Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs in White Sauce

GMAC1
GMAC1 Posts: 20
Thought I should post tonight’s cook. Chicken thighs slathered in Alabama white sauce (or what the internet says it is). 

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    did you make your own?
    If so, recipe plz
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GMAC1
    loco_engr said:
    did you make your own?
    If so, recipe plz
    1 cup mayo
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tbsp brown grainy mustard
    1 tbsp horseradish 
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp paprika 
    No idea how close it is to the real thing. Never been to Alabama but it was very good. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2020
    I had some (white sauce) earlier in the month as we were crew’s in  thru Alabamma on way to the Gulf. Found much joy with it (want kill ya)......Actually that looks awesome right there. Enjoy the treat.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Looks great!  Did you smoke the thighs, grill, or both?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    I was in AL dropping my kid off at school and trying this was on my list.  Alas I was outvoted on every meal choice and missed out.  Love it Hate it I wanted to try it.

Thanks for the recipe to try.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    looks good from here!
    LBGE
    AL
  • GMAC1
    Looks great!  Did you smoke the thighs, grill, or both?
    BGE direct at 300 until done. Turned once. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    looks great, i have been making my own for a while even since we have moved and its always a crowd favorite.  i have never tried white sauce as i dont do mayo personally but i have made gallons of the stuff.  i like the mustard addition i may have to try that, thanks for sharing.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Is the horseradish grated? Prepared? Creamy? Looking to get the right balance. I am thinking doing chicken leg quarters and going rub/sweet bbq glaze on grill and then a drizzle of the Alabama White over the top.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GMAC1
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Is the horseradish grated? Prepared? Creamy? Looking to get the right balance. I am thinking doing chicken leg quarters and going rub/sweet bbq glaze on grill and then a drizzle of the Alabama White over the top.
    It was creamed horseradish out of a jar. 
  • Love some white sauce, I'll have to try this recipe and see how it stacks up. Oddly enough I've had some pretty good white sauce from a place in Destin called Boshamps; although my opinion may have been skewed by the 3-4 drinks I had prior.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Looks good, Big Bob Gibson would no doubt approve. Was going to do some Indonesian thighs tomorrow, might just try your white sauce recipe as it doesn’t use tarragon, never liked the tarragon. 
    Thanks for sharing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kent8621 said:
    looks great, i have been making my own for a while even since we have moved and its always a crowd favorite.  i have never tried white sauce as i dont do mayo personally but i have made gallons of the stuff.  i like the mustard addition i may have to try that, thanks for sharing.
    I am not a big mayo fan either, but it is just the base of the sauce. Try it you will like it!!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2020
    The real deal is apparently supposed to be quite watery.
    2:03-5:44 here (Gibson's)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAL6KF3UoU&t=348s

Recipe as given to Paula Deen (by Chris Lilly)...
    1 cup mayo 
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice 
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 
    1/2 cup water  
    1 Tbsp. sugar 
    1 Tbsp. salt 
    1 1/2 tsp. black pepper 
    1 tsp. prepared horseradish 
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Pretty good stuff.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Don't know how I missed this earlier but those thighs look great.  I will give your recipe a go as it looks quite tasty.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.