Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE hinge on my XL is hitting the deck of the table

Options
speed51133
speed51133 Posts: 691
edited July 2020 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I like the look of the egg being deep set into the deck. One thing I did not foresee is the hinge on my XL egg hitting the counter BEFORE it is opened all the way. I am wondering if a slight modification to the hinge is possible or maybe re-assembly in a different way??? Look at the table build below, I have no idea how he can open it all the way. BTW I have the new style hinge.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/116524/pics-of-my-new-xl
XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.

Comments

• speed51133
    Options

Here is my egg opened and closed. I think the egg is pretty high up already. How much higher do you people go???

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Since the link above is from 2005, his hinge is probably different.
    on my small BGE I notched the back of the table for the hinges. But it’s a different design than the XL.
    Your choices are limited. Raise your Egg or notch your table.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • speed51133
    edited July 2020
    Options
    maybe I could just use an older hinge?
    My counter is concrete, I could cut channels in it, but I'd rather not. Anyone have pics of how far down the hinge goes when fully open? I can't lift out the egg by myself....

Anyone want to sell me their old style hinge??? (XL only)
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I had to put a cinder block under the table nest on my XL to avoid it hitting the top of the table. It also gives me an air gap between the table and the side of the egg.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • speed51133
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I already have a table nest and added 1/2 in spacers under the feet to prop it up even more. It still hits....

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I have also seen table designs with the back open. This must also make getting the XL into the table much easier.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • speed51133
    edited July 2020
    Options
    i am going to try to cut and weld the hinge.....use the old style band/hinge....just live with it and add a rubber bumper. one of these will work. Can anyone post an image of an XL egg hinge fully open? edit, found this. Looks like I need significantly more clearance. I do not want the egg lifted up another inch and a half. I'll try to design a modification....

• speed51133
    Options
    I just had a good idea. I can weld or even bolt on a little stop on the horizontal arm of the hinge that prevents it from opening all the way. I only need a little bit. I am scared of the grill being opened too much and fast and cracking the concrete top.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Why not just add 2" paver stones under the egg. That would give you the clearance you need.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,669
    Options
    That is a tough one. I think I would bevel the edge of the counter until there is clearance.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    https://youtu.be/LhC7HZ8oM94

How about a replacement KJ hinge.  Or just get a KJ?
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    Options
  • speed51133
    Options
    just got back from Ace hardware. You need a minimum of 5" from the top of the bowl where the gasket is  to the bottom of the hinge when dome is fully open. Ideally a little more because the hinge does flex a bit.i really don't want the gasket a full 5" up from the counter. That just looks so stupid IMO. I will somehow get it all to work.
  • speed51133
    Options
    https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/primo-oval-xl-400-spring-hinge-mechanism-177806-p/177806.htm

I bet I could bent or cut/weld this to fit the curvature of the XL egg. I can then drill/weld studs on the BGE bands. Not bad for 60 some dollars.

• QDude
    Options
    5" seems excessive.  Try putting some 2 by 4's under it and see what that does for clearance. Don't keep them under it though!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• speed51133
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It is, but I measured the demo at Ace. That's what you need. Forget it!

Just a 2.5 in row at the bottom to set and I'm done. 
  • QDude
    Options
    BTW, beautiful setup there.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Too late now, but this what I do to be able to get egg lower in table
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Have you done this for 1 of the new XL Eggs?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • QDude
    Options
    Did you figure out a fix for this issue?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    My hinge on XLBGE is 2.75 inches below the fixed part of the hinge when it's completely open. The fixed part I'm referring to is the L shaped hinge above the table surface in your second photo above.

Another reference is it is 4.5 inches below the lower ring band on the bottom half of the egg, reference is the bottom of that band.

Based on the photos, I don't think you have to raise that egg up much, maybe 1/2 inch ... so just put a thick 2x2 porcelain tile or two stacked (and siliconed together) under the nest.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my complaint with the new hinge on my large is it doesnt open high like the old style band. this makes me wonder how much higher the lid will actually open. that last flip down on the L bracket might not be really adding much to the opening
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • speed51133
    Options
    I haven't touched this yet. Just opening slowly for now. So many other projects...
  • DrScotch
    DrScotch Posts: 22
    Options
    When I was building my table, I also wanted my egg to be deep set. I didn’t understand why people never made the egg opening level with the table. Then I found this dimensional drawing, and saw the hinge. It recommends having 13.5 inches from the floor that the egg sits on to the tabletop, and it looks like that would include the 2.2 inch table nest. Good luck!

• speed51133
    Options
    why does BGE hide these documents??? you can't find them on the website.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Did you follow the dimensions you posted in you expansion thread?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • speed51133
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Interesting that the two plans call out different requirements for the same measurement. 
    I also have 15in. So I need 1.5 less... I'd rather modify the hinge. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Interesting that the two plans call out different requirements for the same measurement. 

the xl had a design change to a shorter base at one time and the band hinge was changed a few times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Have you done this for 1 of the new XL Eggs?
    Havent had to do it for the XL

• sabretooth04
    sabretooth04 Posts: 46
    edited July 2020
    Options
    So throw a 2" paver under the feet to raise it up.