Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a new toy...

Options
I’ve got a Large and all the kit that goes with it. Love it (had it for 9 years) and also love the 36” Blackstone I have. Been thinking of a pure charcoal rig to get serious about two-zone cooking. Stuck between a PK360 and a Weber Kettle. What do you think? Or do I just need an XL? Convince me! This is for my 40th bday so the boss has authorized ANYTHING.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'd consider the Weber Summit.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Ooni or Roccbox pizza oven!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Options
    Really? It definitely caught my attention but I figured it wasn’t all that different than a BGE at the end of the day.

• BBBQ
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Definitely interested in those but the best pizza in the world is right around the corner from my house in a wood-fired oven and it’s my kid’s favorite spot so kind of defeats making it at home... especially with the bother of it.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Weber 26” Kettle. More room for duel zone. And solid buy for the cooking area.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    BBBQ said:
    TN_Egger said:
    Definitely interested in those but the best pizza in the world is right around the corner from my house in a wood-fired oven and it’s my kid’s favorite spot so kind of defeats making it at home... especially with the bother of it.

You are living the dream.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Choose wisely. Milk this opportunity for what you can, since she’s given you the green light!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    My Large BGE was actually a 40th birthday gift from my wife.  It sounds kind of silly but that gift changed my life.

Since you've already got one I suggest asking for a 2020 Corvette.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My Large BGE was actually a 40th birthday gift from my wife.  It sounds kind of silly but that gift changed my life.

Since you've already got one I suggest asking for a 2020 Corvette.  
    Great story John. I have been fortunate to be a small part of this sorta life changing experience for many many people. That’s pretty much how I put it to some people. You know the ones that think they are just getting another grill to cook burgers  😂. I do what I can to encourage them to broaden their experiences. You nailed it. 
  • BBBQ
    Options
    That’s why it’s tough to figure out my need! BGE already is the best toy I’ve already owned. But when the wife says you can have another grill, well...
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    BBBQ said:
    That’s why it’s tough to figure out my need! BGE already is the best toy I’ve already owned. But when the wife says you can have another grill, well...
    Wow! Does she have any sisters!

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I like the pk way more than the Webber 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    @Lit may have something to offer on this subject 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BBBQ
    Options
    I like the pk way more than the Webber 
    PK or PK360? Both have my interest. Weber just seems kinda boring. 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    Why not double dip seeing how you are green lighted on the purchase and get:
    - A Weber Kettle and Carson Rodizio
    OR
    - Original PK and Carson Rodizio
    First option would be cheaper and possibly your pain when two boxes arive.
    I can use my Carson on either the Kettle or my Original PK.
    Another option could be one of the Hasty Bake grills.
    Good luck in your search.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'll throw my vote in for the Weber 26". In terms of versatility vs. $$ spent, its hard to beat a Weber kettle. 

Well built, great warranty, and AWESOME customer service (disclaimer= I have not had any dealings with them in several years, so I hope that's still true). 

And that size will give you some real estate to complement your BGE. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BBBQ said:
    Really? It definitely caught my attention but I figured it wasn’t all that different than a BGE at the end of the day.

It’s a badass rig. I will likely end up with one some day
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And if ANYTHING has been authorized (ill
    leave the low hanging bedroom jokes off the table) a Komodo Komado Big Bad 32 would be top of my list. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I’m surprised the Karabecue hasn’t been mentioned.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I like the Masterbuilt Gravity Series but they have issues with charcoal/wood hopper build quality, it could also be a fuel hog.
    canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have to say rethink the wood fired oven. I get there’s a great pizza place around the corner - but you can cook so much more than pizzas. I bet pizza makes up 5-10% of what I cook in the wood oven.
    They take a bit of time to heat up but it’s not a big deal. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    And if ANYTHING has been authorized (ill
    leave the low hanging bedroom jokes off the table) a Komodo Komado Big Bad 32 would be top of my list. 

If you're going to go that far you might as well go ahead and get the 42"-er. Seriously. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BBBQ
    Options
    Boss definitely didn’t authorize a Komodo Kamado but now I’ve got a life goal!!! Given where the economy is now and where it’s headed I think I will skip the Summit and for the 26” kettle and get a slow and sear XL at some point. Thanks for all the cool ideas!

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have an XL BGE and felt the itch to get something new. Steak cook offs are big in my area and the local BBQ shop carries PK Grills. I wound up getting an original PK with the TX stand. I really like having something portable that I can take to a picnic or tailgate. I also like having something smaller when I’m cooking for my wife & I.  I’ve been cooking on the PK for about 2 months & I really like it.  

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• BBBQ
    Options
    PK standard pretty interesting. Any Hasty Bake fans out there? Always seemed pretty cool and versatile and like a nice cooker. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BBBQ said:
    PK standard pretty interesting. Any Hasty Bake fans out there? Always seemed pretty cool and versatile and like a nice cooker. 
    @DMW
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    Have both the original PK and a HB Gourmet.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I love my summit but it really is a lot like the egg cooking wise. The PK 360 is over priced but really is a great grill. I had a 22” kettle as my garage grill before and the PKs setup is much nicer for 2 zone. This was a 3.5lb tri tip from Friday night. I did a chuck roast for pulled beef a week or 2 ago and the PK went 8 hours with just loading the one side and probably had another 2 plus hours when the cook was done. 
  • BBBQ
    Options
    Lit said:
    I love my summit but it really is a lot like the egg cooking wise. The PK 360 is over priced but really is a great grill. I had a 22” kettle as my garage grill before and the PKs setup is much nicer for 2 zone. This was a 3.5lb tri tip from Friday night. I did a chuck roast for pulled beef a week or 2 ago and the PK went 8 hours with just loading the one side and probably had another 2 plus hours when the cook was done. 
    Thanks—like your taste in beers too! Really just looking for another cooker I can enjoy as much as my Egg but is different and can do something new. You ever smoke on it?
  • BBBQ
    Options
    6baluts said:
    Have both the original PK and a HB Gourmet.
    And what do you think? Which do you like compared to the Egg and why?