Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do you sous vide? Reverse sear snob caves and orders one

Curious how many folks compliment their cooking arsenal with a Sous vide machine?  I've protested them for a long time since I understand their place for hotel conventions when you need to cook for the masses and not give people food poising but have long held a view that there's no need for one at the home level especially when equipped with multiple BBQ's.

Talking some smack about how much better reverse sear is over the holidays, a friend pushed me to give SV a fair crack so I researched and bought one over the holidays.  I got an Inkbird one from amazon since it was 1/2 the price or more the name brand machines, it had good ratings and seemed to come with all the features of the more expensive units.

I posted a video review on my YouTube if you're interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZXOV_pbyc&feature=youtu.be 

If you want the punchline without watching the video here is what I've found.  The machine works great for:
(1) consistency (same result every time)
(2) Safety (no second guessing)
(3) convenience (out and about, anywhere in that 2-4 hour window is fine).

I tested the water temp using my Thermapen and it read the temp the exact same so the claims of accuracy seem legit.

All in all I am happy I've got one, I still prefer the smoke of a reverse sear but there are some days where I've got other things on the go and this is really handy.  

Curious what you've found best to cook with it for those that also have one?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I do, not so much for personal but larger cooks ....easy way to do a couple hundred wings 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    I do, not so much for personal but larger cooks ....easy way to do a couple hundred wings 
    Ya I could see that being handy.  Where I liked it was on the holiday break when we had a bunch of family over and kids wanted to be outside playing etc.  and I wasn't paying attention to the cook as much as I would normally.

For those situations, I see the point ... can you still get crispy skin after cooking sous vide? I found the steak sear not as good 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    It's a great tool to have and a must for leftovers and bsl breast

It's great to be able to hold proteins until you are ready for them 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    Ya I could see that being handy.  Where I liked it was on the holiday break when we had a bunch of family over and kids wanted to be outside playing etc.  and I wasn't paying attention to the cook as much as I would normally.

For those situations, I see the point ... can you still get crispy skin after cooking sous vide? I found the steak sear not as good 
    Sous vide then fry no flour
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Lobster tails. Exact temp without fear of over cooking them.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    The best thing they are for is tuff cuts of beef (chuck and eye of the round are my favorites) and frozen bbq left overs 

@jtcBoynton I’m going to try lobster tails sv!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lkapigian
    Hans61 said:
    The best thing they are for is tuff cuts of beef (chuck and eye of the round are my favorites) and frozen bbq left overs 

@jtcBoynton I’m going to try lobster tails sv!
    Sous vide chuck is great !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thanks for posting the punchline - I appreciate that.

My own view is that SV is another tool in the cooking toolbox.  Great for some things, less so for others.  But it’s also something you want to play around with, as different times and temperatures on the same cut can yield vastly different results.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jtcBoynton
    SV is an excellent tool for cooking to a precise temperature and holding an item at a precise temperature.  You cannot cook SV at temperatures high enough to get a Maillard reaction which is very desirable for some items.  SV is not good for cooking items that require air bubbles expanding during cooking - like soufflés.  Used appropriately, SV is a great addition to the home kitchen.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Curious how many folks compliment their cooking arsenal with a Sous vide machine?  I've protested them for a long time since I understand their place for hotel conventions when you need to cook for the masses and not give people food poising but have long held a view that there's no need for one at the home level especially when equipped with multiple BBQ's.

Talking some smack about how much better reverse sear is over the holidays, a friend pushed me to give SV a fair crack so I researched and bought one over the holidays.  I got an Inkbird one from amazon since it was 1/2 the price or more the name brand machines, it had good ratings and seemed to come with all the features of the more expensive units.

I posted a video review on my YouTube if you're interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZXOV_pbyc&feature=youtu.be 

If you want the punchline without watching the video here is what I've found.  The machine works great for:

I tested the water temp using my Thermapen and it read the temp the exact same so the claims of accuracy seem legit.

All in all I am happy I've got one, I still prefer the smoke of a reverse sear but there are some days where I've got other things on the go and this is really handy.  

Thanks for the info.  For some reason the video link doesn't work.  I've considered SV for a while.....very much on the fence.  Can it really get much better than reverse sear is where I rest my thoughts on the subject.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    @RajunCajun imho no it can’t, but some may disagree. Gugafoods sv everything youtube channel is a awesome source for sv cooks
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited January 2020
    Once I went SV for steaks, I never went back to RS.

Just one man's a$$*ole, I mean opinion but it can't be beat.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RajunCajun
    @Hans61 and @dmchicago

I am always open minded and I think I will review SV again with a clear mind.  Hans61, thanks for the Gugafoods reference, I will check it out.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Curious how many folks compliment their cooking arsenal with a Sous vide machine?  I've protested them for a long time since I understand their place for hotel conventions when you need to cook for the masses and not give people food poising but have long held a view that there's no need for one at the home level especially when equipped with multiple BBQ's.

