Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning/Descaling SV Unit??

Options
Do you ever? 

I pulled mine out to use it tonight and it registered 162° right out of the drawer and went in a random up and down temp pattern and wouldn’t level out. Water was 125 out of the tap SV showed 142.  

Read about descaling the unit so I added 2cups of vinegar and ran it through 3 cycles from cool to 160 and run for 20mins or so.  It is now reading accurate with the TP.  

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I've had to do it on the Anova. Good ol central Indiana hard water. Did what you described 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Interesting , just went and grabbed mine ( SV ) and upended it up, not bad but can use a cleaning...thanks for sharing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I use vinegar also. I don't have a specific ratio, I always taste the water/vinegar solution, and if it tastes acidic,  I let the pump circulate water. I check it in 15 minutes. If it's not cleaning the scale, I add more vinegar and run it through another time cycle.
    I think it's better to clean it before there is a lot of scale buildup and to always use the minimal acid concentration to do the job.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks for the idea, did this today on one of my units and it cleaned up great!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    last month I unscrewed my Nova base for the first time in at least 2 years fearing the worst. To my surprise the heating coils were clean and clear! Guess maybe my water softner is working after all! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Doing this now. 

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Did mine today. Here are some before and after pics of the Anova stick and the hot tub.

Before:

After:

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    55Kevy said:
    Did mine today. Here are some before and after pics of the Anova stick and the hot tub.

Before:

After:

Good lord, dude. I think we found the source of where COVID-19 originated. 
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    ROFL @GrateEggspectations.  Very hard water here.  Most of the time I'm operating at around 130F.  That build up represents probably 6 or 8 months worth.  Since calcium carbonate solubility is inversely proportional to temp one higher temp cook can create that much deposit.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    55Kevy said:
    ROFL @GrateEggspectations.  Very hard water here.  Most of the time I'm operating at around 130F.  That build up represents probably 6 or 8 months worth.  Since calcium carbonate solubility is inversely proportional to temp one higher temp cook can create that much deposit.
    Just yankin’ your chain. We’ve got hard water here too. Had a contractor in who was very impressed with the film on our shower. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    55Kevy said:
    I do a bunch of 180° plus cooks on veggies. Never thought about the relation to calcium buildup.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.