Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT... Telescope Pros

Options
lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,766
looking @ th moon last night with binoculars and was WoW ...spent the day with the googlez about telescopes and my head is a mess... do you want to look @ planets or galaxy’s ...or your neighbors window .. any gazers ( minus the neighbors window ) out there...if so what do you have/suggest .....I’d prefer something somewhat auto matic , no idea on pricing so no budget but I’d like 2k or under but no real idea

thanks in advance 
Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If you are new to this, before you drop any serious money, I recommend this book:
    https://smile.amazon.com/NightWatch-Practical-Guide-Viewing-Universe/dp/B008GASYMW/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=binoculars+astronomy&qid=1595839158&s=books&sr=1-19

Give it a good read. One of my favorite books.

What binoculars do you have? Binos are one of the best tools for looking at the sky. You definitely should be trying to see Comet Neowise right now.
    I would also suggest you pick up a book on using binos for skywatching. There are many good ones to choose from.

Pick up a couple issues of "Sky&Telescope" and "Astronomy" (S&T tens to be the more technical of the two) or hit their websites and look at the pretty pictures and ads.

After doing that find a local astronomy club and attend one of their star parties at which you'll have the chance to see a variety of scopes in person and look thru them and talk to folks in your area.

Are you planning on viewing mostly from your backyard? How much of your view around you is blocked by houses/trees? How is the light pollution in your hood?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Second the book HeavyG recommended. It is hard to settle on a scope with no real feel for what you're going to want from it six months from now. Good scopes can be had for $500, but again, to do what? I picked up a pair of 8x40 binocs from Oberwerk, but traditionally 7x50's were recommended. Get along with those for a while before you decide.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    We've had a month of cloudy skies at night, so Neowise has been elusive.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Thank you, ordered the book, will be home use only...i had one some years back I picked up @ a garage sale that was enjoyable...binocolars are great but not as steady

Will give that book a read , thank you all
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Once you somewhat narrow down the type scope your interested in, I recommend taking a look at cloudynights.com 
    They have a active forum community, and a classified section for used equipment.
    You can get some good deals and good advice on that site.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I looked at Neowise last week with bino's and a 10" dobsonian telescope.  The binos gave me a better view surprisingly. The comet is getting lower and fainter every evening. I could not find it last night.
    The telescope is like an egg - lots of really expensive accessories such as lenses, finding scopes, filters, laser pointers, etc.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    looking @ th moon last night with binoculars and was WoW ...spent the day with the googlez about telescopes and my head is a mess... do you want to look @ planets or galaxy’s ...or your neighbors window .. any gazers ( minus the neighbors window ) out there...if so what do you have/suggest .....I’d prefer something somewhat auto matic , no idea on pricing so no budget but I’d like 2k or under but no real idea

thanks in advance 
    In my neck of the woods there are local, amateur astronomy or stargazing groups that host monthly events open to the public (At least they did pre-COVID).  They did all event communication and advertising on Facebook.

Maybe your area has a local club similar?  I'm sure they could give you some recommendations tailored to your region and levels of light pollution. 

Good luck
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lkapigian
    Options
    A few weeks ago on a morning run I saw something I had No idea what it was...after some googling ...Space X Satellite String was amazing albeit freaked me out  at first easy to see with naked eye 

https://youtu.be/ihVuz8uM1qU

https://youtu.be/T6v47CmRA7A
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    A few weeks ago on a morning run I saw something I had No idea what it was...after some googling ...Space X Satellite String was amazing albeit freaked me out  at first easy to see with naked eye 

https://youtu.be/ihVuz8uM1qU

https://youtu.be/T6v47CmRA7A
    Those trains of SpaceX Starlink satellites are really pissing off the astronomy folks. They plan to launch as many as 40,000+ of those things.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk