Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Loin Back Ribs

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
A few days ago, I picked up a pack of Boneless Loin Back Ribs at the grocery, thing that it would be interesting to cook these on my Egg.  However, I see lots of conflicting thoughts about how to cook Boneless Ribs in the forum.  Some refer to Country Ribs, which I think that these are not.  But I am a novice when it comes to meat cuts, so I am a bit confused here.  The ones that I purchased don't look overly marbled.

Some recommendations are for a log slow indirect cook at about 225 to 250.  Others seem to recommend a Reverse Sear/High heat approach.  Some recommend a marinade, others don't.  Any thoughts on the best approach?  And if recommending a marinade, what do you recommend as a marinade.    I want to have these ready to eat about 7 hours from now, so I may need to get started in a few hours.  

Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think I would treat them like I would a loin and go raised direct  about 350-375 and call them done about 145. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would use them for pork burnt ends
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    Pork burnt ends sound interesting.  I have never done that.  Any specific recommendations?

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Kjunbob said:
    Pork burnt ends sound interesting.  I have never done that.  Any specific recommendations?

Look up YouTube pork burnt ends. The one by Malcolm Reed is very popular. Some people cook the rib meat or belly meat whole and then cube them up, but prefer to cube the meat up 1.5-2” pieces right out the gate. Enjoy!
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    One concern that I have with the burnt ends is that the meat isn't marbled very much.  Will they come out dry?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    This may be a loin.  Does it look like white meat?  Pork chop meat?  If so, cook it to 145 by whatever means seems best to you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Kjunbob
    Options
    It does look somewhat like a pork chop meat.  I think that I will cook indirect at 225 to 250 and then pull at 145.  Does this make sense?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Kjunbob said:
    It does look somewhat like a pork chop meat.  I think that I will cook indirect at 225 to 250 and then pull at 145.  Does this make sense?
    Yes.  That's what I would do.  Some would pull at 135 or 140 and sear it but I've never thought the juice is worth the squeeze on that with relatively lean pork because I like the crust I get from a lower temp cook without a sear - and by the time I get to the sear I've typically had a few adult beverages and "overseared" a few going for the perfect crust, meanwhile drying out the interior.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX