Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"I’m not a fan" of the BGE

Options
I'm Meathead Goldwyn of AmazingRibs and This Is How I Eat
https://flip.it/wPgEl7

I was just going to ask how you felt about the Green Egg.

I’m not a fan. Don’t get me started. “Eggheads,” they call themselves—they’re like Krishnas. They worship this green God. And if you dare say anything about it—negative—you get death threats. It’s a fine oven, but it is not by any stretch of the imagination, a good grill. A good grill must be easily divided into two zones. Infrared radiation is vastly different than convection airflow, and you have to have both in a good grill. And it’s almost impossible to set up the Big Green Egg so that you can have two zones easily. You can do it but it’s a pain in the neck, and it’s very easy on a Weber Kettle. Plus it’s that big, thick, heavy ceramic. Once it heats up, it takes forever to cool down, and cooking is all about temperature control. I’ve done some wonderful pizzas it. I’ve baked breads on it. I’ll do smoked meats on it, but I wouldn’t grill a steak on it. 
Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I know Aaron Franklin isn't a fan either. But those are two of my three favorite sources for all things food related (the guy from Food Lab being the other)

Boom
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    For the record, I wouldn't grill a steak on it either.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I think it is almost perfect for the reverse sear aka the redneck sous vide that meathead himself preaches
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I no longer have a BGE, though I had 3 at the same time at one point, but I have a KJ classic in black. Like a cousin.

I view the BGE and it's ilk as something that is 2nd best in almost everything but not the best in anything. But at the end of the day that versatility is EXACTLY why it is so great. Many of us do not have the time, money, space, and/or desire to own half dozen different tools just to be the best in every category. 

"don't let perfection be the enemy of good"
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    grilled chicken on the weber, steak on the egg.  maybe he just cooks 1/2 inch steaks =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    You can cook a steak fine on an egg but it’s easier on a kettle. I use my PK360 which I really like for steaks. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I dried my socks on it once.
    Options
    easier to melt lead for fishing weights in an egg than a weber but truth be told one of these would be better.melting lead in an egg is like trying to boil water

httpsimages-nassl-images-amazoncomimagesI51ivoU-J6jL_SY300_jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I think it is almost perfect for the reverse sear aka the redneck sous vide that meathead himself preaches
    I have gravitated to sous vide for steaks. Just better IMHO. Not that RS sucks, have had some beautiful steaks that way. SV just suits me better.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    He's not a "fan" of BGE or ceramics but has a glowing review of KJ Classic II. Last time I checked, KJ's are ceramic.

Read the end of the review and they admit that they haven't cooked anything on KJ Classic II.

Review Method:

Looked Closely At It

We have seen this product up close and we have also gathered info from the manufacturer,  owners, and other reliable sources.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    These kind of articles drive me nuts.  If it wasn't for the weight / fragility / cool down period Kamado's would be more popular at SCA competitions.

None of these are issues in my backyard.  People that have never owned an Egg opinion doesn't matter much to me.  There is no way a kettle steak tastes better than a reverse sear on the egg.  I would know, I've done hundreds on each as I am sure many of you have. An EggSpander isn't difficult to use.  

Leave this person to go manage the grease fire on their new Smoke Fire 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    I no longer have a BGE, though I had 3 at the same time at one point, but I have a KJ classic in black. Like a cousin.

I view the BGE and it's ilk as something that is 2nd best in almost everything but not the best in anything. But at the end of the day that versatility is EXACTLY why it is so great. Many of us do not have the time, money, space, and/or desire to own half dozen different tools just to be the best in every category. 

