Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just some simple burgers...

Options
Don't remember the last time I posted a cook here. Felt like I should contribute something. We made some simple bacon cheeseburgers last night. Back in November, after being told I was Type 2 diabetic for over 7 years, I was diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic. It's been a rough ride, with lots of rollercoasters but I've been making adjustments. One major one is watching what I eat and counting the carbs in everything that I eat so I know how much insulin to take. While I still occasionally eat a burger with a bun, most times I do a burger without a bun. Even dosing correctly, I don't like watching my blood glucose rise on my Continuous Blood Glucose Meter (CGM). It's not worth it. I've gotten to where I almost prefer a burger with no bun, but I do miss a side of fries or tater tots. I'm going to make a conscious effort to start taking more pictures of my cooks and posting them up even if they are boring cooks like burgers. Seems like not many cooks are getting posted here much anymore which is a shame.

Duke still get his burgers with a bun. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Way to get er done and take care of yourself...for you and your family!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Griffin said:
     I'm going to make a conscious effort to start taking more pictures of my cooks and posting them up even if they are boring cooks like burgers. Seems like not many cooks are getting posted here much anymore which is a shame.
    You know, I think more than a few of us around here are guilty of posting "boring" cooks on some OT threads.  I'll try to post more solo cooks too. Hopefully some others will join in by posting more cook threads. 

Love the cook and I'm glad Duke is loving it too.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Nicely done sir!

Thanks

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Way to get er done and take care of yourself...for you and your family!

Thanks. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Griffin said:
     I'm going to make a conscious effort to start taking more pictures of my cooks and posting them up even if they are boring cooks like burgers. Seems like not many cooks are getting posted here much anymore which is a shame.
    You know, I think more than a few of us around here are guilty of posting "boring" cooks on some OT threads.  I'll try to post more solo cooks too. Hopefully some others will join in by posting more cook threads. 

Love the cook and I'm glad Duke is loving it too.

I used to love checking in here every morning to see what others had cooked, but lately there has been less and less to check and more OT stuff. I'll take some pics of the boring chicken legs I'm gonna grill up tonight.

Rowlett, Texas

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I appreciate your post. A lot of folks post involved, and complicated cooks. I'm guilty of that - but we do it because we love to cook and share our adventures. Most of the time though we all cook relatively simple meals - like burgers. They are still worthy. Your burgers look delicious. My wife and I made burgers last week for the first time in a long time. I had almost forgotten just how delicious they can be.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the new diagnosis and dietary changes.  That being said, that burger looks amazing.  I've never thought to try using lettuce as a bun but it looks like I need to.  Seems like it would be a nice change of pace.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Well done sir,last pic is the money shot. Looks like a crowd pleaser.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know if this is helpful or not, but have you tried using portobello mushrooms instead of buns? Never tried it myself, but it might be an alternative. At least it LOOKS more like a bun.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Don't know if this is helpful or not, but have you tried using portobello mushrooms instead of buns? Never tried it myself, but it might be an alternative. At least it LOOKS more like a bun.

OMG!!! That looks delicious! I want that sooo bad.
    You guys are killing me with the pictures.
    I've been put on a BLAND diet for the next two weeks while the doctor figures out what to do with my gallbladder.
    I'm going to have to stop looking at these awesome food pictures, I'm about to cave into the temptation. I'm starting to think that sever abdominal pain might be worth it.
    So far my diet consist of oatmeal, apples, plain canned tuna fish and wheat crackers.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A cook is what you make it. If someone thinks it’s simple or boring, then they don’t have to click on it. 

But sometimes your virtual eggnerd buddies like to see that you’re still at it :)

And thanks for reminding me that a lettuce wrapped burger is a great way to enjoy one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Is that a neighbor in the last picture? No way in hell your son is that big! God I’m getting old. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice cook @griffin - man O man Duke is growing. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Griffin
    Options

I might try that next time, thanks for the idea.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Is that a neighbor in the last picture? No way in hell your son is that big! God I’m getting old. 
    Nice cook @griffin - man O man Duke is growing. 

He's growing up faster than I like. Hard to believe he's five already.

Rowlett, Texas

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Great cook.  Great post.  And good on you for working on your diet to improve your health.  Well done all around.  Keep posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Good to hear from you, and congrats on making positive lifestyle changes. Inspiring for others
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I'd be very proud of those burgers.  If you have ever heard of a Burger Chain called In n' Out, they made a whole living selling burgers with a lettuce-wrap bun.  They call it "Protein Style."
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    @Griffin have you tried real whole wheat breads? I make my own from 100% stoneground whole wheat flour. In moderation, it doesn't do anything unwanted to my blood sugar levels. I've been making it for about three years now. Using it for my daily sammiches as well as rolls to have with dinner. When I think I'm going to want a burger (that coming week), I make a burger bun (or two). Sure, it's a bit of effort to make the bread, but the payoff is well worth it. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Griffin
    Options
    1911Man said:
    @Griffin have you tried real whole wheat breads? I make my own from 100% stoneground whole wheat flour. In moderation, it doesn't do anything unwanted to my blood sugar levels. I've been making it for about three years now. Using it for my daily sammiches as well as rolls to have with dinner. When I think I'm going to want a burger (that coming week), I make a burger bun (or two). Sure, it's a bit of effort to make the bread, but the payoff is well worth it. 
    I’d love to get that recipe. Occasionally, I’ll eat some Dave’s Killer thin bread but that still 13g carb a slice

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    EagleIII said:
    I'd be very proud of those burgers.  If you have ever heard of a Burger Chain called In n' Out, they made a whole living selling burgers with a lettuce-wrap bun.  They call it "Protein Style."
    In n’ Out it the devil. Here in Texas Whataburger reigns supreme. Lol

Rowlett, Texas

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    For type 2 diabetics, white flour is EVIL. Avoid it at ALL costs. Most people would be well advised to do the same since it turns to pure sugar in your body and has pretty much zero benefits. It causes more harm than anything else.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, I agree, would love to see any simple cook posts, even if you have done it several times before.  What @SciAggie said....    
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.