Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15lbs brisket cooked in 11 hours

Options
I smoked a full packer over the weekend that was just over 15lbs before cook. My bge temp was very stable at 250 but my brisket cooked a lot faster then expected . Does the bge just cook a little faster because it's not a traditional offset ? 

I assumed 1 hour per lbs and also used a water pan. 

Ultimately I probe tested it and pulled it out at and let it rest in the cooler for about 5 hours. No complaints from the family and everyone went back for seconds... so no complaints 

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That freaking cow....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yeah, I've had a 13 pounder come across the finish line in about 7 hours at 240 degrees the whole time... it happens.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Foghorn: Wow. That’s quick for such a modest temp. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Been there, experienced that and the 1 hr/lb around 260-280*F on the dome is just a ball-park number.  My sole objective with any brisket cook is to finish inside the FTC window for the target slice on demand eat time.  I use 2-6 hours for the width of that window so even I can hit it.  
    By example- say a 12 lb (post trim) packer and the target eat time is 1 PM.  I will toss it on at around 11 PM.  If it behaves (not likely) it should finish around 11 AM.  In many cases it will run a bit faster or you can dial up the temp in the AM if needed to get inside the window.  Back on the horse and know the next cook will behave a whole lot differently.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That’s quick to be sure. Did you trim it down from the 15lbs? A that could have something to Do with it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Physics in my backyard are different! Started out as 8.5 lbs, prob 1-1 1/2 trimmed off. Went 12 hours at 225.

Your cow was hauling ass!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    @SunnyBlack Excellent cook!  @lousubcap dropping some brisket knowledge on y’all.  Great advice.