Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can someone explain St. Louis cut ribs?

I've made St. Louis cut ribs several times, and every time I've wondered why anyone eats them. They always have tubes of white cartilage running through them, which makes for some pretty unappetizing bites. The other side of the rib (the side with the bone in it) is good, but it's only about two-three inches long; the remaining two-three inches is the fatty cartilage stuff. Basically half of each rib is kind of nasty on account of the cartilage. I always get mine from the same butcher. Is he cutting them wrong or something? 
Southern California

Comments

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    lkapigian said:
    What you are describing are whole Spate Ribs, cutting that plate section out gives you St Louis , the trimmed section gives you rib tips 

I buy whole and cut them down to st Louis, cheaper plus is gets you the rib tips which is also some great Q
    So a proper St. Louis cut should have no tubes of cartilage at all? The butcher I go to calls these St. Louis cut. They are certainly not full spares because they are much too rectangular looking. Does that mean he's doing a bad job trimming?
    Southern California
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    bicktrav said:
    lkapigian said:
    What you are describing are whole Spate Ribs, cutting that plate section out gives you St Louis , the trimmed section gives you rib tips 

I buy whole and cut them down to st Louis, cheaper plus is gets you the rib tips which is also some great Q
    So a proper St. Louis cut should have no tubes of cartilage at all? The butcher I go to calls these St. Louis cut. They are certainly not full spares because they are much too rectangular looking. Does that mean he's doing a bad job trimming?
    Sounds like bad trimming 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bicktrav
    lkapigian said:
    bicktrav said:
    lkapigian said:

Sounds like bad trimming 
    Too bad. I like the butcher a lot, and he's got good meat, but definitely sounds like he is not trimming it right. Will have to get my spares elsewhere, I guess.
    Southern California
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    bicktrav said:
    lkapigian said:
    bicktrav said:
    lkapigian said:

Sounds like bad trimming 
    Too bad. I like the butcher a lot, and he's got good meat, but definitely sounds like he is not trimming it right. Will have to get my spares elsewhere, I guess.
    Or just ask him to trim them as per the pic above. If he shows his butt about it, then find another butcher. Most butcher shops are very helpful. Service is why they still exist. 
  • lkapigian
    Like @DoubleEgger says, just ask....but if so inclined , by whole and trim yourself , it really is quite easy once you've done a couple and you yeild a lot more meat for less $$$
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I did a post where I showed how i trimmed full spares into st louis style:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1222573/trimming-st-louis-spareribs#latest

You can do it with a sharp knife and a little bit of know how. Takes maybe five minutes.
    Mountain View, CA

• Buying a St. Louis cut probably cost more than buying the slab of spares per pound and you’ll get less meat. 

Get the slab of spares, trim it yourself, and cook the rib tips for your mid cook snack. 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    @DoubleEgger
    You got that right. Hit Scott’s and Sweatmans on my way back to Va Beach. Scott’s for the win.
  • bicktrav
    dmourati said:
    I did a post where I showed how i trimmed full spares into st louis style:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1222573/trimming-st-louis-spareribs#latest

You can do it with a sharp knife and a little bit of know how. Takes maybe five minutes.
    Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to trim it myself next time. When you do it, how much cartilage ends up in the final ribs?
    Southern California
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Not much cartilage remaining when I trim the spares myself. Be careful your first time. It is a little weird working the knife in that fashion. I watched lots of Youtube videos.
    Mountain View, CA
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    The rib tips are also good to put in your baked beans.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Great thread. Now I know why spare ribs should be trimmed. Thanks. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I mean, the whole idea of st Louis cuts is less cartilage for people that are grossed out by eating carcasses. 
    am i the only one who likes the cartilage?  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lkapigian
    Mickey said:
    you and me,that and Gizzards @Mickey
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    lkapigian said:
    Mickey said:
    you and me,that and Gizzards @Mickey
    my wife hates to go to dinner with any of the above.... that and chicken legs
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    lkapigian said:

The problem here is finding ribs that haven't been trimmed down to the bone on top. They don't leave any meat on the rib.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    When I buy them pre-trimmed St Louis ribs from somewhere like Costco, they usually still have some of the tubies in them. 

Picture from sucklebusters:
    BBQ Pork Ribs

I have had mixed results. Some were mostly good meat and I have had some that were too much of the cartilage. My wife really doesn't care for them compared to loin back, so I usually do the loin back ribs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.