Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curry Recipes Please

Pop's birthday tomorrow. He's a curry fan but he doesn't have it very often as mom isn't a fan of the smell in the house. 

So I'm hoping to put something together last minute. Any ideas or recipes you guys/gals like?

Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2020
    I’ve had good results with anything I’ve cooked from her site 

https://highheelgourmet.com/?s=Curry+

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    PM your email addy to me. I'll send you my Ma's chicken curry recipe. It usually goes over pretty well with folks I've shared it with.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    I’ve had good results with anything I’ve cooked from her site 

https://highheelgourmet.com/?s=Curry+

I'll add that @Mattman3969 is no slacker. I doubt you could go wrong with any one of his recs. Rasamalaysia,  in particular, is a great resource. 

Although I'm not a fan of the Saveur website, their Indonesian chix curry is in regular rotation here. Cooked it for an eggfest too, and folks seemed to dig it.
    https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Indonesian-Chicken-Curry/

These are all different variations of "curry", so it depends on what you're looking for. Every one of them is sure to please :)

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    caliking said:
    PM your email addy to me. I'll send you my Ma's chicken curry recipe. It usually goes over pretty well with folks I've shared it with.
    +1 please, you have my addy  :)
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    edited August 2020
    maine shrimp  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking  Experience

100_1715jpg

no expert on curries but this was simple and good. i plant thai basil every year now and have done this several times with lobster or shrimp

can of cocanut milk,1 tbls sugar, 2 tbls red curry paste, some lime juice, about a quarter cup fresh cilantro (basil would have been better) and i put a tabls of fish sauce in (probably could have ommited this as the shrimp tails brought up the seafood taste). pineapple and shrimp. cook the milk down a little, add everything but shrimp, bring to a soft boil until pineapple is good, add shrimp and take off the heat. next time more curry and a little more sugar.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2020
    Thanks Ashish,  I'm ready to give it a shot...

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2020
    Smells great, good eat coming up  :)

Edit: Garnished with coriander and served with basmati rice. Love it. Great idea with the vinegar which helps to extract the good stuff from the bones. Thanks again @caliking.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @WeberWho, I highly recommend it, I happen to have all the Indian spices called for though.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    @WeberWho, I highly recommend it, I happen to have all the Indian spices called for though.
    @Canugghead I'm looking forward to trying it out. On my to do list. Especially after seeing your pics! I unfortunately didn't have a few of the spices and I didn't have the time to go and track them down this evening. I went with a curry shrimp dish. It was average at best.

I can't wait to try the recipe Cali listed above!

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @WeberWho - sorry bout the shrimp. Which one did you cook?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Looks fantastic, @Canugghead !! As you know, it'll taste even better tomorrow, after the flavors get friendly overnight. 

The texture/consistency of the sauce turned out a certain way whenever Ma made it. I nail it a few times in a year, despite cooking this almost weekly :)

• WeberWho
    edited August 2020
    @WeberWho - sorry bout the shrimp. Which one did you cook?

@Mattman3969
    No, no, no, sorry!!! It wasn't any of the recipes listed above. Sorry about the confusion. I completely forgot I bookmarked a curry recipe I found a few years back once I realized I wasn't going to have the time to track down spices this afternoon. 

I would throw down any of the food you post here on the forum. Always looks and sounds awesome!

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2020
    @caliking For beef or pork butt curry we usually finish in oven. Since chicken cooks fast we did it on stovetop entirely. For double the recipe (10 leg quarters) we added just half cup water, I was reminded chicken releases liquid when rendered. I know it'll taste better tomorrow but can't wait, the gravy will thicken up too. btw, we reduced cumin and cayenne by half and it was perfect for us.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    @caliking For beef or pork butt curry we usually finish in oven. Since chicken cooks fast we did it on stovetop entirely. For double the recipe (10 leg quarters) we added just half cup water, I was reminded chicken releases liquid when rendered. I know it'll taste better tomorrow but can't wait, the gravy will thicken up too. btw, we reduced cumin and cayenne by half and it was perfect for us.
    The chix here releases way more fluid during cooking than the chix in India did. Likely because of being injected with sodium phosphate or whatever solution. Which is also why my chicken curry never quite turns out like my mom's :)

If I'm feeling up to it, I'll sear the chix in batches, after removing the onions, garlic, and ginger from the pot. But I usually skip this step, because it just takes longer to do. 

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    What type of curry dish are you planning, seafood, lamb, vegetarian?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    A Thai panang curry is a solid option too- a touch of sweetness makes it a solid choice for a variety of palettes. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Which curry did you end up cooking?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    mmmmm. Curry is good. 🤤
  • WeberWho
    edited December 2021

I didn't have enough time to go with a real curry dish. I ended up doing a shrimp curry dish with the ingredients I had on hand or was able to get in that short amount of time. It wasn't anything memorable. I honestly forgot about it until rereading the post. Thanks for the bump. I have to try out a few of these dishes above. 

Minnesota
  • Thanks @caliking sounds like dinner Friday 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    WeberWho said:

I didn't have enough time to go with a real curry dish. I ended up doing a shrimp curry dish with the ingredients I had on hand or was able to get in that short amount of time. It wasn't anything memorable. I honestly forgot about it until rereading the post. Thanks for the bump. I have to try out a few of these dishes above. 
    I am book marking this thread.  I love curry, but haven't moved much beyond Penzey curry powder and chicken 🤣
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Wow! I forgot how great this thread ended up being. I need to try some of the other recipes posted here. They all sound delicious. 

@Ozzie_Isaac - Curry powder is like "bbq rub"... it can be many things, many different flavors.  I'm yet to find a curry powder that stands by itself in a dish. Typically, best used as a garnish (like garam masala) to add some extra flavors to a dish. 

• Can I sub cardamom spice? @caliking how much if so?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That’s a lot of ground cardamom.
  • Legume said:
    That’s a lot of ground cardamom.
     Yeah… there is a little Mennonite grocery store about halfway to town and that’s what they had… alternatively I could go into town and get a McCormick 2oz for 6.49 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.