Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Dungeness Crab

Picked these guys up on a Costco run. Smoked at 235 for 20min then basted with Butter. Flip after the 30 min mark, baste and smoke for 10min. 
Such a good flavor.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’m really jealous. Enjoy!
  • Wow that looks great. Wish I has access to great seafood. Not so much in Oklahoma. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Next Level.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I've never smoked crab! How did it come out?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Love crab; like @abtaylor260 don't see much in utard.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Never had dungeness - definitely curious.  Can’t help wondering about the effectiveness of basting a hard exterior shell.  No offense intended.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Never had dungeness - definitely curious.  Can’t help wondering about the effectiveness of basting a hard exterior shell.  No offense intended.

Personally, i would crack the top off to baste them. 
    NOLA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    You basted the shell?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    wd have done smoked king crab and oysters, no basting just cracked and devined butter. Killer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I've never smoked crab! How did it come out?
    It was delicious! I was iffy about not really knowing when to pull you can’t exactly probe a crab(or can you?), we went off a random YouTube clip for guidance. But after 40 min total cook time they were perfect. 
  • You basted the shell?
    Pretty much. It felt strange but the seasoning cross contamination(if that’s a thing) while cracking and eating somewhat works. Similar to putting straight dry seasoning to the outside. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    @BHam_Egg .     Dungeness crab, like king crab if it's orange it's already been cooked so you're really just heating it up. I  like to steam them that way you can't burn them.  Just works for me. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    BHam_Egg said:
    You basted the shell?
    Pretty much. It felt strange but the seasoning cross contamination(if that’s a thing) while cracking and eating somewhat works. Similar to putting straight dry seasoning to the outside. 
    Did it penetrate the shell, or did it get in only when you cracked it? I'm wondering if it's not better to make quick incisions just before they are done to pour the seasoning/butter mix in?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Crazy opinion here, but dungeness is best served cold.
  • Calbbqer
    Calbbqer Posts: 69
    It won’t penetrate the shell. Seasoning the shell allows you to take on whatever flavor you choose because you won’t need the cracker for the legs - probably only for the two big claws.If you cut it open it may dry out if you cook it for too long. 

Here are some old photos: 

Fresh crabs

Cooked crabs from Costco 

Steamed and wok tossed in a chili garlic sauce

Steamed with lemon butter dipping sauce

favorite part of the crab

Crab and salted duck egg fried rice

• BHam_Egg said:
    You basted the shell?
    Did it penetrate the shell, or did it get in only when you cracked it? I'm wondering if it's not better to make quick incisions just before they are done to pour the seasoning/butter mix in?
    No it didn’t. That’s a good idea.