Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings - 1st Cook with CGS AR

Options
Kintoro
Kintoro Posts: 9
Just received my AR & Woo Ring today and planning to cook wings tomorrow night.  In the past, I have done both direct and indirect but find the direct gets the wings more crispy.  Anyone have a recommendation with my new toys on the best setup?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Direct on the top level of the AR...350-375*

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kintoro
    Options
    Rockin!  Thanks for the help. Will post updates after the cook
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m in the 400-425 raised high in the dome indirect.   Crispy fried like texture.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I use my rig extender to get them all the way up and go around 400.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Kintoro
    Options
    Do you do anything with Baking Soda in the run @Mattman3969

I like the results from direct but find I need to watch them closer to avoid over cooking. Indirect has solved that for me but not crispy enough. Was thinking the high dome position could help indirect work better at crisping. 

Not trying to make this about direct/indirect :) more of a position question. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I do not use baking soda or baking powder.  I did these from frozen a little bit ago.  You can see the setup.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    With the radiant heat you achieve high in the dome they'll crisp up well without dusting. You can leave them naked on a sheet pan in the fridge for an hour or two beforehand to help with crispness as well. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I agree with above - high in the dome at about 375-400 (I go direct).  Dust with your favorite run prior to cook if you like. I like wings cooked to a higher internal temp than chicken breast - maybe 180-185 ish 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet