Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone dared to use this in the egg?

Options

LBGE with Woo3, plate setter, smokware chimney, CS grid, DigiQX2, Maverick ET732, FiAIR blower, Thermapen

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    No.... Have you and what are your thoughts?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • cahill523
    cahill523 Posts: 12
    Options
    Actually, I bought it to use in one of my other cookers. I am concerned because I read that they add Borax to get the briquettes to come out of the mold easier...not sure if that reacts with the ceramic structure or not
    LBGE with Woo3, plate setter, smokware chimney, CS grid, DigiQX2, Maverick ET732, FiAIR blower, Thermapen
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’ve used it in my mini.  Ran out of lump on vaca and that was all I could find.  Works good but produces a lot of ash.  I still use briquettes from time to time in the mini I think they taste better on certain foods like hamburger or hotdogs.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    There's a bunch more than just borax added! BUT - just so you know the reason that stuff “ashes over” turning gray in color is that they add clay to the ground up charcoal along with the borax (and other chemicals or so I have read). That clay is what produces all that light gray ash.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    There's a bunch more than just borax added! BUT - just so you know the reason that stuff “ashes over” turning gray in color is that they add clay to the ground up charcoal along with the borax (and other chemicals or so I have read). That clay is what produces all that light gray ash.
    Now I know why I lay gray turds at times 😊

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    ive used the royal oak briquettes in the large several times.  i put a grate under the ring for the briquettes and the cooking grate on the ring. works fine for certain cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it