Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rEGGulator vent cap

I currently have a dual function metal top. It's worse for wear so I'm looking for a replacement. The Canadian bge shop doesn't sell them, they only have the rEGGulator vent cap (https://biggreenegg.ca/products/reggulator-vent-cap). Is this an adequate replacement for the dual function top?

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited May 2020
    That should work,  I do not have it myself, still have the original dual function one but really only use the wheel part for low and slow, otherwise it is not used.

Are you sure you cannot refurbish the old one?  Dropped mine a few times, was rusted and now have it looking pretty good after some repairs.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • BGEmang
    BGEmang Posts: 9
    might be able to refurbish. it needs a good cleaning and fixing.
  • You can likely fix up the DFMT but the rEGGulator top has gotten good reviews on here. The smokeware stainless top is nice too. I use that and really like it. Not sure you can get them there in the GWN but if so, it’s worth a look. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGEmang
    BGEmang Posts: 9
    giving my DFMT a good cleaning.
  • cpman2
    cpman2 Posts: 7

Sounds like you may have decided, but … I have both of the caps — the DFMT came original with my Egg, and I recently bought the rEGGulator as an upgrade. It works very similarly in adjusting temperatures, with the added benefits of (a) not having to reset and lose your setting each time you open the dome; and (b) not needing to swap-in the ceramic top at the end of your cooks. The only drawback I see is that the rEGGulator is a tad large to fit on the dome, and can wobble around a bit if you don’t have the extra piece of gasket around the chimney. Also, if you get the rEGGulator, get the extra rain-cap, as the rEGGulator will let in more rain than the DFMT would have otherwise.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Love my reggulators. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    cpman2 said:

...not having to reset and lose your setting each time you open the dome...

@cpman2, You don't have to lose your setting. Place the DFMT like this and the adjustment won't change no matter how many times you open the dome.
    Apologies (and thanks) to whoever's pic this is. :blush:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cpman2
    cpman2 Posts: 7
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, @Carolina Q ! I'll give that a try -- good to know. Does the outer ring part of it still wobble back around (pivot on that screw) when you open it, for ex. if the "leaves" are open and the whole "saucer" part is wide open, too? (Sorry, not sure the exact terms LOL). Will definitely check it out.

• Hilton
    Hilton Posts: 41
    It is worth the upgrade in my opinion. Build quality is much better. I never used the daisy wheel function even when I had it. Just cracked it a hair for low and slow.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I got the reggulator for the rain cap and 5 times the weather man has said rain, radar shows it around the corner so I use that cap and it never rains.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • PSC1
    PSC1 Posts: 7
    edited June 2020
    I'd love to hav a rEGGulator buy I'm not willing to forfeit a hundred bucks for that metal cap. Call me a cheap bastid.

ETA: just saw it at 50 bucks, might as well buy it.