Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dang it, crack in base.

Guess I’ll start the warranty process now, bought in 2011.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    just curious, what size BGE?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    loco_engr said:
    Large. Just had my firebox replaced last fall but the cracked one is still in there working fine. Can’t take those chances with a cracked base though. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I cracked the base on my large when I did an unintentional clean burn. An unmanned fire got totally out of control, to the point it set the wood underneath the egg on fire.  
    The egg cracked at a point where there was a visible defect in the casting.
    My dealer was awesome. He quickly got me a new base at no charge.  
  • I just noticed a crack in my fire box, Sunday after a hot pizza cook Friday night in the cold weather.  
    Franklin, TN
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I'm on my 4th or 5th base in the XL.  It happens, thankful that there's a lifetime warranty! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • I've had one give up.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    I just replaced my base, my crack looked exactly the same.  I would have never seen it except one day while cooking I noticed a puddle under the egg I thought seemed odd- thats how I found it.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    I have a similar hairline crack in my LBGE base (purchased 1/08), starts at a corner of the vent hole, wraps around the bottom and up 6-8" on the back side.  While some may disagree, I've been cooking with that fracture for 3+ years, although my egg is on concrete pavers and in a nest that keeps the base compressed together.  Eventually I'll swap in a replacement.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Cornholio
    Not too stoked with the response from my dealer. 

“It looks like a thermal crack that happens during the firing process. I'll send it to my rep to see what they say.”

I replied that it is new and not something that has been there. After reading threads on here I’ve made it a habit to check under my egg every so often.  ;)

Not too worried about getting it handled in the end and still cooking with it (my egg lives on concrete so no deck to catch fire). 

To be continued...
  • It sounds like you need to educate your dealer on the warranty process. Tell them to get another base on order regardless 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    I had a crack in the firebox and base of a 5 year old large.  I sent my dealer pictures and they were both replaced quickly.  The new firebox cracked after a few cooks and it was also replaced quickly.  I'm hoping all stays good for several more years.
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    If the dealer does not assist on this you may want to contact the mother ship. I can honestly say the follow up from the mothership is impressive.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Cornholio said:
    loco_engr said:
    Large. Just had my firebox replaced last fall but the cracked one is still in there working fine. Can’t take those chances with a cracked base though. 
    had a crack in my fire box after 12 years
    local dealer is great for warranty issues 

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • On my 3rd base on my XL
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Had a crack in my firebox--my dealer made me exchange the cracked one for the new one. Oddly enough, the new one isn't flat so my grate, etc. has abt 1/4" of movement.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would sweep out the ash and see if it goes all the way through the inside. If so I would send another pic to the dealer. I think they should replace it either way...but if it is visible on the inside, then it is is a no brainer. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cornholio
    I would sweep out the ash and see if it goes all the way through the inside. If so I would send another pic to the dealer. I think they should replace it either way...but if it is visible on the inside, then it is is a no brainer. 
    Good point, been a bit busy with my kids starting at new schools and coronavirus social separation planning at work so haven’t followed up with my dealer yet. Gonna check the inside before I do. 

I get to work from hone for a couple of months so the egg is gonna be a lunchtime machine during my work from home time. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I have replaced the base, lid, plate setter and fire grate on my XL. The fire grate exploded sending pieces into the lid. The base cracked later.

Picture of the of the damage and pictures of the receipts, replacement was easy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    GoooDawgs said:
    I'm on my 4th or 5th base in the XL.  It happens, thankful that there's a lifetime warranty! 
    Same with my XL! There must be a design flaw with the XLs.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112

Thats what I did- pull all the ash and even wiped it out.  Once "damp" on the inside it was obvious.  Gave Dealer pics of inside and outside and a week later a new base.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.