Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast way to light up

Options
MasterC
MasterC Posts: 1,373
I bought this to use at the campground  to light my eggs. Love it, quick easy and let's face it down right fun; Grilltorch from JJ George. No more starter cubes and no need for electricity for the eggniter which I use at home. It took less than a minute to get my fire lit. Great addition to my tools.
Fort Wayne Indiana 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    I have the same.  It works like a champ.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    OK - but when I want to get rip roaring fast I just use 91% rubbing alcohol. Easy to carry, easy to light and cheap!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MasterC
    Options
    RRP said:
    OK - but when I want to get rip roaring fast I just use 91% rubbing alcohol. Easy to carry, easy to light and cheap!
    When I want to get rip roaring it usually isn't "rubbing" alcohol. 🥃😉
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    RRP said:
    91% is for amateur  ;)

canuckland
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    My weed burner just died so I’m in the market for one like this. Where did you find it or what is it called?
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    91% is for amateur  ;)

LOL - I bet you stand WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY back when you light that! Even the 91% about explodes which obviously is a bit of a drawback to some people, I suppose!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @RRP matter of fact, I don't use alcohol to light. For me it's gas torch + hair dryer.
    canuckland
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I had the privilege of cooking beside the fine folks of JJGeorge at the Ga Mountain Eggfest last year. I bought one of the torches then and haven’t used anything since to light my xl.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I bought this to use at the campground  to light my eggs. Love it, quick easy and let's face it down right fun; Grilltorch from JJ George. No more starter cubes and no need for electricity for the eggniter which I use at home. It took less than a minute to get my fire lit. Great addition to my tools.
    I'm going to go this route when the ol electric coil kicks it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    NO offense meant to ANYONE using this torch or similar torches! BUT my concern has always been unless you have a timer tied to your body then if adult beverages or other distractions might happen then you just might have much more than a rip roaring fire in your BGE, BUT ALSO in your surroundings! Sorry if I sound like the old 76 year old worry wart I have become!

Goodnight eggers!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

Options
    Carry on.
    Options
    RRP said:
    ...BUT my concern has always been unless you have a timer tied to your body then if adult beverages or other distractions might happen then you just might have much more than a rip roaring fire in your BGE, BUT ALSO in your surroundings! Sorry if I sound like the old 76 year old worry wart I have become!
    That was never a concern, because it never occurred to me to set the thing on the side table and walk away, until I saw the photos in the post just before yours; d'Oh!  (mine's attached to a taller cylinder, and may not work anyway)

My torch was bricked after only a few uses, and someone said it probably got spider web buildup inside (as is common to Weber grills, etc).  This morning this thread got me to wondering, and I double-checked my JJ; there IS one portion of the tube that's attached with two very small Phillips screws, the rest of the thing is welded together and can't be cleaned (it can't be baked in an oven to burn off the spiderwebs either, due to 3 plastic parts).  
    Tomorrow I'll remove that tube, and see if I can de-web my unit and get it working again.  Thanks to the OP for the reminder!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

This is fast
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Options
    chzplz said:
    Oh, didn’t know you’re in GWN too. I don’t own one, Dickson BBQ sells it but it appears they’re oos.
    canuckland
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    Been using the same one of these for years. Its so old it was sold under a different brand name until Bernzomatic bought it.The plus side is that you can solder with it too, for those that have enough sack to solder...
    I never walk away from it unattended.

• MasterC
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:
    ...BUT my concern has always been unless you have a timer tied to your body then if adult beverages or other distractions might happen then you just might have much more than a rip roaring fire in your BGE, BUT ALSO in your surroundings! Sorry if I sound like the old 76 year old worry wart I have become!
    That was never a concern, because it never occurred to me to set the thing on the side table and walk away, until I saw the photos in the post just before yours; d'Oh!  (mine's attached to a taller cylinder, and may not work anyway)

I set it there for a picture, like the sales add. It's not lit; d'Oh!
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Been using the same one of these for years. Its so old it was sold under a different brand name until Bernzomatic bought it.The plus side is that you can solder with it too, for those that have enough sack to solder...

I use the same one as a starter literally, the hairdryer takes over as soon as I get some sparks.
    canuckland
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I went with the smaller weed torch.  It will not stand up on its own so no concern about leaving it unattended.  Longer tube than the JJ George so you can get it down into the lump if you wish and less sparks hitting you.  Smaller more precise flame than the full blown weed torch but gets a fire going fast.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options

I use the same one as a starter literally, the hairdryer takes over as soon as I get some sparks.
    I've done this too.  The combo works really well.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 365
    Options
    The fastest lighting I've ever seen was after the balloon landed one day. We were crewing for a balloonist, and he offered to grill something for us. When we'd put the balloon away, he dumped a bag of charcoal on the ground, got the burner from the balloon and said "blasting." He ignited the burner and within seconds had every coal perfect.
    Those burners aren't weak.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2020
    Options
    For low n slo, single spot works well for me. Lit in one minute with minimum gas.

canuckland
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The surprising fate of Star Wars Jar Jar Binks has been revealed
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Botch said:
    My torch was bricked after only a few uses, and someone said it probably got spider web buildup inside (as is common to Weber grills, etc).  This morning this thread got me to wondering, and I double-checked my JJ; there IS one portion of the tube that's attached with two very small Phillips screws, the rest of the thing is welded together and can't be cleaned (it can't be baked in an oven to burn off the spiderwebs either, due to 3 plastic parts).  
    Tomorrow I'll remove that tube, and see if I can de-web my unit and get it working again.  Thanks to the OP for the reminder!  
    I sure procrastinate for a retired guy.  :blush:  
    Today I finally took those two small screws off, pulled the extension tube off the "carburetor" chamber, and sure enough a tiny bit of spider web in the chamber.  Cleaned it out with a toothpick, reassembled, and it works fine now, boo-yah!  
    'Cept now the piezo igniter doesn't spark anymore!  I am constantly replacing those damn things on various devices.  Will check the JJ George website above to see if I can buy a couple replacements.  Can light the torch with a match until then.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    My problem with using this method of starting is getting rid of the tanks afterwards, need to make a special trip to the dump so not worth it for me.

Great way to get the fire going thought.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Refill the tank from a 20lb tank and no need to dispose of it.