Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maiden Voyage: 1st Brisket

Options
It's time.

Doing my first brisket.

17.5ish lbs, Prime.

I've read just enough to get me in trouble but still have a question.

I tried to find a smaller one, 11-12 lbs so that after trimming, I'd have around a 10 lb hunk. 

However, this the smallest Prime Grade they had so here we are.

I was hoping for a smaller one for 2 reasons:

1. It's just the 2 of us unless I can get CenTex to do a drive by for brisket sliders tomorrow.

2. I was hoping to NOT do an overnight cook. I'm not totally opposed to an overnighter and I have a Flameboss but I'd rather get up early and put it on at around 5 or 6 AM.

There's quite a bit of hard fat and I'm guessing I'll trim at least 2+ lbs off. That gets me to 14 lbs +/-.

Can that be done by 6-7 PM tomorrow if it goes on at, say 6:00 AM?

What if I trim off a few lbs for brisket burgers and get this closer to 10/11 lbs?

I've read that Prime cooks quicker and @Gamecockeggman just cooked a Waygu in about 6 hours it seems.

Understanding the overriding mantra that "the cow drives the cook", what can I expect for cooking time?

Temp would be in the 250/275 range. I have Pink Butcher Paper to wrap, if needed.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks and I'll document the cook regardless of outcome.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    What?!?!?  You’ve owned an Egg for what - 7 years now?  This is really your first brisket?!?!

That whole bidet thing is starting to make sense...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Look mayo boy, at least I post more than bread cooks.

Stop ruining this forum!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can do it early. I’ll help you push it through if it’s not in the right place by 2-3pm
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    @dmchicago - I just sent you a PM with brisket overload info.  Below I will offer my thoughts on questions that are not addressed in the PM.
    You will definitely be able to cook and finish it starting early AM.
    You can always let the cook temp rise to around 300*F (dome here) to punch it home if getting pressed for time,
    Once you do the wrap, the cook rate will accelerate so that's in your favor.
    Aim for the FTC finish window of 2-6 hours ahead of the desired slice and eat time.  Once inside that you are home-free.  
    You've got this.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    FWIW if you don’t want to get up and get to work in the dark you can trim and season tonight and fill your egg up to the top and light when you go to bed (preferably late). Let it run at like 200 all night and pop your brisket on, bump the temp to 260 and go back to bed. It burns a couple of dollars of lump. Done it
    many times and it saves you at least an hour of prep in the am 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Stop ruining this forum!
    I just realized you also had QUESTIONS.

Forget about CenTex - he’s still drying out from this weekend.  He’s not going to be much help here.

Don’t trim it beyond what people normally do.  Any extra - just plan on using it for brisket chili. You’ll also want to make that, FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Expect anywhere from 12-15 hrs for a cook time.  If you want to eat around 7, I’d put it on in the middle of the night.  These things turn out better when they’ve had about a four hour rest in my experience.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Stop ruining this forum!
    I just realized you also had QUESTIONS.

Forget about CenTex - he’s still drying out from this weekend.  He’s not going to be much help here.

Don’t trim it beyond what people normally do.  Any extra - just plan on using it for brisket chili. You’ll also want to make that, FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Expect anywhere from 12-15 hrs for a cook time.  If you want to eat around 7, I’d put it on in the middle of the night.  These things turn out better when they’ve had about a four hour rest in my experience.  

Uh...it still is THIS WEEKEND. I'll dry out tomorrow. Maybe. Probably not.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    do you have butcher paper? I'll meet you somewhere if you need some.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    FWIW if you don’t want to get up and get to work in the dark you can trim and season tonight and fill your egg up to the top and light when you go to bed (preferably late). Let it run at like 200 all night and pop your brisket on, bump the temp to 260 and go back to bed. It burns a couple of dollars of lump. Done it
    Great advice. You're a pretty nice guy except for when you're leaving distressed boaters to drown.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Great advice. You're a pretty nice guy except for when you're leaving distressed boaters to drown.

Well, I am all about TikTok and my insta game is super strong. Can't let something so trivial as human life get in the way of my influencer hustle. #bossbro #keytones #hustle #struggleisreal #stayhumble
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Why don’t you just put the flags back on the boat and cruise that maga paper over to him?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Why don’t you just put the flags back on the boat and cruise that maga paper over to him?
    I almost could. He would have a long walk down a steep hill but I could do my part. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Two things I’ve learn. 
    1. Trimming a brisket is not easy. 
    2. My brisket does not look like a Franklin brisket. 

Oh, one more. Don’t wait until after the second bottle of wine to start playing with knives. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I’ve done worse.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Good luck!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Looks like your thermo is in the point.  That's fine for monitoring the cook but the finish-line is driven by the thick part of the flat.  Once it probes smooth you are there.  Generally in the 200-206*F range but temp is only a guide.  FWIW-
    BTW- the higher fat content of the point allows it to just ride along waiting for the flat to declare victory.  With the great majority of brisket cooks, victory is usually declared too soon.  Patience is the watchword when coming down the stretch run.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Standing by
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would wrap it Pretty soon and get it pushed through the stall. That will leave you some time for a rest after it’s ready. You have 7 hours to go if you don’t. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Lookin' good! This is good motivation for me to do another now that prices have come back down a bit.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As above, you can wrap, BP would be my choice and dial it up closer to 300*F as now you are within the FTC window .  The trick is to finish and give it a two hour (minimum) rest if you can.  Whatever you do, don't declare victory early.  
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Good luck man hope the cow cooperates for you. One question I had for you, since you have a flame boss, why are you against doing an overnight cook? To me, easiest way to guarantee it’s going to be done in time is to throw it on at 10 or 11 the night before. Worst case scenario is it takes 12 hours and you have to figure out how to hold until dinner. It’s likely a 13 or 14 hour cook and then you’re well within the FTC window. I’d rather deal with a brisket that finished early than sweat it out trying to push it at the end. Even if it’s one of those crazy briskets that ends up taking. 16-17 hours, you’ve still got enough of a window to finish and give it a good rest before dinner. 

Also, I think the trim job looks pretty good. Left the right amount of fat on. 

Watching this video really upped my trim game.  

• JRWhitee
    Options
    Good Luck Dennis, looks good so far.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,536
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Looking good, lots of good advice on timing the finish line. Can’t wait to see the result.

Apology for digressing, this brisket timing thing stresses me out every time :) I find MSM more stress free and forgiving, doesn’t matter how long or early I finish smoking since it’s done at least one day before serving, the 2-3 hr pre serve steam window is more predictable.

canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DainW said:
    Good luck man hope the cow cooperates for you. One question I had for you, since you have a flame boss, why are you against doing an overnight cook? To me, easiest way to guarantee it’s going to be done in time is to throw it on at 10 or 11 the night before. Worst case scenario is it takes 12 hours and you have to figure out how to hold until dinner. It’s likely a 13 or 14 hour cook and then you’re well within the FTC window. I’d rather deal with a brisket that finished early than sweat it out trying to push it at the end. Even if it’s one of those crazy briskets that ends up taking. 16-17 hours, you’ve still got enough of a window to finish and give it a good rest before dinner. 

He told me his egg got up to 350 with the flame boss overnight. 
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    DainW said:

He told me his egg got up to 350 with the flame boss overnight. 
    I found I have to keep the top vent almost closed with the Flameboss, I had that problem when I first got it. I keep my Smokeware vent open about a finger nail and will hold 225-250 now. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    Options
    No pressure to bring it home. B)   He!! this has got to be more stress than designing and delivering on a bathroom suite  =)
    Looking great with the BP paper tease shot.