Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket flat

Options
I know the flat is supposed to be harder than the full brisket, but: I saw a flat a costco, haven’t seen full briskets in a while. There are 2 of us and we eat modest portions. So for my first brisket type smoke, I chose the flat. Salted 24 hours in advance and left on rack in refrigerator. Lit grill and brought to 225 at 630am. Covered meat in thin layer of avocado mayo and amazing ribs beef rub (subbed erythritol for sugar, I’m keto). On grill at 7am. Stalled at 156 at around 11 (5400 ft elevation, red flag warning right now for extremely low humidity). Wrapped with some beef broth and back on until it reached 201, around 345pm. It just wouldn’t budge above that and the temp probe moved easily, so I pulled it and put it in a cooler/blanket combo. By 6, temp was still 178 internal, so I pulled it and let it sit on carving board until 150, then sliced. Collected the “jus” as an optional sauce. I don’t have a great reference, but my wife is an Aggie and grew up on Texas brisket. She said it was good. Not as much smoke flavor as I hoped, but certainly tender and moist.

Comments

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Atta boy, I'd eat that!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    Regardless of whether flat alone is "harder," or not, you killed it. My view is that knowing it could be a challenge going into it can help you make good decisions during the cook. Looks like you made all the right ones! In the end all that matters is whether it tastes good and you enjoyed the ride. Well done!
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    Great cook right there.  Way to bring it home.  Congrats, I would kill that.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,870
    Options
    Yep.  There wouldn't be any leftovers if I were around.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cdnewman
    cdnewman Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. It was a fun challenge and I will try it again. If social distancing ever goes away, will try a full brisket too.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    dang fine looking cook
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    avocado mayo instead of mustard?  this is an outrage!  an injustice!  this brisket has been harmed I tell you!!!

No but seriously.

"I'd eat the hell out of that"

• cdnewman
    cdnewman Posts: 88
    Options
    brentm said:
    avocado mayo instead of mustard?  this is an outrage!  an injustice!  this brisket has been harmed I tell you!!!

No but seriously.

"I'd eat the hell out of that"

If it helps at all, I did include 1 tsp each of freshly ground yellow and black mustard seeds in the rub.