Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Island Plans

Options
Kent8621
Kent8621 Posts: 843
edited February 2020 in Off Topic
My wife and I are starting to plan a trip to Hawaii for our 10 year in January.  Our goal would be to explore 2-3 days of a 7 day trip and spend a few days relaxing.  Pearl Harbor will be one stop for sure but other than that we really have no plans.  we are looking for pointers on stuff to do, which island to stay some things to do and try would be great.  we are just starting to plan so any advice from the group would be great. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Have been 3 times.  I would say do Honolulu first and get it out of the way.  Then jump of to one of the other islands.  We really enjoy Maui.  I like the Kaanapali area as well as the Lahaina area.  Kauai is the next choice for us.  We are actually looking at renting a house in July this year.  Trying to decide which island to go to.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never been but am thinking hawaii needs 2 weeks min
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    We have usually done 7-10 days

Midland, TX XLBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Same advice as Hook em. I would get off of Oahu as soon as your done with the Pearl Harbor tour.  It's real easy to get around Maui and enjoy the local flavor. Road to Hana, up country, surfing areas, various hiking trails and waterfalls, whale watching (if it's the right time of year) and snorkeling or scuba. It's a beautiful place and you don't have to work too hard to enjoy it's beauty. I'm jealous. Enjoy!!!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Hike the Kalalau Trail to Hanakāpī‘Ai Beach

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    @g37 is a resident if my memory serves me correctly. Perhaps he can lend a hand for some less touristy spots. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Only been to Oahu but we ate here based off some recommendations of a guy I used to work with who grew up here. https://www.helenashawaiianfood.com/index.html
    It’s amazing the laulau and short ribs are amazing.  It’s not far from Pearl Harbor.  

Also malsadas at Leonard’s (filled pastries) are really good.  

Get a shaved ice with the beans in it it’s really good (masumotos on the north shore is pretty iconic for it).  

Snorkeling at sharks cove is pretty fun but you need your own gear.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Thoughts compiled for a family some years ago having spent a few years there "keeping the world safe for democracy"   B)  But still rings solid for me.  

Okay-here's the "official' tourist web site:  and I am not an expert by any stretch but here goes....

http://www.gohawaii.com/  This link will give you the island by island things to see/do...and is pretty objective. 

Here are some thoughts about a trip to HI.

Given none of us know how many times we may end up visiting HI the only "mandatory stop" on my list is Pearl Harbor on the island of Oahu.  So, if you decide to spend time on one of the other islands, I would offer that instead of flying direct to the "other" (to be determined) island, you fly through Honolulu and spend a couple of nights there.  Hawaiian  Airlines flies to all the other islands on about an hourly basis so jumping to the final destination is easy.  And since almost all flights to the mainland depart Honolulu in late afternoon/early evening (depending on where you land) it's easy to get back to Honolulu on departure day from the other islands.  Flights from the mainland to Honolulu are frequent and depart from almost any major airport as you know-just remember that when you get to the Pacific Ocean you are about half-way there.

Stopping on Oahu for a couple of days, in addition to Pearl Harbor I would visit the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace to get a flavor of the history. If time permits then go the National Cemetery of the Pacific at the Punchbowl, the Pali Lookout and make the trip to climb Diamond Head.   The North Shore surf and beaches are some of the best in the world and there's great snorkeling at Hanauma(sp?) Bay. 

But if I had to spend the majority of time on one island in Hawaii it would be Kauai-probably the greatest diversity of scenery with the Waimea Canyon and north coast and definitely lagging Oahu and Maui in development.  The above link gives you a good representation of what's there.  I'm not a big fan of Maui, although Lahiana is a neat town and the windy road trip to the top of Haleakala is worth doing once. The beaches are great, but the island is getting too developed.

So, that leaves the Big Island (Hawaii) which has it's own character and driven by the volcanic history.  If you want to see flowing lava then that's the place and if you are into adventure sports you can snow board/snow ski and surf all on the same island.

(I visited Molokai for a day trip while staying on Maui (toss-up between Molokai and Lanai for the trip) and since I don't play golf and  others suggested Molokai, made the trip-not worth it-would not do it again and don't feel like I gained much by the visit.)

Hope the above helps frame your trip.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I love Helena’s Hawaiian foods. Some people don’t like but its kind of an acquired taste.  I’m not really into sweets but malasadas are pretty good.  If u like poke (raw fish/sashimi ahi) visit taniokas.  I swear I  could eat at taniokas every day.   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I went a few years ago..

Polynesian cultural center is a good way to spend a day.

Matsumoto's  Shaved Ice on the North Shore

Pearl Harbor get your tickets ahead of time, all time slots fill up quick and you will find once on the platform its a quite somber experience.

Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour over the Volcano.

Gotta have Spam and eggs and some Poi when your there...

