Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Questions on 5G and Obsolescence - OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,473
edited February 2020 in Off Topic
A year or two ago I got a letter from Tracfone, stating that support for 2G networks was going away and that I'd have to replace my flip-phone.  I had purchased it in 2007, so I certainly got my money's worth out of it, and got a modest LG smartphone for $60 (all my data/minutes transferred over).  It works fine.

Got another letter from them yesterday.  It warned my new phone isn't compatible with 5G nor something called "Voice Over LTE (VoLTE)" and that I needed to buy a new phone and "you must take action today".  It provided a website to order a new phone, my-tf.co/voltephones , not the normal www.tracfone.com .  I clicked on it, and it did redirect me to another website, shop.tracfone.com/blablabla, which still isn't quite the standard format.  

I didn't think 5G was even "turned on" yet, but I highly doubt that 4G will be turned off this quickly.  I plan on continuing to use my current phone until it does quit working, but was curious if anyone here knows more about this; I feel that this "voltephone" entity is trying to scare me into upgrading before I need to.  Thoughts?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    My I phone 8 is over two years old. I plan to drive it until about this time next year when the next I phone is supposed to be 5G compatible. It may or may not mean anything but I am skipping this years which is not. About 3 years is about as long as you can reasonably plan on using a smart phone before needing to replace it.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I don’t care to discuss phones at this time. I’m still too tender after decimating my two year old but unblemished iPhone X earlier this week when I set a dumbbell onto it at the gym. I’m still so mad at myself....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We build ATT towers and 3G is still active on most towers. We are installing 5G but it’s still a very small part of the bandwidth. Most towers are up to 5-7 sets of radios and at most one set is running 5G the rest are 4G. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    As I understand it, the current iteration of 5G isn't "real" 5G anyway.  (much like the initial 4G wasn't LTE).  I think there is plenty of time.

NOLA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I would have been hesitant to click the link. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I'm also with Tracfone and haven't received any sort of notification that I have to upgrade my phone RIGHT NOW.
    I'd be wary of that link.
    My phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro and I have no idea (nor do I care) if it is 5G compatible (which I doubt it is) as It meets my limited mobile phone needs just fine as is.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Call your provider directly.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I don’t care to discuss phones at this time. I’m still too tender after decimating my two year old but unblemished iPhone X earlier this week when I set a dumbbell onto it at the gym. I’m still so mad at myself....
    Same here mine got ran through washing machine a few weeks back, yes I like the new phone but the old one was in mint condition.  Was🤦‍♂️
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    Ouch!  

Thanks for the info, guys.  I had my "Duh!" moment and went directly to Tracfone's website, and "Shop" took me to the same link provided in the letter, so it's legit.  That I have to buy a new phone right now is Not legit, apparently.  

Thanks again.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    That’s what you get for trying to be physically fit  ;)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I'm amazed at the repetitive number of 12 ounce curls I can execute on a daily basis.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    They have some very limited spaces with full 5g. Some football stadiums and convention centers
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    That’s what you get for trying to be physically fit  ;)
    Wife washed hers. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    what is with everyone washing their phones? It reminds me of a certain boss who wanted a new work laptop. He told someone “Hold this “ and then he let go of it when the guys hand was still a foot away.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Like @Botch definition of a "squat" ....reaching down to pick up a doughnut, that had fallen to the floor.

Brother🏋️‍♂️
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky