Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Inverted Pizza Rig

Options
BGNMI
BGNMI Posts: 20
I though I would post an adjustment to the pizza rig. This forum has been so helpful.
First I have been debating the pizza porta/dojoe  (if it even fits on my XL) vs more crap around the patio.

The idea was to trap the heat.
-100% Closed vent. So the heat rolls over like a PP or DoJoe
-Small gap open in front. I have a rutland. Next time i will put foil over as an added precaution
-Kept about 600-650 with some 700 spikes
-Inverted stone diameter. Starting from ground. 14 inch stone, 3 x 1 inch high metal nuts to lift and create air gap, 16 inch stone, 18 inch divide and conquer place setter.
-Double decker as we cooked 10 pizzas. The bottom was hotter and acted as a true pizza oven heat was very well contained
 Cheese melted, great oven spring etc. 
-Voila.

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying something similar but putting a pizza steel on top instead of a stone, and cooking a pizza on the bottom stone (somehow raised with an air gap to prevent scorching) and hoping the steel would get hot enough to radiate downward to cook the top of the pizza. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I've been thinking about trying something similar but putting a pizza steel on top instead of a stone, and cooking a pizza on the bottom stone (somehow raised with an air gap to prevent scorching) and hoping the steel would get hot enough to radiate downward to cook the top of the pizza. 
    I tried that with an inverted wok some years back. 14" pizza stone and a 16" wok above. Abject failure. Maybe something with more thermal mass would work better, but the carbon steel wok sure didn't.

Forget the egg. Kitchen oven at 500-550°. Pizza steel, center rack. Once preheated (IR thermo), switch to broiler, give it a minute and launch pie. Pay attention, it won't take long...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BGNMI
    BGNMI Posts: 20
    Options
    i have a steel on order. btw.