Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New 16” Ooni

Options

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Dammit!! I've been seriously considering the Ooni Koda and now this comes out? Gotta see if I can scrounge up the 5 bills for that one. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Every time you post one of these I instantly regret spending $1,500 on my Bollore. I should have waited a few months.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Ooni wasn't kidding when they said the had a big announcement this week. :)
    I mentioned in another thread  a day or so ago that Cook's Illustrated did a test of portable outdoor pizza ovens and their top pick was the original Ooni Koda.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Every time you post one of these I instantly regret spending $1,500 on my Bollore. I should have waited a few months.
    I think you have the better oven!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Gozney is supposed to be releasing something new soon too.  Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s similar to this. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Gozney is supposed to be releasing something new soon too.  Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s similar to this. 
    Wonder what their price point might be?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Since Ooni thinks 1 inch = 40ish bucks, I’m guessing 750-800.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the "Power Pizza XL" to show up on infomercials and then become available at Sam's Club for $130, and go on sale for $99. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The little Gozney Roccbox is already $700.00.
    I bet their next larger model breaks $1000.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Could be.  Given the build quality compared to the Ooni, it might be worth it.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I see no reason to have a larger oven.

I can turn pies in minutes. Made anywhere from 2 pies to 15 at a time. Doesn't take long when they're in there for 60-80 seconds 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options

Why?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I see no reason to have a larger oven.

I can turn pies in minutes. Made anywhere from 2 pies to 15 at a time. Doesn't take long when they're in there for 60-80 seconds 
    My take as well.  There’s a reason the authentic pies in Naples are only 12 inches.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Why?
    Because I could get 3 of these for the price of mine. And I doubt mine makes any better pies than this would. I love my oven but it was $$$ for what it is.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    looks promising
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Why?
    Because I could get 3 of these for the price of mine. And I doubt mine makes any better pies than this would. I love my oven but it was $$$ for what it is.
    I think you need to use your Bollore for more stuff.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Why?
    This is true. I may do just that this weekend.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    I like the bollore floor size of 23x23. I make big pizzas. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    She’s a beaut, Clark!
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Thats the one I almost bought. I wasn't sure about having it on my covered back porch though. They are quality.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I like the bollore floor size of 23x23. I make big pizzas. 
    Ya that is the nice part. I can cook a 16" pizza with ease.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    ¿Que?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    The height of the opening for the big ooni seems, well, higher.  This 16” might be better than the original Koda for non-Pizza cooks, even if you want to stick to 12” pizzas.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

Why?
    This is true. I may do just that this weekend.
    You know I cook all kinds of stuff in my wood oven. Spatchcock chickens are next level from a wood oven. Oysters, roasted veggies, bacon wrapped dates, blistered shishito peppers, baked brie,- all kinds of goodness awaits...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    ¿Que?

It's been priced at $699 for months almost everywhere. Obviously they are feeling the competition and starting to drop their price now. And I guess they are coming out with new model and maybe trying to generate some capitol or move the original unit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    For y'all that have these units, can you run them at lower temps? I know they generate high temps for pizza, but can you run the oven at say 450 degrees? I assume the answer is yes but figured I'd ask.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    For y'all that have these units, can you run them at lower temps? I know they generate high temps for pizza, but can you run the oven at say 450 degrees? I assume the answer is yes but figured I'd ask.
    Yes, at least on the Roccbox. The flame can be modulated with the gas attachment.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    ¿Que?

It's been priced at $699 for months almost everywhere. Obviously they are feeling the competition and starting to drop their price now. And I guess they are coming out with new model and maybe trying to generate some capitol or move the original unit.
    When I bought mine about 18 months ago, it was 600(before 20% off). I see a 50/50 split online. It appears that the 100 dollar difference is for both burners v. one, though mine came with both.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    My Ooni can be dialed down as well. I don't know how low.
    Admittedly, it's a small area with rolling flames so it's tough to get a steady ambient temp reading. I'm still shaking a head sinus thing but hope to play with it more this weekend. I think you get what you pay for and the Roccbox looks to be better built compared to the Ooni. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas