Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight brisket - fire went out

Options
Have a 12.5 full brisket that went on the egg at 8:00 pm last night at approx 240 degrees. Woke up at 4:00 am to wrap it after it hit 175 and it rose a few degrees while I went back to bed. Did close the top and bottom vents down a fair amount trying to compensate for what I assumed would be a significant spike in temperature since the flame grew when I was wrapping. Well, I apparently over did it and it put the fire out. 
I woke up at 6:30 to the temperature off the egg going down (100 degrees) and no fire. The brisket read right about 170, so I lost about 10 degrees. I’ve got the fire restarted and the brisket is currently reading 165. Will I be good or have I lost it?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    You’re good!  March onward.  It’ll probably turn out to be one of the best you’ve ever done.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    You’re good, rock on.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Been there.  Crap feeling when you wake early to check & discover the fire is out.  Sorry man.

Since you checked on it at 4am and it was still around 240, then checked again at 6:30am. . I assume your still food safe.  Tiny window to drop, so kind of surprised your meat temp dropped that much?  Anyway, I am no expert so wait for others who know more to chime in.  Good luck!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Roll on. I now use a controller for overnight cooks for that reason. I sleep a lot better too 😆
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Kick ash basket = no ash buildup to smother fire out. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    Those numbers wouldn't concern me. Onward!

LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,518
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • pwshine
    pwshine Posts: 48
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Turned out ok, not great. The flat was done more than it needed to be, and the point was probably more tender than it needed to be. It’s only my second attempt on I’m trying to be patient with myself. Just need more reps. The length of the cook and temp of the meat seemed to go much quicker than the first time, not quite sure why. So adapt and adjust next time. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Roll on. I now use a controller for overnight cooks for that reason. I sleep a lot better too 😆
    It’s been many years now I’ve read at least a couple of threads like this one every year. Yet to remember one from a controller user. I use mine very rarely, but when I do it’s invaluable insurance.