Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

STEAK: how I do it

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Wife BDAY so SRF ribeye fillets - sooo damn good.  I am no expert, but I always reference my notes below when I do steak, figured I would share.

1) Egg @ 250F w/ cast iron griddle on factory level grate 
2) Insert grid extender (directly over cast iron griddle) 
3) Season Steak w/ evoo S&P - place steak on top of grid extender (so griddle below blocks direct flame AKA indirect) place some aluminum foil on griddle to catch any drips
4) Remove steak once internal temp is between 115 -120F . . . tent
5) Remove raised grid, open egg 100% until dome temp reads around 600F 
6) Pat meat dry - sear on hot cast iron griddle for 60 - 90 secs per side, check the internal temp. FINAL PULL  I hope to be 5-8 degrees below my target temp. 
*optional - if CI little lower temp - add ghee/clarified butter and fresh herbs . . baste during sear

BASTE OR BOARD SAUCE!  herbs/butter . .  APL has many

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Looks great -- and dong free, to boot!
    Stillwater, MN
  • NDG
    damn, I should have slid in a dong or two. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I think most prefer this meat, I mean beef, well you know what I mean.
    Stillwater, MN
  • NDG
    I now see . . I have a reputation.
    Columbus, OH

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    NDG said:
     - sooo damn good.  I am no expert, but I always reference my notes below when I do steak, figured I would share.
    Not so sure about that; that's a very succinct and stunning cook!  :triumph:

But, yeah, you need a "Snake River Beef" t-shirt, for sure....  :lol:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Solid method as long as you are working with good steak.  I made the mistake of buying by label (Costco Prime) only to find out the steaks sucked.  Pay attention to the marbling.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Too lazy to follow that method, but damn if the results don't speak for themselves. Looks marvelous!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NDG
    edited July 2020
    caliking said:
    Too lazy to follow that method, but damn if the results don't speak for themselves. Looks marvelous!
    Thanks!! It’s the Easiest way to do Reverse Sear for two reasons:
    1) you don’t have to mess with plate setter, since CI skillet accomplishes this
    2) cast iron preheats in BGE as you first cook steak indirect, so when you OPEN up BGE to prep for sear, the Cast Iron is already 250+ so huge head start to reach sear temp fast
    Columbus, OH

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great documentation and results right there.  Congrats and thanks for sharing.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    caliking said:

It does look tasty, but for that amount of effort, I would go Sous Vide, followed by reverse sear in hot cast iron pan.  Perfectly pink from edge to edge.   Also, I have trouble keeping mine below 275.
    Raleigh, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    That method makes a lot of sense to me.  Love the reverse sear on ribeyes.  

My approach recently is to roast them on my Large BGE.  Then I just move them to the grate of my MiniMax, and hit them with the flamethrower.  I don't get the basting that way, but I can dial in the sear. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike