Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fridge for Dry Aging?

For all of you who dry age at home. What type of fridge are you using?

Small 3-5 cu'?
Wine fridge?
Regular home size fridge?

Been reading threads here and see temps of 33-38* is desired for dry aging.

What temp has been ideal for you?

I'm looking at a small size to put on a counter in the garage and give it a go.

Thank you in advance. 
XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Regular size spare beer fridge here. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    I have a regular size spare fridge as well. Better temp control and will last you longer. I keep it on 37 when I dry age and what WeberWho said you can have some extra space for other stuff. 
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    edited April 2020
    Not to hijack your thread but I think it goes along with your question. Do you guys use a fridge that gets semi-every day use? For example, can opening and closing it to get beer/other foods out potentially harm the meat dry-aging?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Most of the small dorm style fridge units are only designed to cool to about 40 degrees. They also do not have an internal fan to circulate the air. This is a MUST have. Wine fridge, unless it’s a very high end unit will not work.
    I found a great buy on a high end bar fridge with great internal fan. But it’s only large enough for small primal cuts.
    Like others have said. Buy a cheap standard size fridge and load it with extra drinks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Not dry aging in mine, BUT you can overcome the higher operating temp issue @Photo Egg  pointed out with Mini Fridges by adding and InkBird controller and bypassing the thermostat in the fridge $70.00, plus this controller will do humidity as well

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Variations/dp/B07GR31TBW

I put a small USB Fan in mine for airflow , works great $20.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZBVLC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I used our fridge in the kitchen.  This practice does not make the wife happy though.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Photo Egg
    edited April 2020
    lkapigian said:
    Not dry aging in mine, BUT you can overcome the higher operating temp issue @Photo Egg  pointed out with Mini Fridges by adding and InkBird controller and bypassing the thermostat in the fridge $70.00, plus this controller will do humidity as well

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Variations/dp/B07GR31TBW

I put a small USB Fan in mine for airflow , works great $20.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZBVLC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Most of the mini, dorm style fridge units use a cooling system that physically can only get so cold. Now the units that also have a small freezer are a different unit.
    As far a controlling humidity, how can a sealed mini fridge vent humidity if humidity is to high?
    Answer is it doesn’t. You can add a dehumidifier that will not fit in a mini fridge. That’s it. The item listed above, is a controller only. It only reads the humidity. You have to add other equipment to actually adjust humidity. There was a great video link poster here a few months ago about a guy,  in England I believe, talking about all the issues involved in trying to make a cheap dry age fridge.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    edited April 2020
    The EvaDry is small, mine sits in the shelf on the door doesn't take fridge space,  the controller controls the temp and dehumidifier, no other controls with this one

USB fan

That inkbird controller can do cooling and humidity at the same time or heat and cool or humidify dehumdify ...when I was setting this up with no load I could get it in the 30s but it was cool out, I ran it into the 90s as well with a reptile heater 

Or try this before investing 

https://youtu.be/gbgAzJgcEXY
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    lkapigian said:
    The EvaDry is small, mine sits in the shelf on the door doesn't take fridge space,  the controller controls the temp and dehumidifier, no other controls with this one

USB fan

That inkbird controller can do cooling and humidity at the same time or heat and cool or humidify dehumdify ...when I was setting this up with no load I could get it in the 30s but it was cool out, I ran it into the 90s as well with a reptile heater 

Looks like a science project. But it works. Great post.
    Purchase a good mini fridge, the controller, fan and dehumidifier. Cost would run close to the same price as a ready to go small home fridge/freezer that still has lots of room for beer?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    edited April 2020
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:

USB fan

Purchase a good mini fridge, the controller, fan and dehumidifier. Cost would run close to the same price as a ready to go small home fridge/freezer that still has lots of room for beer?
    That's correct @PhotoEgg , I got a deal on buying 2 of these,  my cost per cubic foot would be less with a larger one for sure..i think I am a little over $200.00 complete setup fridge controller heater fans etc X2 as I did 2 of everything .i wanted the ability to have both fermenting and drying , I'm finding now fermenting at room temp is just fine with no chamber 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    so I am interested in doing this. I have a full size fridge in the garage that stays 80% empty. is there a good resource to read up on the process, start to finish? I have something I am cooking for in almost exactly 2 months so starting now would be ideal
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    If it were me,I would start with the Dry Age Steak Wraps as they overcome the pitfalls of low RH in the fridge, while you are doing that you can monitor the RH and see how it settles in....If not using a product like that I would still look @ the inKbird controller and humidifier/dehumidifier one or both depending on how your set up settles in
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Thanks for all the responses!!

I have a wine fridge that I'd like to use. No room in the garage for another full size fridge (I have a 20 cu' freezer already) 

My concern with the wine fridge was temp's. Got it for free, plugged it in and ill see what temp it get down too.

Dont have space in the kitchen fridge to do this.

Ill look into the controller and humidifier, Thank you for those.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Photo Egg
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:

USB fan

That's correct @PhotoEgg , I got a deal on buying 2 of these,  my cost per cubic foot would be less with a larger one for sure..i think I am a little over $200.00 complete setup fridge controller heater fans etc X2 as I did 2 of everything .i wanted the ability to have both fermenting and drying , I'm finding now fermenting at room temp is just fine with no chamber 
    That all very cool.
    If you get a short power loss does your controller hold memory or default to some standard numbers?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    edited April 2020
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:

USB fan

That all very cool.
    If you get a short power loss does your controller hold memory or default to some standard numbers?
    @photoegg it does have built in memory but I could not tell you how long it is ...I have one on the spare fridge I will unplug and check, I would imagine, but will confirm,it will hold quite along time.............since this model does so much IE it will do only humidity control, only temp control, or both ( its why the plugs are labeled work 1 work 2 ) there would be no standard default
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:

USB fan

That all very cool.
    @photoegg it does have built in memory but I could not tell you how long it is ...I have one on the spare fridge I will unplug and check, I would imagine, but will confirm,it will hold quite along time.............since this model does so much IE it will do only humidity control, only temp control, or both ( its why the plugs are labeled work 1 work 2 ) there would be no standard default
    Thanks for all the information!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    I've had great success with bags from umai.  Vac seal it in there and stick in a fridge for 60 days.  Couldn't be easier.  No worries about temp, air circulating or smells.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    I just ordered the dry steak wraps, thinking about using a Filet Mignon.  What piece of meat works and tastes the best?  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Will those dry age bags for steaks work to dry cure sausages?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Will those dry age bags for steaks work to dry cure sausages?
    I can't remember...the joys of getting old...
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• lkapigian
    edited January 2023
    Since Sausages are cased, no need , I just hang them as is ….if fresh, hang at room temp overnight, then into the fridge…

That’s parsley not green mold lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    They offer special bags for charcuterie.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark_B_Good
    lkapigian said:
    Since Sausages are cased, no need , I just hang them as is ….if fresh, hang at room temp overnight, then into the fridge…

What about the humidity control? I don't mind hanging a few sausages in my basement fridge, but I don't want to have to rig a ventilation and humidity control system. Unfortunately my house does not have a cantina.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

What about the humidity control? I don't mind hanging a few sausages in my basement fridge, but I don't want to have to rig a ventilation and humidity control system. Unfortunately my house does not have a cantina.
    With dried sausage ( smaller casing than salami ) humidity is really not an issue , they fry within a few weeks … when you get to larger diameter it is, but I don’t even use a humidifier then, there is enough moisture in the product to raise the humidity, I only have a dehumidifier 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mark_B_Good
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

With dried sausage ( smaller casing than salami ) humidity is really not an issue , they fry within a few weeks … when you get to larger diameter it is, but I don’t even use a humidifier then, there is enough moisture in the product to raise the humidity, I only have a dehumidifier 

Thanks for this ... so I went ahead and bought a biltong box ... we buy a lot of it, and I have the itch to make cured meat. You just gave me a thought ... I could also use that to hang the sausages in. I can start at room temp overnight as you say, then just move the whole box into the fridge. If I don't need humidity control, that saves me a bit of grief. How many weeks you need to cure your sausages in the fridge?  Any need to ventilate the fridge from time to time?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Thanks for this ... so I went ahead and bought a biltong box ... we buy a lot of it, and I have the itch to make cured meat. You just gave me a thought ... I could also use that to hang the sausages in. I can start at room temp overnight as you say, then just move the whole box into the fridge. If I don't need humidity control, that saves me a bit of grief. How many weeks you need to cure your sausages in the fridge?  Any need to ventilate the fridge from time to time?
    Casings under 42MM will be done in a few weeks, no need to ventilate, just open the door once a day in the beginning of the process, love to see the results 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Ok. 

I have a kegerator that holds six kegs with only three kegs in there. 

You’re saying I’m wasting space not dry aging?

I need to LEARN!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• lkapigian
    @MaskedMarvel  , if you have room, use it… qualifying this thread has vas vacillated from dry aging to dry curing, 2 different beasts at 2 different temp ranges, dry aging should be 35 f range while curing 55-60f , that being said you can dry cure at lower temps but not dry age at higher temps 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian