Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for ideas. What would you do?

Options
Recently the arbor over my grilling area (deck) became rotten past the point of no return. The deck was not far behind it. They had both been there for over 30 years and I was lucky enough to enjoy the last 10. Despite routine maintenance, a vine growing over an arbor  will eventually contribute to it’s rotting away. 
I decided to replace it with something longer lasting, safer for grilling, and less maintenance. We installed a flagstone patio, which is now complete and we couldn’t be happier with it. During the planning phase we couldn’t decide exactly what we wanted as far as shade/ shelter is concerned and decided to move forward with the patio, see what it looks like and decide from there.  Here we are and are still having a hard time .    In the photo you can see the old header from the arbor which still needs to be removed . What would you do?   I know options are limited but maybe you can draw from your own experiences . Open to cheaper options like shade sails all the way up to new arbor or even shed roof. Thanks ahead of time . Pictures attached. 

Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Tonight I'll see if I can find my thread on my rebuild; yours already looks much nicer than what I've got but our starts are identical: wooden deck/arbor, overtaken by a large vine, collapse!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I am by no means a builder, designer or carpenter but with that setup what about a pergola? You will get rain but they seem to work well to keep an area cooler.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Two of my neighbors have Sunsetter retractable awnings and love them. They are beautiful and neither one has faded due to bright sun. One awning is at least four years old. The other one was installed about three years ago.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    I would come off that header and build a pergola out to that little retaining wall. Not 100% shelter but some nice shade
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Doesn't somebody on here have a pergola with rotating blinds on top?  Can keep out sun/rain, then open up?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
     pergola with retractable awning over the table area

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Free standing pergola not connected to the house. That's what I would be looking into.
  • etherdome
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Doesn't somebody on here have a pergola with rotating blinds on top?  Can keep out sun/rain, then open up?
    A louvered pergola is a hell
    of a concept ....
    Upstate SC
  • etherdome
    Options
    Free standing pergola not connected to the house. That's what I would be looking into.
    Any particular reason for the freestanding preference?  Thanks
    Upstate SC
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Spending almost all of my life in a hurricane zone. I tend not to like miscellaneous things attached to the house. Less chance for water intrusion, rot, etc. also. Repairs and alterations become easier as well.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I recall seeing them mentioned here a year or two ago (which was the first I had ever heard of them). Very cool product if they are really effective in rain and can stand high winds.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Options
    My build is here:  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151456/my-new-eggvironment , but you have to click on the pics separately (Just the one titled "pergola" will give you the idea).  
    Mine is free-standing, although very close to the house (that's how the contractor built it).  My main issue, and it might be yours depending on which direction your house back faces, is the evening sun; in mid-summer its too hot to be out there at all, pergola or no; and in the evenings the sun streams in and hits my west-facing house, the pergola doesn't help.  
    The only solution I like, and I don't really like it, is to plant a row of poplars to the immediate west.  
    This probably didn't help much, but a couple things to think about.  

• etherdome
    Options
    Botch said:
    My build is here:  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151456/my-new-eggvironment , but you have to click on the pics separately (Just the one titled "pergola" will give you the idea).  
    Mine is free-standing, although very close to the house (that's how the contractor built it).  My main issue, and it might be yours depending on which direction your house back faces, is the evening sun; in mid-summer its too hot to be out there at all, pergola or no; and in the evenings the sun streams in and hits my west-facing house, the pergola doesn't help.  
    The only solution I like, and I don't really like it, is to plant a row of poplars to the immediate west.  
    This probably didn't help much, but a couple things to think about.  
    Thanks so much . You really made a transformation there !!! Looks awesome. The back of our house faces north north west. Sun goes down at 10 o’clock (directionally).  Still hot but not your same situation . Any tips on maintaining the flagstone ? 
    Upstate SC
  • Botch
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Any tips on maintaining the flagstone ? 
    Wish I did.  The flagstone underneath my apple tree is gradually turning black, and I don't know how to clean it (admittedly, I haven't tried anything, lazy).  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Spending almost all of my life in a hurricane zone. I tend not to like miscellaneous things attached to the house. Less chance for water intrusion, rot, etc. also. Repairs and alterations become easier as well.
    Not to mention the wind starts working on the attached pergola which then works on the side of the house. 
    I favor the retractable Sunsetter.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    etherdome said:
    When looking at horses I’ve found many with pergolas attached to the house/roof without the proper flashing. It will rot, to @JethroBodeen point, if water finds its way into your walls
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • etherdome
    Options
    appreciate the point.  was probably super lucky to never have a problem with the previous pergola that was attached. 
    Upstate SC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is exactly what I speak of, when I tell the folks joining the cult of The Big Green Egg, the initial cost of the purchase to own a Big Green Egg, is the least expensive aspect of becoming a member of this club.

Congrats and hope you get the ideas you need.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited September 2019
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Two of my neighbors have Sunsetter retractable awnings and love them. They are beautiful and neither one has faded due to bright sun. One awning is at least four years old. The other one was installed about three years ago.
    When we bought this hovel years ago, it had two Sunsetter awnings.  We thrashed them for 3-4 years because our deck faces west and there’s nothing blocking the sun.  The Sunsetters worked fine for that, but being extended during a couple of thunderstorms kinda wrecked them.

Next year’s project is replacing the rotten deck and putting a permanent awning out there.  Nobody really uses the deck now because the sun exposure is brutal.  I’ll probably have to find another place for my potted tomatoes though.

edit:  Part of the grand plan is to move the eggs from the garage to the new deck.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Still needs a full staining after the wood dries out and other things like a TV and some furniture 😁 but here is the “final” product . Thanks for your input! 

Upstate SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I would give up on the Bulldogs and become a Gamecock if it were me. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @northGAcock Ha! Im depressed enough already with all this COVID $hit.  On a serious note, I do like the Gamecocks over all other SEC teams. Live in SC and my grandparents were Gamecocks.  I just don't likem when they play UGA.
    Upstate SC