Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where is all the lump charcoal.

I do not want to pay $39,00 for green egg coal, nothing else here i n Niagara Peninsula, Hamilton Toronto. Loews, Home Depot, Canadian Tire . Whats happened ?
Codfish.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Preppers happened
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    All my local Ace's are out of Rockwood and I am down to 1/2 a bag!

Lumber prices are also insane.  I was told it was due to Canadian border being closed.  Who knows.  I just assume it is 2020.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Thats funny I was in costco and saw a 35lb bag of cowboy for $20 and thought I would give it a try. Its been years since I have and I figure I can atleast use it for things im going to burn off well anyways like birgers and sausages. If not i can just return it.
  • ColtsFan
    Lit said:
    Thats funny I was in costco and saw a 35lb bag of cowboy for $20 and thought I would give it a try. Its been years since I have and I figure I can atleast use it for things im going to burn off well anyways like birgers and sausages. If not i can just return it.

Share your results. I may be forced to drive up to Costco if this crap keeps up

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
     I just assume it is 2020.
    Best explanation yet!
    New Orleans LA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Codfish said:
    I do not want to pay $39,00 for green egg coal, nothing else here i n Niagara Peninsula, Hamilton Toronto. Loews, Home Depot, Canadian Tire . Whats happened ?
    Codfish.
    LOL, I saw some at Fortinos the other day ... but I think it was like $34 ... so I'd rather use the BGE Hickory/Oak ... it burns WAY better.  

BBQ Galore in Burlington has some cheaper stuff ... but again, not sure of the quality.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Lit
    ColtsFan said:
    Lit said:

Will do should get to test it tonight
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    Lit said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Lit said:

give it a few more minutes to let the smoke clear and it should be fine. not sure if all their lump is made in the same plant but the stuff up here works well enough
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Same here no Rockwood at my local Ace. I did score some FOGO and a bag of Blues hog. I'm going to hit the Home Depot and load up on Royal Oak. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited July 2020
    Costco seems to be carying Cowboy lump, They had some yesterday (Guelph).

I did get lucky a few weeks ago when they had a skid of Canadian XYLO ( I think that’s it). It went fast, asked when they would be getting more in and they said the next week ... but that was just another skid of Cowbow.   I believe most purchasers just think lump is just lump.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Lit said:

It seems to be atleast royal oak quality or maybe a little better. I got like a 3rd of a chimney going then poured that in and dumped some on top and let it burn for probably 5 minutes with the top open then closed it down to stabilize and no smoke. Pieces look decent also.
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Just went to my local Ace.  They had two bags of Rockwood left so I bought them.  The clerk checked the computer and said more was expected in the store August 7th.  The store did have about ten bags of Fogo, however.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Been buying Fogo online, just saw a couple pallets of Fogo at my Ace. I would by a gasser before I resorted to Cowboy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If in extremis (nautical definition) then below is a link to the on-line Rockwood supply option which I wholeheartedly support.  And yes the price has moved up in fine style since this pandemic started.  Support local and forum friendly business if you can.  FWIW-
    https://store.rockwoodcharcoal.com/products/3-bags-20  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @stlcharcoal -No blame attempts or otherwise.  I'm only pointing out what has happened because of these times.  I have been and will continue to be a door-to-door customer.  
    Many forget that you stepped into the breech when firecraft folded their delivery tent.  No worries here.  And yes, UPS will reap the bonus but at least that company beats the five lettered company in my book.  
    Clear your calendar this Friday evening for another Zoom session-DeLoreans always get top billing.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Man, I went to 2 Ace Hardwares this morning where I usually buy Rockwood. They were out and didn’t know when it would be in. All one had was Kamado Joe at 24.99 but I had a $5 coupon so I got it for 19.99. I’ll start on it tonight but I hope my Ace gets Rockwood back in the next few weeeks.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    lousubcap said:
    If in extremis (nautical definition) then below is a link to the on-line Rockwood supply option which I wholeheartedly support.  And yes the price has moved up in fine style since this pandemic started.  Support local and forum friendly business if you can.  FWIW-
    You can thank your buddies over at UPS for that.  I've got my kids boxing this stuff up, so I've kept that price bump at a minimum by not having to pay extra for labor during this.......but they are talking about unionizing!!!

So you're basically saying that there may be another price bump once school starts?   =)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    camofreak said:
    Man, I went to 2 Ace Hardwares this morning where I usually buy Rockwood. They were out and didn’t know when it would be in. All one had was Kamado Joe at 24.99 but I had a $5 coupon so I got it for 19.99. I’ll start on it tonight but I hope my Ace gets Rockwood back in the next few weeeks.
    Look at Ace online. I just checked my local Ace (1 mile away) and they are out. However, the next 4 nearest stores (18 miles max) all have it in stock for pickup today.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Down here in Houston my local Ace has a pile of lump.    B&B (couple varieties), BGE, Fogo (2 varieties) and Cowboy (I think it was Cowboy).   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Just saw I can do same day pickup at my Ace.  Rockwood. 

I talked to a ups driver the other day.  He said pandemic shipping is busier than the Christmas season. 

We have a pretty big UPS hub where we live and when I was in high school and college, my buddies worked there.  Great place to work... then at least.   I asked the driver how long you have to work warehouse before you get your own truck.  It used to be around 10 years. Now it's 3 months. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    camofreak said:
    Look at Ace online. I just checked my local Ace (1 mile away) and they are out. However, the next 4 nearest stores (18 miles max) all have it in stock for pickup today.
    Same here, it is spotty for rockwood, but it is around. B&B is everywhere at Ace's 15.99 for 20lbs.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I just bought 2 bags of Rockwood at my local Ace.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Order on the Ace website. I ordered a few days ago and it was delivered the next day. 

Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Acn said:
    lousubcap said:
    You can thank your buddies over at UPS for that.  I've got my kids boxing this stuff up, so I've kept that price bump at a minimum by not having to pay extra for labor during this.......but they are talking about unionizing!!!

So you're basically saying that there may be another price bump once school starts?   =)

"Remote learning" FTW.
    NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    Scored 3 bags of Blues Hog at my Ace. All he had and could get.

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    6 bags at my local Ace in sc. 2 of them are now mine! 
  • kennethk
    kennethk Posts: 31
    FWIW - I've bought a few Cowboys bags this year. Good price at Costco. Most pieces are small. Used on a 12 hour Butt cook last weekend and worked well. Friends said it was the best I've shared with them.