Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Cookbook

Options
 I may be out of line for not searching the forum for this very topic, however I am going to risk it.
   I have had the Big Green Egg cookbook for several years but I have never cooked a single recipe. I even thumbed through it last week and nothing really stood out.  @DoubleEgger comment on another thread made me think maybe I am missing something.
  All that to say, what are your favorite recipes in the Big Green Egg Cookbook?

South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We have one.  Bridget bought it.  I'm not a recipe guy.  Hard to imagine anything in it is complicated, but I'll dig it out of the huge cookbook library and check it out.
    Options
    I’ll respond when I have more time later today. 

Time to make fhe doughnuts...
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited February 2020
    Options
    ok fine, I am remiss. I haven't posted a cook in a while so, this weekend I will cook something from my BGE cook book ( A fine gift from BB2019) and post it.. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I have that book. I’ve made only one or two recipes. 

If memory serves me correctly, I think my biggest issue with the book is that most, of not all recipes are predicated on ingredients that I don’t have handy; and I keep a very full pantry and spice rack. Because I find the prospect of hunting for exotic ingredients just to make a single recipe burdensome, I have largely refrained from using the book. But I haven’t cracked the book in a number of years and my memory could be faulty. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You may also enjoy surfing through the Recipes of the Georgia Mountain EggFest. http://mountainegg.com/Recipes/
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

All.....Michael needs more time....and really is going to say he needs someone to hold it for him. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2020
    Options
    My very first post was a meal made entirely from that cookbook. That was PD(Pre Diamond Plate) lol.  If memory servers me right it was good food especially the turnovers. After that I started finding cooks on the forum I liked.  

It was fun looking back at the crappy pics and homemade rigs. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Thanks @Hotch, I have cooked several recipes from that link, very handy resource.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Wow @Mattman3969 that is quite a spread, those turnovers look awesome I will check them out.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've had that cookbook for years. I think I got it for Christmas the first year I had my Egg. Have never cooked anything out of it and nothing in it really stood out to me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My brother got it for xmas several years ago and never used it.  Gave it to me and I've used it once maybe twice.  The roasted cauliflower is good.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    We haven't used it.

Almost all recipes we use are either from Eggheads or something that Boss Lady and I have developed over time.

We've learned all setup and techniques here.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    I just acquired this cookbook. First cook will include Beef Kabobs with Chimichurri pg 59 and Grilled  Pineapple Upside Down  Cake, but will substitute my Captains marinated pineapple, on pg 244. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    The 5 cheese mac n cheese is really good.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    That mac n cheese would be good with the cover dish, bourbon brined barbecue turkey
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options

All.....Michael needs more time....and really is going to say he needs someone to hold it for him. 
    I drove an hour and surveyed 6 elevators this morning before you even rolled out of bed.  B)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Page 34 - Asparagus, I prefer to use all white asparagus for this recipe if you can find it. It’s a seasonal item. 
    Page 45- Smoked Mushrooms - A PITA to make but it’s the best thing in the cookbook. I make these at Butt Blast and they are well
    received even though I get heckled for how long it takes. You can omit the alder wood chips, use a cedar plank etc. Dealer’s choice. Cut the sauce recipe in half. 
    Page 59- Beef Kabobs. Nothing fancy here but still an easy win. 
    Page 80- Porkloin. I pretty much stick to the recipe. Easy cook. 
    Page 95- Pork Chops with Poblano - More involved that a standard cook but it’s worth it. Excellent. 
    Page 165- Mac and Cheese- Not the best mac and cheese I’ve eaten but it’s better than 90% of what I’ve had. 
    Page 172  - prosciutto green beans - Easy peasy. Prosciutto is so much easier to deal with than bacon. Cooks up so much faster. 
    Page 199 - Tomato Sauce - We love this stuff. If you like basil, you’ll love this too. We use it on pizzas as well. 
    Page 200- Spicy Tomato Sauce- a lot less involved that the garden fresh sauce. A nice flavor amp for San Marzanos

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    cool I will check those out thanks for saving some leg work @DoubleEgger
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pro tip: If you cut your own bacon you can cut it paper thin and it's really much better for delicate wrapping like asparagus or shrimp.
    Pork chops poblano was on my list 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    My old man has the book. I took pictures of two recipes when we went to their house: the poblano pork chop and some mojo ribs with a habanero glaze. Glad to see the pork chops are good. May have to make them this weekend.
    Las Vegas, NV

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I like the smoked turkey and the short ribs are a crowd pleaser I would highly recommend.  Mac n cheese is top notch too.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I received 1 in a cooks goody bag @ a Colorado Eggfest (not sure which yr, went to 3 of them) . . . gave it to wife's cousin who has a small BGE . . . I think wifey telling her about all the great tasting food I was fixing  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap