Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick, cheap brisket on now

Bought this to cook July 4th.
Been unintentionally wet aging in fridge. Smelled just a little sour but I guess that’s normal for wet aging.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Everything looks good.  I've never tried wet aging, but sour smelling meat scares me.  I'm guessing you know what you are doing.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Best to you on that experiment. If Lora smells it i really can’t see her getting into it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Mickey said:
    Best to you on that experiment. If Lora smells it i really can’t see her getting into it?
    No truer words have been spoken.
    She was a little freaked out by the home dry aged primal strip. But after she saw it trimmed up all was good.
    I patted this brisket down with paper towels and then trimmed it up. The sour smell was mild and meat surface texture was good. No slime. I feel good about it. I guess will know for sure in next couple days.
    Hope you guys are doing well. Talk soon!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Looks Killer , most of my best cooks are ones with the lowest expectations 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Looking good, almost ready to pull and wrap for a rest. Front of flat is probing soft at 200 but Center is still at 185 and a little tough.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Patience is the watchword...hang in there.  Sweet looking bark right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    lousubcap said:
    Patience is the watchword...hang in there.  Sweet looking bark right there.  
    Thanks buddy. This one really puffed up in the middle.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Happy belated July 4 😀
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Happy belated July 4 😀
    Ha Ha...Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Came out OK. Had some juice, tender, nice bark with great seasoning flavor and Post Oak wood. Very happy for select grade.
    Thanks for following 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    looking good Darian!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Way to stay the course.  Great lookin edibles right there. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    We are our harshest critics.  That said, you nailed it.  I would take that every time.  Time to inhale more and enjoy the meat coma.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • brisket poboy would be good right about now.  

1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• Photo Egg
    lousubcap said:
    We are our harshest critics.  That said, you nailed it.  I would take that every time.  Time to inhale more and enjoy the meat coma.  
    Seems like the fat on lower grade briskets don’t render away as easily as a better cut. Fat is also very bland tasting. Meat quality was still pretty good.Lighting was poor in my cut photos so it’s hard to see true colors.
    But it’s just nice smelling a brisket cooking all night, so it was a well spent 30 bucks.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas