Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking - Upper and Lower Vent Question

Options
BGE Forum,

When smoking, I have always had a slight opening in the lower vents and a slight opening in the upper vents.  A local chef and I were having a discussion.  He is known for his wings.   He said my method would actually circulating bad, slightly poisonous smoke in the egg chamber.  He said the right was to always leave the top 100% open and control the temp with the bottom vent only.  I had never heard this before.  

Is there validity behind this or did I just pick the wrong guy to ask for his insight?

Thank you 

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    Your setup sounds like mine. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    I have the smokeware cap and most of the time it is wide open. I control with the bottom vent.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • rickybobby12
    Options
    Thank you both  Much appreciated   
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    I only do that method when at 350 and above, it is difficult to keep a low temp without closing the top some. I think before I got my flameboss I had more than a slight opening on the top but with the flameboss you have to have the top nearly closed.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Does said local chef use an egg? At the temps I do things like ribs and butts on the egg my top vent is open enough to keep air flow going but certainly not open completely. The reason why you get the egg stabilized is to get a clean smoke going before putting food on.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Top vent wide open (no DFMT), always. Lower vent open as much as needed. I don't go below 300°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rickybobby12
    Options
    This is great and really helps a lot   Thank you  
  • rickybobby12
    Options
    Cornholio, You are correct   He does not use an Egg.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Lots of ways to get there, but it kinda seems like you'd notice if you were getting a slightly "poisonous" smoke tainting your food.
    Stillwater, MN
  • rickybobby12
    Options
    That's fair H2O.  I agree.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Also, technically, all smoke is poisonous.
    NOLA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I can’t keep my egg at 250 with the daisy wheel wide open.  I’ve never had any complaints on my wings, butt, or ribs.  I’m not going to pretend to know how to cook a brisket, haha. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    My XL runs about 1-2 credit card width's on the bottom vent and the daisy wheel is closed with the slots about 1/4-1/3 open, 200-250 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    No more air (other than thermal expansion) going out the top than in the bottom vent.  There are some who postulate that you do get air circulation changes with the DFMT (or equivalent) on or off but that level of detail or concern is way beyond my ability to care.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    My XL runs about 1-2 credit card width's on the bottom vent and the daisy wheel is closed with the slots about 1/4-1/3 open, 200-250 
    I have similar settings and results with my large.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    edited May 2020
    Options
    For years I used a BBQ Guru system with the fan in the lower vent to control the temp and always got great results. The daisy wheel was cracked open barely 1/8" ~ 1/4" and the fan only ran occasionally to maintain at 250*.
    We're all still on the green side of the grass.
    The Guru decided to quit though. Maybe it was poisoned!
    Now I'm re-learning the manual way to control temps.
    Several on this forum cook topless unless they want less than 300* or so.
    I think I get more moist meat with the daisy wheel closed as much as possible but that's just my opinion.
  • rickybobby12
    Options
    These are all great    Much appreciated   Thank you for the specific details  This really helps
  • rickybobby12
    Options
    Crisp Wings:  I read that you can flash fry your wings upon completion of smoking them and this will give them a crispy exterior.   Does this actually work?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Crisp Wings:  I read that you can flash fry your wings upon completion of smoking them and this will give them a crispy exterior.   Does this actually work?

I haven't done it, but it sounds reasonable.
    NOLA