Thanks for the info.  For some reason the video link doesn't work.  I've considered SV for a while.....very much on the fence.  Can it really get much better than reverse sear is where I rest my thoughts on the subject.

Trying again. Thanks for the heads up 
    https://youtu.be/8gZXOV_pbyc

• RajunCajun
    Seems like the method is to SV and then sear on the BGE.  Has anyone ever done the opposite; seared on the BGE and then SV in the water bath?
  • jtcBoynton
    edited January 2020
    SV then sear is Reverse Sear.  Reverse Sear is a two heat method - first low heat to get evenly cooked through steak and then high heat sear to create a flavorable crust.

A standard method of sear first and then finish with low heat can be done with SV. It does however soften up the crust and you lose some of the flavor into the juices that accumulate in the cooking bag.

Final results of SV reverse sear compared to more traditional reverse sear can be the same.  It is however easier to hit the internal temps you want using SV. SV reverse sear will also make the timing of meal prep much easier. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
     The chocolate pots alone make it worth the money. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    edited January 2020
    I've done both with steak. While I appreciate the precision, flexibility, and consistent color of a SV steak, it's very difficult to get the same char you can get with RS. When it comes out of the SV bag, it will be very wet. Even drying off with a paper towel, when you go to sear, you're steaming the water off before you start to sear. With RS, you're drying the exterior the entire time, so when you go to sear, you get the best char.
    BTW, the best char I've ever done is searing cowboy style (i.e. direct on red hot coals.) I've never told SWMBO and she loves it. ;)
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • RajunCajun
    I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Inkbird today.  Just doing a little due diligence first and looking at a few of the others.  I am evidently bored.
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited January 2020
    I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Inkbird today.  Just doing a little due diligence first and looking at a few of the others.  I am evidently bored.
    We did a chateaubrand last night with it that was to die for. Salt brined in the fridge for a few days, duck fat for  binder, fogo black for rub and then three hours at 129. Rest and then sear. 

Really pleased with this thing 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I notice lots of fluid in the bag when I SV a steak, I’ve gone back to RS or TREX.  This is on HEB wet aged prime NY strips. 

@unoriginalusername - cool experiment request: Compare weights PRE and POST cook for SV vs RS. For the same cut and similar pre-cooked weight, which method retains more juicy goodness?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RajunCajun
    We did a chateaubrand last night with it that was to die for. Salt brined in the fridge for a few days, duck fat for  binder, fogo black for rub and then three hours at 129. Rest and then sear. 

Pulled the trigger.  Thanks for the helpful info
  • I notice lots of fluid in the bag when I SV a steak, I’ve gone back to RS or TREX.  This is on HEB wet aged prime NY strips. 

@unoriginalusername - cool experiment request: Compare weights PRE and POST cook for SV vs RS. For the same cut and similar pre-cooked weight, which method retains more juicy goodness?
    Good idea. Will try this 
  • I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Inkbird today.  Just doing a little due diligence first and looking at a few of the others.  I am evidently bored.

Pulled the trigger.  Thanks for the helpful info

Congrats. Let me know what you think after cooking some stuff. The channel SV everything has lots of awesome info 
  • I notice lots of fluid in the bag when I SV a steak, I’ve gone back to RS or TREX.  This is on HEB wet aged prime NY strips. 

What time and temp do you typically use for a steak?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I notice lots of fluid in the bag when I SV a steak, I’ve gone back to RS or TREX.  This is on HEB wet aged prime NY strips. 

Couple hours at 125, then a sear per side for low end of medium rare. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Couple hours at 125, then a sear per side for low end of medium rare. 
    Haven’t gone that low yet.  Been doing three hours at 129 so far 
  • jtcBoynton
    If you have any food safety concerns about that blade tenderized prime cut of steak, cook it at 130ºF for the proper amount of time (depending on thickness). This will meet the generally accepted safety standards and give you a nice medium rare finish - which is the best finish in the tender/moist compromise you have to make when cooking a steak.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Après Ski is on night two of freezer diving leftovers reheated via sous vide.

You can't beat it for leftovers. Pop the frozen bag in the hot tub (go soak in your hot tub) and in 90 to 120 minutes enjoy dinner.

It does take some planning to package future meals in proper serving sized bags but it pays off when you just want to just relax and serve up a fantastic meal with very little work. The freezer is full of brisket and pork just awaiting a soak in the sous vide hot tub on a cold evening. 

If your unit has wifi you can set it to come on mid afternoon and get those ribeyes a perfect medium rare before you sear them.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX