Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Eoin said:
    Hoop for the boys. Alastair (right) just finished his finals and has 3 months now before he starts a year contract as a traching intern at a posh boarding school. Dom won't be back until September at the earliest, so we need suitable entertainment.

Get the tape measure out.....looks a tad under 10 feet to me.  :)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited June 2020
    MJG said:
    Wife decided it was time to expand the family. A male boxer puppy will be picked up on Sunday...to go along with our 2 dogs. 

Boxers rock!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Acn said:
    dmourati said:
    Acn said:
    FedEx and UPS came within 5 minutes of each other.

How's the tent? Been thinking of one for the fam.
    My wife and I will probably set it up when we get back from my in-laws next week, and I'll let you know more then.  I can say that we've had phenomenal luck with a Marmot 3 person tent.  We needed an upgrade since we are still planning on doing a road trip and camping expedition next month and the 3 person doesn't work nearly as well now that our daughter approaching her teens.
    I got the 6p version today. We put it up in the back yard to test. Solid tent! Thanks.
    Mountain View, CA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Schnoodle puppy - we get to pick her up on July 2nd.  Still working on a name.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    shtgunal3 said:

The trailer not the truck. Our 1st one. Picked up yesterday, heading out today for a 4 day weekend.
    Nice! Enjoy!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Off road diesel. $1.49 a gallon
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Do you have any tax on road fuel? 

I paid USD 0.86 equivalent for per US gallon of kerosene recently, the cheapest since a low point some time in the mid 90s, definitely the cheapest in real terms.

It's hard to tell with road fuel here, so much of it is tax (fixed duty, not %), so the variation is much smaller
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Eoin said:

I paid USD 0.86 equivalent for per US gallon of kerosene recently, the cheapest since a low point some time in the mid 90s, definitely the cheapest in real terms.

It's hard to tell with road fuel here, so much of it is tax (fixed duty, not %), so the variation is much smaller

Yes, tax is part of the cost.

I wish they would raise it and FIX THE DAMN ROADS.

Eoin said:

Even at current oil prices, petrol here is still about USD 4.50 per US gallon. We also pay annual tax on vehicles, which was originally supposed to be spent on roads, but isn't, just absorbed into general expenditure.
  • nolaegghead
    Every state here is different.  Our "tax" on vehicles is whenever it's purchased, at least here, and every 2 years for cars and 4 for trucks we have to pay a registration fee. 
    Do NOT buy these.

If you do by chance buy them or they hop in your cart, definitely don’t open them.

You would only be making an already bad situation much, much worse if you dipped them in queso, so don’t be tempted.  It doesn’t end well.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Eoin said:

As someone who worked for the agency responsible , there are 2 problems. One the ideal time to raise such taxes is when fuel prices are low. The problem is when fuel prices are low it is generally because the economy is in the tank. People who are uncertain about their employment are never uncertain about increased taxes at that time.  Two, the governor and legislators regardless of their party often siphon off these funds to prop up other government agencies in times of money drought like 2001, 2008, and now. The fact that the governor selects the head of the DOT in almost every state doesn’t help. The employees of the DOTs really want to fix the roads since the alternative is to be idle and subject to RIF. The funny thing is that contractors, material suppliers, and equipment dealers insist on being paid. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Legume said:
    Do NOT buy these.

If you do by chance buy them or they hop in your cart, definitely don’t open them.

You would only be making an already bad situation much, much worse if you dipped them in queso, so don’t be tempted.  It doesn’t end well.

My Mac's dictionary didn't include "elote", what is it?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Gulfcoastguy
    Botch said:
    Legume said:
    Do NOT buy these.

Spanish for corn.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I don't know anything about flashlights. My dad knows everything about flashlights. 

So I figure I better buy something that I know absolutely nothing about for Father's Day. 

I picked up a Fenix pd36r

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Bone in butts$.99 a pound.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Botch said:

Spanish for corn.
    So "maize" is... what?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• alaskanassasin
    Eoin said:

There is no road tax on “off road diesel”.
         In Ohio off-road is dyed red and “on-road” is dyed green.  If your caught with red dyed diesel in your Semi, or pickup it is a huge fine.  Where I live in Ohio it seems to be delivery only but when I lived in NC there were pumps at the gas station that had no tax off-road diesel.
          If your heat your home with diesel or (heating fuel) I think you pay sales tax but road tax does not apply.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Got a bit into the weeds there but to answer your question it is 72 cents per gallon of diesel in Ohio
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

Spanish for corn.
    So "maize" is... what?  
    Native American for corn maybe? It is possible that elote means fresh corn . I once made a dip that ground canned corn with crema and some other things and it had elote in the name.
  • alaskanassasin
    @Gulfcoastguy @Botch can we agree that it is marketing?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

Spanish for corn.
    So "maize" is... what?  
    Native American for corn maybe? It is possible that elote means fresh corn . I once made a dip that ground canned corn with crema and some other things and it had elote in the name.

All the clues are right on the bag.
    Elote is that "mexican street corn" that everybody (well, maybe not everybody - my wife is not a fan) loves:

The bag says:
    "With a Mexican Style Street Corn flavored seasoning".
    Apparently the flavoredseasoning woefully fails to capture the deliciousness of actual fresh off the cart elote.
    @legume probably spared us by avoiding describing in any detail what it actually tasted like, and we should thank him for taking one for the team.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    OP
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

Spanish for corn.
    So "maize" is... what?  

All the clues are right on the bag.
    Elote is that "mexican street corn" that everybody (well, maybe not everybody - my wife is not a fan) loves:

The bag says:
    "With a Mexican Style Street Corn flavored seasoning".
    Apparently the flavoredseasoning woefully fails to capture the deliciousness of actual fresh off the cart elote.
    @legume probably spared us by avoiding describing in any detail what it actually tasted like, and we should thank him for taking one for the team.
    No sacrifice here.  They’re pretty amazing. Touch too salty, but who isn’t these days?
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited June 2020
    OP
    Those things are the shizzle, except on hot asphalt. 95+ day. Then they are just really short jackstands.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Eoin said:

the last president FIXED THE DAMN ROADS.  didnt you get the little sign on the interstate too =) they will raise that tax someday but they still wont fix the roads until they deem it necessary to add a lane or fix a major bridge, that seems to be whats happening here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    OP
    Those are wonderful to have in a shop.  I am curious about the vehicle.  Details?

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Eoin said:

the last president FIXED THE DAMN ROADS.  didnt you get the little sign on the interstate too =) they will raise that tax someday but they still wont fix the roads until they deem it necessary to add a lane or fix a major bridge, that seems to be whats happening here
    You can get federal money to help with adding a lane or major reconstruction but it’s local money just to replace. The legislature will also find matching money for it but not for for repaving. Repaving doesn’t get a ribbon cutting with press present.