Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant read thermometers

Options
Hi guys

I own a WEBER instant read thermo, but I dont think it's a good piece of equipment

I've read about the thermapen being the best there is but I dont want to spend 99 dlls on a thermometer

What other thermometer would you recommend?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thermopop - the Thermapen’s little brother. Nearly as good a performer for a fraction of the price. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lava tools Javelin pro duo.  Best one I’ve had and I think it’s around $50. It’s better than any Thermapen I’ve ever had. 

https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-d?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4__e372E5wIVh7zACh2t8QjTEAQYASABEgJUR_D_BwE
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Here is a link to  a great instant read thermo manufacturer:
    https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-d  I have one from each company (thermapen and a javelin, gotta have a back-up...) and for me me the accuracy and performance are equivalent.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am in the Thermopop camp. Even in Canada where everything is more expensive I think I only paid around $30 or $40 bucks for it a few years ago. Dickson BBQ site is showing the Thermopop at $39.99 right now. Great spot for BGE accesessory shopping. 
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Get on Thermoworks email list. They have sales fairly often. My thermapen is now down to a monthly cost of less than 75 cents.  Not much of a price to pay to make sure that expensive piece of meat doesn't get over cooked.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I second the comments on the Lava Tools Javelin Pro Duo. I have that as well as a Thermapen and for basically half price, the Javelin Pro Duo is a no brainer. Also, they offer a 15% discount with code "egghead". So, $46 and free shipping to US (not sure about shipping elsewhere).

As for Thermoworks mailing list, if you're looking for more spam, that's the ticket. I got tired of it and unsubscribed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I second the comments on the Lava Tools Javelin Pro Duo. I have that as well as a Thermapen and for basically half price, the Javelin Pro Duo is a no brainer. Also, they offer a 15% discount with code "egghead". So, $46 and free shipping to US (not sure about shipping elsewhere).

As for Thermoworks mailing list, if you're looking for more spam, that's the ticket. I got tired of it and unsubscribed.

Agree on the lavatools.  I think I paid about $32 as part of a Massdrop special.
    NOLA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Thermopop
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’m a belt a suspenders guy. I would get the thermapop and pen or lava tools. I know it’s a lot of money but it’s a critical tool. Should last a lifetime I have to pens that are 10 years old and still going. No issue. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I'm not at all disappointed to have spent the money for a thermapen, but if I ever need to replace I would strongly consider the javelin pro.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just replace it with a $30 Thermapop?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Why wouldn't you just replace it with a $30 Thermapop?
    I have a thermoworks pocket thermometer that I purchased just before the thermapops came out and it is a fine product, but that one stays in the house. I don't have a direct comparison to the pop and I'm not sure I can adequately explain why or describe any tangible differences, but I just prefer the pen.
    Stillwater, MN
  • PSC1
    PSC1 Posts: 7
    Options
    WOW; thanks for all the responses guys

I'll look into the thermapop and the javelin!
  • Givengold3
    Options
    I also have one of each.  The Thermapen at home and the Javelin at the cabin.  I do like the backlit function on the Javelin.  Otherwise, I’ve seen no difference between the two. 
    Concord, CA
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I have used them both, as well as the thermapen MK4 which is an awesome device.  The javelin and mk4 are very similar.  With boil water test both are very similar in speed and accuracy.  As long as you have one you trust.  Also calibrate the BGE internal thermometer on the front of your grill against either one of them, to calibrate it.
    Columbus, Ohio