Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried something new...Dutch Oven Fried Chicken

pwshine
pwshine Posts: 48
edited April 2020 in EggHead Forum
Just cause...why not. Complete success and opens up so many doors, possibilities 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    That looks great but I worry about a big pot of oil over an open flame.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks great!
    Fried oysters and boiled shrimp this week.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pwshine
    dmchicago said:

Yeah, took that into consideration. Completely under control. Couldn’t have gone better.
  • Photo Egg
    dmchicago said:

Closing the lower vent while cooking with the dome open keeps flames to a minimum.
    At least I could close the dome if fire got out of control. Seems safer outside than on my gas stovetop in my kitchen. You don’t need a big roaring fire to get a Dutch Oven up to frying temp. But bringing the temp up slowly so you don’t end up with a super hot Egg is smart. But you should never do something with fire you don’t feel safe about. And we should all have a fire extinguisher near by.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pwshine
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks great!
    Fried oysters and boiled shrimp this week.

Love it. Looks great! Fried oysters sound like a fun experiment 
  • Hmm since my eggs are both inside an enclosed screened in porch I will stick to using my convection burner for deep frying. That chicken did make my mouth water though.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited April 2020
    @pwshine that chicken looks great.  Are those just Drumsticks?  I have tons of frozen Drumsticks, but my wife does not like them on the Grill b/c the tendons gross her out.  Maybe she would like them fried?  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Photo Egg
    NDG said:
    @pwshine that chicken looks great.  Are those just Drumsticks?  I have tons of frozen Drumsticks, but my wife does not like them on the Grill b/c the tendons gross her out.  Maybe she would like them fried?  
    Make her some lollipops.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0geJGqV6qFeeUoA2x5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0bmEzZ2J2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjk5MTNfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=frenched+drum+stick+pops&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=6&vid=7cb294e7123ada66d34bba6c874bd6b0&action=view
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pwshine
    NDG said:
    @NDG yea they are/were drumsticks. Interested to toy with this going forward.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Nicely done.  It all looks fantastic. Love some fried seafood and chicken for sure.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    dmchicago said:

I agree, that certainly could have ended badly, given the difficulty in precisely regulating the oil temp.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2020
    I like your moxy but holy crap you are dancing with the devil here. Food looks awesome but jesus this is a terrible idea. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    An induction burner outside works for me
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • I've done fried oysters and shoe string potato in 4 inches of Canola on my XL BGE. It all came out awesome, but I must admit I was a bit terrified. Boiling oil scares the crap out of me, anywhere, inside or outside. I hate to stink up the house frying inside which led me to the BGE. I will definately do it again but I need to read more on keeping it safe. If a spark were to float into the pot of oil... would it combust? open to any ideas for keeping this safer. I used place setter, but I'm not sure that's safer cause you need to get your fire raging to get it all hot enough. I'm thinking maybe a smaller off-set fire in corner of my XL with flame licking the bottom of the pot might be the way to go?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    I've done fried oysters and shoe string potato in 4 inches of Canola on my XL BGE. It all came out awesome, but I must admit I was a bit terrified. Boiling oil scares the crap out of me, anywhere, inside or outside. I hate to stink up the house frying inside which led me to the BGE. I will definately do it again but I need to read more on keeping it safe. If a spark were to float into the pot of oil... would it combust? open to any ideas for keeping this safer. I used place setter, but I'm not sure that's safer cause you need to get your fire raging to get it all hot enough. I'm thinking maybe a smaller off-set fire in corner of my XL with flame licking the bottom of the pot might be the way to go?

dome open, bottom vent closed keeps the fire and sparks down. wok uses less oil and heats up faster for small things. what i dont remember was the temp, im thinking it was 600 dome before setting up for the cook but really dont remember

100_1760jpg

100_1763jpg
    orange chicken, plated in the snow =)
    100_1766jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Ya'll need some side burners. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    SonVolt said:
    Ya'll need some side burners. 

my turkey fryer burner freezes up the 20 pound pig of propane when its 10 below out ;) and i wanted orange chicken out there while fishing for perch for a fishfry =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    What did u use for breading on the chicken  ?

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That looks awesome!  I mean, that chicken is perfect. 

I have only deep fried things a couple times in my life.  It certainly does stink up the house and oil splatters tend to make a mess.  So I love the idea of doing this outside. Same reason I love doing smashburgers outside instead of on the stove.

What kind of oil do you use?

Any idea on the rough temperature on the oil when you start cooking?

LBGE/Maryland