Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charred Tomatillo Salsa and Avocado Salsa Verde

Options
marcdc
marcdc Posts: 126
edited July 2020 in Sides
so I made some salsa today on the egg, inspired by some posts here (thank you @The Cen-Tex Smoker)

started with some tomatillos, jalapeños, two garlic cloves (skin on), half and onion (all I had was sweet onion, would have used white if I had it). hit it with some avocado oil, salt, and pepper before placing it on the egg

threw it on the egg at 475. put the onion on first, cut side down, for about 5min before placing the rest on. cooked the garlic cloves raised since they're just little guys and the rest lower:

with a little color on it... probably cooked it for about 7-8min longer after this picture. moved the penos back down, got the tomatillos charred all over... gotta be careful with those that they don't fully pop and all the tomato juice run out

cut the stems off the jalapeños, cut the root end off the onion, took the skin off both garlic cloves and put it all on the vitamix. added two limes, salt, and a fistful of cilantro

once pulsed up to a nice consistency (not too much), took some out to leave as plain salsa, and then added two avocados, more salt, about a tablespoon of white vinegar, and more lime juice to the remaining mixture to make an avocado salsa.

so good. first time making salsa at home on the egg, definitely doing this again!

Comments