Diamond Head hike is another good way to go..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Love Hawaii.  We've been 5 times for a total of more than 60 days.  You can't go wrong on any island.  With that said, we love Kauai.  It's about 30 miles in diameter and as @lousubcap noted it has such an incredible diversity with everything you'd want on an island.  Great beaches, Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon (Grand Canyon of the Pacific), a swamp at 5000+ feet (wettest spot on earth with 700 inches of rain per year), a desert-like area that gets 8 inches of rain per year, waterfalls (Jurassic Park, Fantasy Island, among others), evidence of a highly intelligent ancient civilization (Menehune fish pond), etc, etc, etc. 

Did I mention that it has all this on an island that is only about 30 miles in diameter?

If you go there, make sure that you get a reservation at The Beach House restaurant.  It is about a 20 yard walk from our favorite place to stay - in a condo complex on the south shore near Poipu.  

http://www.kuhioshores.net/

If you don't have time to hike the Na Pali coast as was suggested by @thetrim (which would absolutely be a bucket list experience) then see it by boat - but go with one of the vendors who has a license to take you from the north shore (most have to take you from the south and it is a much longer ride and you see less of the best part of the coast).  

Take a helicopter ride over the island if you can.

If you want to learn to surf, the most consistent beginner surf wave I've ever seen is at the Marriott there and they have lessons.

Take a kayak tour up the river from the Marriott and see the Menehune fish pond and the area where the opening scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed.

Go to the north shore beaches where some Elvis movies and South Pacific were filmed.

Go to the public beach by the Sheraton and jump off the cliff that Harrison Ford and Anne Heche jumped off in "6 Days and 7 Nights" (maybe it was their stunt doubles... and definitely watch where the locals jump before you do the 40 foot plunge).

Grab a meal at the Brennecke Beach Broiler.  It's an open air, 2nd story casual beachview restaurant with a salad bar - so it doesn't feel like fine dining - but the fish there is as good as any place I've ever eaten.

Sorry this is so long.  But the last point to make is that what surprises most people about Hawaii is how many hours they spend driving there.  Driving from place to place on the Big Island or Maui or Oahu (although all of them are awesome in their own ways) can take hours.  Kauai is small enough with incredible diversity that you spend more time doing stuff and less time driving.

With that said, I agree with other comments that you should spend a day or two on Oahu and see Pearl Harbor.  If you have time there, take a hike to the Makapuu Tide Pools (you have to hop the fence off the lighthouse trail and hike down the cliff).  And know that the best snorkeling on Oahu is on the west coast at the beach park near the power plant.

I hope that helps.

If you end up going to other islands, feel free to PM me for some "off the beaten path" suggestions.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    Options
    I have a bunch of Hyatt points and run the risk of spending this week planning a trip there now....

This continues to be the costliest website on Al Gore's internet
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I've been to the islands multiple times and all of the suggestions above are great. I would highly recommend that whichever island(s) you go to, you should purchase and read the "Revealed" guidebooks ahead of time. (i.e. Maui Revealed, Kauai Revealed, etc.). They definitely tell you where to go off the beaten path, what restaurants to go to, where to stay, and where to avoid. Well worth the investment.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • Kent8621
    Options
    thank you all this is fantastic.  and anymore is appreciated.  i have been looking at all of this.  we are not big hikers we have two small kids and we like to sit when we have time, which is not often.  i think we will do more than we anticipated and this is something we have both always wanted to do so no excuse like our 10 year anniversary.  

Boiler Up!!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    With 2 small kids, the Kauai recommendation becomes even more appropriate.  Less driving.

And the Kuhio Shores condo sits on a small peninsula between 2 beaches.  They call the one on the east side "baby beach" because the reef breaks the waves and even babies can wander in the water there and see tropical fish and sometimes sea turtles.  And if you get one with a lanai that faces south you can just sit on it and watch the turtles play in the waves below you - and see the surfers just to your right (west) on a decent wave.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Kent8621
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    With 2 small kids, the Kauai recommendation becomes even more appropriate.  Less driving.

And the Kuhio Shores condo sits on a small peninsula between 2 beaches.  They call the one on the east side "baby beach" because the reef breaks the waves and even babies can wander in the water there and see tropical fish and sometimes sea turtles.  And if you get one with a lanai that faces south you can just sit on it and watch the turtles play in the waves below you - and see the surfers just to your right (west) on a decent wave.
    we wont be taking the kids we want to enjoy it.....

Boiler Up!!

• thetrim
    Options
    My wife and I have been to Hawaii twice.  She was pregnant both times...
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Ive been several times as well.  Most everyone's suggestions are dead on.  Maui depending on time, has the whales that come into the cove you can almost feel when they have gas they are so close.  Also maui has the "road to hanna".  you can get a cd at most gas stations nearby.  It has a narration of exactly where to turn, to see the black sand beaches, waterfalls, etc etc.  Like a tour guide in the car.  It's an all day trip but very nice to see.  Im making this up but imagine 794 turns in 11 miles as you go up the volcano and then back down.  Hitting every hidden gem, and small town.  nice to see.  Maui is your romantic getaway for sure.  Beautiful is an understatement. 
    Columbus, Ohio