Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time meat grinder questions

Options
Just got a meat grinder with sausage filler attachment for the kitchen-aid mixer.  Looking for some tips and recipes.  Would like to make my own sausages and burger meat as well as anything else cool anyone has tried.
-1 XL BGE
-1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
-1 Traeger Scout 
-cast iron grate and pans
-pizza stone
-XL Adjustable Rig 2 Grid Combo from Ceramic Grill Store
-A-MAZE-N smoker pellet tray
-Teken Wireless 4 Probe Thermometer

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2020
    Options
    This would be a great place to start:

I find the grinder attachment for mixers work pretty well for small batches but you might find the stuffer to be a bit finicky. It's good place to see if this is something you have interest in before going nuts on specialized equipment.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Welcome to the sausage Fray ! Edit ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Like someone said about, it's great for small batches. To justify the purchase, consider the KA attachment a "trial version" to see if you like the hobby. If you do, definitely consider purchasing a dedicated grinder (Cabela's house brand makes an excellent one).  It's one of those hobbies where if you're going to spend a few hours prepping, grinding, stuffing, cleaning (ugh!)  then it's best to knock out a large batch at once for the freezer. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    After years of use my KA grinder attachment cracked.  My main complaints are it isn't the greatest at stuffing, but it does work, and there's a bearing or something in there that squirts out some black greasy crap.  I assumed it was a food safe grease, but maybe it was lithium and helps to explain my insanity.
    Options
    I grind in KA and use Lem jerkey gun to stuff.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    with the ka kit experiment with the plates before grinding a whole butt, the smaller plates are literally useless. ebay has plates with larger holes if you feel a need
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited April 2020
    Options
    My first grinder was a harbor Freight cheaper than the KA Attachment and it was a beast , think it was $50.00
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited April 2020
    Options
    have fun.  cut everything up into small cubes.  season everything in the bowl.  fresh seasoning works great.  onion etc.  run it thru twice.  your onions and seasoning will grind blend it all together just fine.  I run mine twice.  Also note use 1/2 much heavy hitters like onion than you think.  If doing burger meat from steak, ribeye, etc make sure to add some fat content meat as well.  the real thick fat like on the edge of serloin tends to clog the blades and make for a silly string pull a thon cleanup fyi.  love mine.  oh turn the speed up and use the bigger holes die
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    oh turn the speed up and use the bigger holes die
    Interesting, I've always used the lowest speed; what speed do you usually run at?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Put all your chunked meat in the freezer for a while to firm the meat. Also put the grinder parts in the freezer, if possible. Makes a big difference....
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    yes to cold STIFF MEAT!
    Columbus, Ohio