Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip n Taters

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited April 2020 in EggHead Forum
SV at 134 for 5hr the hit with OBR Montreal Seasoning.  Seared on the small 90sec flips twice 

Served with salad & crispy taters from the air fryer 

Nice Sunday meal but I can’t figure out why the grayish color when IT after sear was 136.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Nice looking meal
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I wish I could get tri tip here more consistently. That’s a nice cook for sure. Simple enough, but packed with flavor. You excel at these sorts of cooks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    What was your marinade recipe?  Your plate presentation is excellent.....real nice job!
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Mattman3969
    Thanks guys.  

@flexfusion - no marinade just rub pre and after the swim.   

analyze adapt overcome

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    That, is a great looking meal right there!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Can never go wrong with Tritip
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited April 2020
    Nice! 

I'd like to make more tri-tip, but hard to come by in these parts. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    great looking cook!
    sure IP made an air fryer lid for their 8qt LUX  :s
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Nice looking tri-tip. One of the easier cuts of meat to find for me in So Cal so we do them often. 

Leftover tri-tip is really good in a salad, makes me feel like I’m eating a healthy lunch during the week. =) I just chop some salad (or use bagged depending on what we have), add corn, black beans, chopped carrots, maybe some grilled onions, toss in a bbq ranch concoction, then add the beef, avocado, and some crushed tortilla chips on top. Bonus if the corn is from grilled corn on the cob but canned works for me too. 
  • Mattman3969
    That salad sounds right up my alley.  Thanks for the idea

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie said:
    I wish I could get tri tip here more consistently. That’s a nice cook for sure. Simple enough, but packed with flavor. You excel at these sorts of cooks. 
    Not sure if you ever make it to Midland, but if you do, check out midlandmeatco.com  (midland meat company)  Their meat is absolutely amazing.  They have amazing tri-tips.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I need to count my blessings. Costco always has twin packs of Tri Tip here in Omaha.  I’d be bummed if it was difficult to find.  It might be my favorite cut.  Versatile, tender, great flavor.  Tough to beat!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE