Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size brisket? First time

Options
wolfetone
wolfetone Posts: 87
Hey everyone

ive never done a brisket despite having a green egg for a while

its just me, wife, and two very young kids. What size brisket should I get? I’m assuming there’s a certain cut off that even if you don’t need to cook for that many you still need a certain size brisket

ive heard so much about ‘brisket’ on the egg I thought I’d finally do one
Tiocfaidh!
Support 26+6=1 United Ireland

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Get a packer no matter, I always shoot for the 15 pound range ( stay with me ) and choice as a minimum , you will lose a couple pounds in trim and even more in the cook....you are putting a lot of effort into a cook, so don't cook the bare minimum, brisket freezes well and the extra will provide your family some good dinner @ a later dates....brisket chile etc, enjoy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited January 2020
    Options
    👆🏻
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Cool! Thanks!
    should I do a beef brisket or pork brisket? I just hear people raving about brisket on the green egg

I am also thinking about whether to do a pulled pork versus brisket whether that’s beef or pork, what’s your take on the differences?

thanks guys
    Tiocfaidh!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Keep it simple for your first one. 

Some tips:
    1. Follow @lkapigian advice regarding weight.
    2. Set up egg for indirect cooking.
    3. Test fit brisket while it is still in the wrapper and make necessary adjustment(s)
    4. Salt and pepper only.  When you think you have enough pepper, add more.  You want a nice crust.
    5. Fill up the egg with lump . . to bottom of your heat deflector/plate setter.
    6. Get egg stable and running around 275.  Don't sweat +/- 25 degrees.  Let it run for an hour at that temp before placing brisket on.
    7. Trust your egg settings.
    8. Run brisket nekkid through to the finish.  

*Use a drip pad elevated with foil balls or the like to keep it off of the heat deflector.
    ** Don't be afraid when the meat temp has not climbed for 4 hours.  It will.
    ***Probe for done-ness

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    If we give @lousubcap a wowser ping, hey may kindly send you his Brisket Info Packet.

Good luck and POST PICS OF YOUR PROGRESS/COOK.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    edited January 2020
    Options
    wolfetone said:
    Cool! Thanks!
    should I do a beef brisket or pork brisket? I just hear people raving about brisket on the green egg

I am also thinking about whether to do a pulled pork versus brisket whether that’s beef or pork, what’s your take on the differences?

thanks guys

start with the pork, its the easier cook, pretty foolproof.  pork is called a pork butt, a pork shoulder, a picnic. butt is the upper area of the pork shoulder, picnic the lower area. they all cook the same. brisket here is always beef
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @kl8ton - No wowser here but PM was sent to the OP.
    Regarding brisket size- if you find one that is even down around 12 lbs and is floppy then grab it had have at.  Most fun cook you can have on a BGE.
    And always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wolfetone
    Options
    So are you guys suggesting a beef brisket? Not pork?
    Tiocfaidh!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I have never come across a pork brisket on this side of the pond so given your title I aimed at the beef brisket.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    wolfetone said:
    So are you guys suggesting a beef brisket? Not pork?
    If this is your fist time doing anything "low and slow," a pork butt is a great first protein to try.  Relatively inexpensive and it is a very forgiving piece of meat that tolerates temperature and time overruns.  The finish window is large and timing is more predictable.  The pork shoulder also can handle a bit higher temperature for shorter cook time. 
    Grand Rapids MI