 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @marcdc

Just curious, are you a boiler or a steamer? 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CPARKTX2
    Options
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @SGH. No one in Maryland boils!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • marcdc
    Options
    SGH said:
    @marcdc

Just curious, are you a boiler or a steamer? 
    ALWAYS steam. Never boil.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Man, that looks amazing!
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Yes! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I grew up eating these things as my folks had a small beach cottage on Dewey.  I can practically smell that table through the screen.  It's 10:45 and my mouth is watering... damn.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    I grew up eating these things as my folks had a small beach cottage on Dewey.  I can practically smell that table through the screen.  It's 10:45 and my mouth is watering... damn.
    Dewey...party town!  Starboard, Rusty Rudder, Bottle & Cork...so I've heard.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It was a top 10 party beach in the US at some point.  Probably still is.  The weekends were insane on the beach.  Everyone and his brother from the DC area would drive straight to it.  You’d walk down and by 10am not be able to see an inch of sand under all of the umbrellas.  
  • JohnEggGio
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It was a top 10 party beach in the US at some point.  Probably still is.  The weekends were insane on the beach.  Everyone and his brother from the DC area would drive straight to it.  You’d walk down and by 10am not be able to see an inch of sand under all of the umbrellas.  
    I just had a flashback to 1982 - keg buried in the sand.  Probably does continue today - it's sandwiched between gentrified Rehoboth and serene Bethany.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • marcdc
    Options
    haha, yea... so you've heard.... love the Delaware beaches. Slower Lower Delaware. we had a house rented for two weeks on the beach in Dewey this year but had to cancel due to COVID unfortunately. looking forward to getting back there and/or Rehoboth 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    grew up in the midwest and didn't have very much exposure to seafood.
    Googled how to eat crabs . . . looks like it'd be fun times
    nice cook!

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Great cook, can't beat hot crabs IMHO
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    That's summer in a nutshell in MD! Nice job!
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    marcdc said:
    haha, yea... so you've heard.... love the Delaware beaches. Slower Lower Delaware. we had a house rented for two weeks on the beach in Dewey this year but had to cancel due to COVID unfortunately. looking forward to getting back there and/or Rehoboth 
    Lol - yeah, I'm familiar.  High school senior week in OC, 1975, when we were legal drinkers at 18.  Through college my girlfriend's family had a place in Rehoboth.  Seen it all - pretty much done it all...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    grew up in the midwest and didn't have very much exposure to seafood.
    Googled how to eat crabs . . . looks like it'd be fun times
    nice cook!

It is actually an acquired skill.  The locals tend to enjoy watching newcomers make an attempt at it.  
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I’m just so glad this post wasn’t about a college weekend gone wrong...
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    You win Labor Day weekend!! Nice. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SGH
    Options
    Serious question. Why? I love both methods. Just curious as to why steam only. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    Because they know what they’re doing.
  • marcdc
    edited September 2020
    Options
    SGH said:
    the consensus in Maryland is that boiling crabs produces both a waterier and less naturally sweet meat (lump) than steaming. steaming preserves the natural sweetness and texture of the crab, while boiling is akin to buying chickens that have been injected with a brine. sure, the boiled crabs may produce more yield since they're heavier with water, but you boil out all that natural sweetness in the process and the texture isn't as flaky delicious.

everyone steams differently tho. I like to steam with some water, apple cider vinegar and some beer. if im feeling randy ill throw a whole lemon in there, cut in half.