Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: KitchenAid Stand Mixer 6 Qt on sale Costco

Options
Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
You can't get a refurb for the price Costco has them on sale for. I wanted a silver but all they had left was red. For that price, I'll be OK with red. 

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That's a smoking hot deal.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I always wanted one of those but that's a lot of cabinet space.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have my MIL's old Kitchen Aid and I still use it several times a week.
    NOLA
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    That is the professional one as well. Much more robust. Good find for someone that wants more crap cluttering up their counter;)
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2020
    Options
    buzd504 said:

@buzd504

You should look into replacing the grease in it. Your mixer will thank you if it has never been replaced. Especially if it's older. Pre 1992 Kitchenaids were made by Hobart. Great mixers.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    buzd504 said:

@buzd504

You should look into replacing the grease in it. Your mixer will thank you if it has never been replaced. Especially if it's older. Pre 1992 Kitchenaids were made by Hobart. Great mixers.  

Helpful, thank you.  It's still running like a champ, but I will check it out.

NOLA
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    I'll second the recommendation to clean out the old grease and replace. Lots of videos on YouTube detailing the process. Easy to do, just a bit messy.
    My youngest and I recently degreased my mother's 1960's KitchenAid lift mixer she had retired many many many man years ago due to the noise it started making. Spent about a half hour with the disassembly, saw that the gears were in good shape but the grease had turned to crumbly sludge. Ordered the correct lube on Amazon along with a set of new gaskets (just for good measure). Worst part was the removal of the old grease. After reassembly it sounded like it was new.

I've seen people say to run the mixer at least once a week or so to keep the grease doing what it should do.

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Many many many....not many many men. Sheesh....it was my mother.
  • MGStheWolf
    Options
    I have that same mixer, use it several times a week.  Cant beat the price  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    WeberWho said:
    buzd504 said:

@buzd504

Helpful, thank you.  It's still running like a champ, but I will check it out.

@buzd505

It's hardened grease at this point. It is good that you use it regularly. If you use food safe synthetic grease you most likely won't ever need to grease it again. It doesn't break down like the grease Kitchenaid uses in their mixers. 

Like womaus mentions, it's not very hard. Just a little time consuming depending how well you want to clean out the old grease. It usually takes me a couple hours as I take my time cleaning it as hopefully it's a one time grease job. Might as well do it right. I highly recommend changing it though. I can help you out if you have any questions. I've probably greased 12+ mixers. 

Here's some pictures of a few mixers with old harden grease that I've taken apart. It doesn't do much lubricating for any of the gears. There is also a video on how to take one apart:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175126/i-gave-away-kitchenaid-mixers-for-gifts-this-year/p1
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You can't get a refurb for the price Costco has them on sale for. I wanted a silver but all they had left was red. For that price, I'll be OK with red. 
    I just clicked on the link provided above, and the silver is the only one available now. You can just return the red one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    A few years ago, someone posted about buying the old Hobart models and regreasing them. I have my MIL’s machine from the early’80s, and I took his advice. Lots of great YouTube vids. My first appliance repair and it worked like a charm. My husband and I have graduated to an espresso machine, dishwasher and washing machine. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    We bought one from Costco a couple of years ago, they were on sale then.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia