Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recovered Brisket..

Options
billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,529
Cooked a 16lb packer a few days ago from Sam's Club and took it to 195 (12 hr cook). I let it rest in foil for an hour and started slicing. I quickly found this brisket was not where it needed to be as far as temp (fat was chewy with a bit of a rubber crunch). My end game was to throw the brisket filled food saver bag into a pot of boiling water for an hour or so. I have done this in the past but also know the longer the bag stays in the water @ that temp, the more likely of a seal failure (enter watery brisket).

Insta-pot Brisket rescue.

1 cup of water with a tablespoon of beef bullion and sliced frozen brisket from the deckle.
Set the Insta-pot to "Meat" and let it ride for 35 minutes...

A Gugliotta to Corchiani  type assist...
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Curious to know why you cooked it at such a low temperature?  I do all my low and slow cooks at a minimum of 250º. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • billt01
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Curious to know why you cooked it at such a low temperature?  I do all my low and slow cooks at a minimum of 250º. 
    i cooked @250, pulled the brisket off @ 195..which I have done for the past 10 or 15 with no issue..this one was an anomaly 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    billt01 said:
    i cooked @250, pulled the brisket off @ 195..which I have done for the past 10 or 15 with no issue..this one was an anomaly 
    Generally you should try to avoid cooking brisket to a temperature.  Cook it until it's done instead.  You can start probing around that temp or a little earlier, but most people here just start checking it periodically at that point, with good reason.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Generally you should try to avoid cooking brisket to a temperature.  Cook it until it's done instead.  You can start probing around that temp or a little earlier, but most people here just start checking it periodically at that point, with good reason.  
    Let me know when you have a weekend to enter into a KCBS, GBA, or MBN event...you can cook your way and I'll cook mine..we will look @ analytics..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Let me know when you have a weekend to enter into a KCBS, GBA, or MBN event...you can cook your way and I'll cook mine..we will look @ analytics..
    You have got to be kidding.
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    no, actually..

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    edited May 2020
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    no, actually..

"You're no daisy, Johnny"
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    get a room you two.

so when you pulled it out of the instapot.  did it slice?  or did it just fall apart?
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2020
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    no, actually..

"Your no daisy, Johnny"
    It's funny but I don't remember Doc walking around carrying an Insta-pot.  I feel like that would have been a slightly different movie.  

The "your no daisy" is a nice touch there though.  Kind of perfect.  
  • billt01
    Options
    brentm said:
    get a room you two.

so when you pulled it out of the instapot.  did it slice?  or did it just fall apart?
    It did not turn into "pulled beef", it had the correct consistency. This was probably just a bad selection. Like stated before, the past 10 to 15 (and many before that) never encountered a problem.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    edited May 2020
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    no, actually..

"Your no daisy, Johnny"
    It's funny but I don't remember Doc walking around carrying an Insta-pot.  I feel like that would have been a slightly different movie.  

The "you're no daisy" is a nice touch there though.  Kind of perfect.  
    In case you didn't catch it, this is John's action to being challenged in a real event..

not a keyboard or classroom

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:

The "you're no daisy" is a nice touch there though.  Kind of perfect.  
    In case you didn't catch it, this is John's action to being challenged in a real event..

not a keyboard or classroom

Dude you are contending that brisket should be cooked to a precise temperature of 195, despite a thread that is all about how that didn't work for you the last time you tried it.  You are something else.  

All I did was to offer the insight that nearly every person on this forum already has at hand, which is that you don't cook a brisket to a precise temperature.  Every brisket is a little different, and the "cow drives the cook" as you'll often find people referencing on this forum.

I don't need to show up at a BBQ competition to make that point, but somehow I'm not surprised you're challenging me to it anyway.  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Happy Bill Hader GIF - Find  Share on GIPHY
    Options
    GA and NC are pretty close.  You guys need to hook up and work out your ideological differences out on a bloody field of smokers.
    Options
    The first feat of strength shall be walking up 2 flights of stairs and see who is winded the least!
    edited May 2020
    Options
    GA and NC are pretty close.  You guys need to hook up and work out your ideological differences out on a bloody field of smokers.
    I'll host and buy the beer.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • billt01
    Options
    I'll host.
    appreciated, but i would require a larger "unbiased" audience. John could  assemble a team, as would I and let the scores reflect the better cook from a panel of judges.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Are instant pots allowed?
  • billt01
    Options
    Legume said:
    not for this one...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I have a sweet microwave that I can offer for the Iron Chef tool chest!
    Options
    You could do this online.  A 15 hour zoom sounds great.
  • Legume
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Legume said:
    not for this one...
    Why not?  Isn’t it all about the finish line?
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited May 2020
    Options
    billt01 said:
    I'll host.
    appreciated, but i would require a larger "unbiased" audience. John could  assemble a team, as would I and let the scores reflect the better cook from a panel of judges.
      LOL
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    LMAO
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    And I thought we were talking about cooking brisket.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    billt01 said:
    Legume said:
    not for this one...
    Why not?  Isn’t it all about the finish line?
    I think it’s all about the magical temperature of 195, Tom.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    This is kinda what I envision how this will end up going down....

Best Uncle Rico GIFs  Gfycat

Options
    Legume said:
    You could do this online.  A 15 hour zoom sounds great.
    I don’t think I have enough bourbon for that.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Have people really forgotten how bbq competitions are mostly opportunities for massive breakouts of the contagion known as cardio-vascular disease?
  • Legume
    Options