Here's an often quoted source for a similar phrase:
    Sergey Gorshkov was an admiral of the fleet of the Soviet Union. Twice awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union, he oversaw the expansion of the Soviet Navy into a global force during the Cold War.
    Gorshkov is often associated with the phrase "'Better' is the enemy of 'Good Enough'" ("Лучшее - враг хорошего") which is reputed to have hung on the wall of his office as a motto.  FWIW and totally OT.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Meathead is a bonehead. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited March 2020
    Options
    This comment is about me alone. One of the reasons I am a much better cook is the egg. I owned 4 Webbers over the years and never was able to cook great food. Since getting my eggs it's easier and I am better at it. You guys are also a big part of that. Webber's require too much attention.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Here's an often quoted source for a similar phrase:
    Sergey Gorshkov was an admiral of the fleet of the Soviet Union. Twice awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union, he oversaw the expansion of the Soviet Navy into a global force during the Cold War.
    Gorshkov is often associated with the phrase "'Better' is the enemy of 'Good Enough'" ("Лучшее - враг хорошего") which is reputed to have hung on the wall of his office as a motto.  FWIW and totally OT.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    I have gravitated to sous vide for steaks. Just better IMHO. Not that RS sucks, have had some beautiful steaks that way. SV just suits me better.
    love my sous vide so much I have two!
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    This comment is about me alone. One of the reasons I am a much better cook is the egg. I owned 4 Webbers over the years and never was able to cook great food. Since getting my eggs it's easier and I am better at it. You guys are also a big part of that. Webber's require too much attention.
    agreed. I am in the bottom 10% on this site but I had an infrared gas grill, still own a webber, and the food off my kamado is just drastically better. it just "fits" me more 
    Boom
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Count me in the list of those who don't have the budget or the patio space for every toy. My Green Egg can do just about anything good enough with a little ingenuity. I wouldn't try to deep fry with it but I don't deep fry any way, Doctor's orders. I actually bake better with it than with the indoor hot box.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    What, in your opinion, makes it better beyond the convenience factor? I find that it lacks the flavor you get when reverse searing when grilling steak. SV versus sear to oven(or reverse sear using oven) is a wash, so it really depends on timing for me.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    I appreciate all kamados. I've only used the egg but I expect all of them to be similar enough. I used a kettle for years. It has its place but smoking is much better on the kamado. It is also much more efficient due to the ceramics. Heat retention is a benefit. I don't get why that is a negative for meathead. I've never used a stick burner and don't have time for them.  They are also too ugly for my house. 😉
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I appreciate all kamados. I've only used the egg but I expect all of them to be similar enough. I used a kettle for years. It has its place but smoking is much better on the kamado. It is also much more efficient due to the ceramics. Heat retention is a benefit. I don't get why that is a negative for meathead. I've never used a stick burner and don't have 
    time for them.  They are also too ugly for my house. 😉
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Count me in the list of those who don't have the budget or the patio space for every toy. My Green Egg can do just about anything good enough with a little ingenuity. I wouldn't try to deep fry with it but I don't deep fry any way, Doctor's orders. I actually bake better with it than with the indoor hot box.
    I have deep fried fish on the mini. Lid open, bottom vent wide open, cast iron Dutch oven with oil sitting on the grate. Works great.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    Options
    one grammatical note...Weber is spelled with (1) b.

That is all...carry on =)

P.S. I have 17 grills and one smoker (17 Webers).  they all have a purpose
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I appreciate all kamados. I've only used the egg but I expect all of them to be similar enough. I used a kettle for years. It has its place but smoking is much better on the kamado. It is also much more efficient due to the ceramics. Heat retention is a benefit. I don't get why that is a negative for meathead. I've never used a stick burner and don't have time for them.  They are also too ugly for my house. 😉
    But you live in Wisconsin!  ;)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I have deep fried fish on the mini. Lid open, bottom vent wide open, cast iron Dutch oven with oil sitting on the grate. Works great.
    I don’t know who would be leading the SWAT raid Doc Mary or the fire department.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Flagged that one for abuse! =)
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Ha! I have to get my shots in when I can being from MN!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Ha! I have to get my shots in when I can being from MN!
    Where August is considered "bad ice fishing". Got it.✌
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I cant stand "Meathead Goldwyn" or his advertisement website... But that's just me..