Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foil towel cooler. Can you use a warming drawer instead?

Options
Just learning how to smoke and have so many questions!  Any opinions on using a warming drawer instead of a cooler?

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’ll offer an answer just to help out. The point of foil/towel/cooler is just to maintain the temp of the brisket above 140 degrees and have a very slow extended cooling period. It’s just a tool to hold the food at a serve safe temp. So I would assume a warming oven that accomplishes the same end result would be fine. I’d think you would still want to wrap the brisket to slow evaporation and drying out. Others with actual experience will hopefully chime in soon for you. 

Good luck with your cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I use a warming drawer often but usually for shorter holds. Anything more than an hour I throw in the cooler. It works well but The downsides are the temps swing quite a bit so you have to be careful. They can also be very dry (electric heat always is) so you would want whatever you have in there to be wrapped up tightly. Mine has a vent you can open for dry heat and close for moist heat. If yours has that, always use the moist setting. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Janicehowell - Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    @SciAggie hit on the reasons for FTC and the key issue to mitigate with a warming drawer.  
    This place will readily answer any questions you have.  In most cases you will get a few different options to pursue and each one will work.  So, pick one and run with it.  Note the outcome and change it up one variable at a time for the next round if so inclined.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.