Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok heat source

Options
Stir fry posts seem to go in phases it seems on here and what people are cooking on.  At one point a number had used the egg, turkey fryer base and even a wok ring welded to the top of a charcoal starter.  What's everyone using these days and what have you tried in the past and moved away from?

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Asian food but not very good at cooking it.  To me, the answer to your question is both consistency and high heat.  Therefore, I'm always going to recommend gas flames.  Other here with a whole lot more experience may care to differ. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is frying but i do the same for wok. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    Options

I plan to make a flat stainless top for it too.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I’m a big fan of woking on my L egg. I use a spider legs down and direct.. I let my dome temp stabilize at 325 to 350. Open my dome and then close my bottom vent which keeps the fire stable and not become a raging inferno. As you know a wok cook is fast!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I agree with @Hub about using gas.
    You have a bunch of options from turkey fryer/ "banjo" burners to something designed more for woks specifically.
    It's really helpful to be able to adjust the heat because not all wok cooking needs the full afterburner running. Adjusting heat output is easy with gas, not so easy with charcoal.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well...I’m with Ron on this. But I never shut the dome and I go inferno when needed/wanted. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Another CGS Spider user here. I've never had issues getting the temps that I needed
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    have wokked in the egg with a spider, but my cluny range has a wok burner and is more practicable for daily use
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fielder906
    Options
    I use a woo in the BGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m sure that wok’n on gas is more better but I’m maxed out on cooker space so I use the egg with the spider 

I light a spot in the center and never close the dome. Once I get a good hot fire on goes the wok and the fun begins.  You need a really hot fire or you are just sautéing. I like to see the flames coming up around the sides of the wok. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would like one of these... =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options

i would like the ones built in a sink

fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    have wokked in the egg with a spider, but my cluny range has a wok burner and is more practicable for daily use
    Jealous!  Every few years I try to find a rangetop that has a wok burner built-in, have never found one.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    Jealous!  Every few years I try to find a rangetop that has a wok burner built-in, have never found one.  

its a compromise in a range top, mines a 20,000 btu burner which works ok with a 14 inch wok. bluestar ranges have a 25,000 btu burner and cost less and the wok sits lower when you remove the grate. i would go with the bluestar today but the cluny i can rebuild myself down the road, its 20 years old now with zero problems
    fukahwee maine

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options

Now THAT is amazing!
  • fishlessman
    Options

Now THAT is amazing!

the takeout near me has a 4 burner sink with 36 inch woks. ive never seen one this small
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Options
    Botch said:

its a compromise in a range top, mines a 20,000 btu burner which works ok with a 14 inch wok. bluestar ranges have a 25,000 btu burner and cost less and the wok sits lower when you remove the grate. i would go with the bluestar today but the cluny i can rebuild myself down the road, its 20 years old now with zero problems
    Thanks for the info, I haven't heard of either brand (and I actually thought "cluny" was a typo for "clunky"!)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have a two part answer. 
    First, I use a wok in my mini max often. I’ll do small stir fries for me and my wife. For those small stir fries, I basically empty the MM. i get a chimney of lump raging and fully lit - and dump it into the MM. Then I’ll put the wok on and go for it. If I don’t overload the wok it works fine. 

The truth is though that the wok on the MM is less for stir fry and more as a “second burner.” I’ll saute, and simmer, and cook things that don’t require the intense heat for stir fry. I cook in the wok because it fits nicely and is efficient.
    Second part, if I’m really wanting a good stir fry - especially if it’s a bit more food - I drag out the propane burner. It will give me the sustained heat and massive btu’s I need to do a good job and get that “wok hai”

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Options
    fishlessman said:
    Bluestar ranges have a 25,000 btu burner and cost less and the wok sits lower when you remove the grate. i would go with the bluestar today...
    Danngggg this place may have just cost me more than two Large eggs!

I poked around their website, very impressive and they do make 36" "cooktops" (with no oven below) which is what I'd need.  The "Build Your Own" section wasn't working well, but there is a dealer/showroom 30 minutes south of me.  

Fish, do you have a range hood over your stove?  All I have is a 12" fan, wondering if this beast would create too much heat/spray to handle.  

• Botch
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I have a two part answer. 
    First, I use a wok in my mini max often. I’ll do small stir fries for me and my wife. For those small stir fries, I basically empty the MM. i get a chimney of lump raging and fully lit - and dump it into the MM. Then I’ll put the wok on and go for it. If I don’t overload the wok it works fine. 

@SciAggie, it looks like your wok is sitting right in the ceramic bottom bowl; doesn't that snuff out the fire?
    Or is that the reason you light the coals in a chimney?  I would think you'd get the Mother of All Flashbacks once you removed the wok from the Egg...

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Botch No, it sits on a woo from the CGS. There’s a small gap. I just light the whole chimney of lump to have 100% of the lump giving me max heat all at once. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    edited June 2020
    Options

Wasn’t it purdy when it was new?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    I stick with a turkey frier and a wok ring, I would love to find a foot actuated valve for the burner.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

Thanks for the info, I haven't heard of either brand (and I actually thought "cluny" was a typo for "clunky"!)  
    I have a Bluestar and do all my wokking on it.  The grid ring lifts out and my wok fits perfectly in the space.  I don't remember the size of the wok - it's 39 years old.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Botch
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    No, it sits on a woo from the CGS. 

Man, I'm getting all kinds of mixed up. That doesn't look anything like the "Woo" I saw posted on a recent thread, nor does it look like my own "Spider" from several years ago (although I realize these designs change over time).  
    I need to go to bed.  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2020
    Options
    rcone said:
    I stick with a turkey frier and a wok ring, I would love to find a foot actuated valve for the burner.
    Look around on talk glass.com. You can find them used for as little as 20 bucks. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    Bluestar ranges have a 25,000 btu burner and cost less and the wok sits lower when you remove the grate. i would go with the bluestar today...

I poked around their website, very impressive and they do make 36" "cooktops" (with no oven below) which is what I'd need.  The "Build Your Own" section wasn't working well, but there is a dealer/showroom 30 minutes south of me.  

Fish, do you have a range hood over your stove?  All I have is a 12" fan, wondering if this beast would create too much heat/spray to handle.  

i dont have a hood. probably get more oil mist/spray cooking with the cast iron fry pans on lower btu burners verse the quick hotter cook in the wok. i do want a hood someday when the tiny kitchen gets redone, the biggest problem is breathing after burning the hot peppers in the wok, i watch that closely now
    fukahwee maine

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Anybody using the Blackstone burner?

Options
    I use a spider on my Large.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:

And, sure enough, it did!  :lol:  :cry:   ;)

This afternoon a video popped up on my EweTube, Kenji testing three outdoor wok burners.  They ranged (har!) from 60,000 BTUs to 200,000 BTUs (dwarfing the 22,000 BTUs on my new BlueStar in the back of my truck, waiting to be installed).  Guess what?  Total BTUs is not king!  He did some IR video and some explanation as to why, and I thought it was very interesting.  Enjoy!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpoSvprBJpE